Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Revamping ZFGC  (Read 33852 times)

Revamping ZFGC
« on: March 05, 2011, 01:41:55 am »
With all these threads about this awesome website being down. Then why not up? Its called Innovation ZFGC did it about twice (started out on invissionfree, then a custom but not the greatest to what it is now) why dont we revamp the site in a whole new way and if the community could bring in some money (maybe advirtising) we could buy all the domains like ZFGC .com .org and .net so when ppl type those in it brings them to the site. And everybody seems to go to other places like DA or pokecommunity. so why dont we get spriters and fan gamers to come here? I'll go on DA

Xiphirx

wat
Re: Revamping ZFGC
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 01:51:12 am »
  • Xiphirx
What?

There was only one topic about this. We only really need one domain name :/

The site is fine... not sure why you want to revamp it (although a upgrade to SMF 2.0 might be nice)

And please, do not go spamming ZFGC all over DA.
  • For The Swarm

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 01:53:24 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yeah I mean...

In all seriousness, there are people way more capable and more suited for advertising. Leave it to the people who actually have some form of claim to the forum who won't smear it by spamming it :\
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 02:33:27 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
Well, we tried something a little while back, which didn't turn out to nice. People here (no offense) don't really like change, whether it would help or not, rather... they don't want to try something drastically different (face it, all the 'revival's have pretty much been the exact same thing :P)

If it were up to me, I'd drop the Zelda Fan Game Central name and just keep it as ZFGC with no meaning, shift the focus a little bit. Plus all that other stuff that we suggested back. I'd still like to see a merge with GDU, which I think would be nice, no matter who's running it. >_>

I do care about ZFGC even though at times I may not show it, but seeing the place as it is, really sucks, and even if things are difficult, it would be nice for a change.

also lol DA, yeah no.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 03:59:59 am »
Zordon's Funky Grass Cutters is a go then?
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 05:31:11 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I'd still like to see a merge with GDU, which I think would be nice, no matter who's running it. >_>

I don't know if you've noticed, but GD-U is pretty much shot to !@#$% >_> GM and I are no longer part of it and are developing on our own, it's just Wally now.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 06:04:29 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
I'd still like to see a merge with GDU, which I think would be nice, no matter who's running it. >_>

I don't know if you've noticed, but GD-U is pretty much shot to !@#$% >_> GM and I are no longer part of it and are developing on our own, it's just Wally now.

I wasn't aware of your leaving (I was aware of GM though), but what would that matter? It's not shot to !@#$% because two people left, it's still pretty active and Wally still works on it from time to time. I can't say though because I haven't been particularly active in any community I've been apart of. One person working on something with a semi-active community beats a few people working on whatever with a barely-alive community.

Point is, a merge is a merge. They're both game development related, and have both have pretty much the exact same goal. One has an alright community that's new and in the process of being built (GDU), and one has a community that's holding onto it's name and is struggling (ZFGC). This place wasn't built in a day (most of it's activity came from people wanting OOT2D back then, which then people stuck around and got to know one another). Putting the two together would not only bring two similar communities together, but it would allow both to work together and build into something bigger. ZFGC honestly has nothing to lose doing a merge or even trying something different, and even GDU doesn't have anything to lose because it's new and has nowhere to go but up.

Lunar

Former King
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 06:13:42 am »
  • Video Games
I'm definitely not interested in having people -specifically- from DA, or a bunch of pokekids swarming the forums. The community here seems like it's pretty good at the moment, if small.

Quote from: Porkchop
If it were up to me, I'd drop the Zelda Fan Game Central name and just keep it as ZFGC with no meaning, shift the focus a little bit. Plus all that other stuff that we suggested back. I'd still like to see a merge with GDU, which I think would be nice, no matter who's running it. >_>

Indeed.. I think we'll always be a Zelda forum in spirit, since that seems to be the one single, unifying interest that all members of this board share, to some degree. We'll also need to retain the (Fan)Game-development aspect, otherwise we would just become another Zelda forum and new members would be even less interested.

How about starting to report on News across the gaming community, with a strong focus on Zelda and indie content? We'd maintain our focus, and people would have another reason to visit the site if they weren't immediately interested in posting on the forum. They'd come for the content, eventually check out the forums, and with any luck try it out.

Then there's the question of "What would make our News blog any more interesting than any other?". I think it come down to style. We could post video reviews on fan games that come out, with humorous (but light-hearted) critique from the members of the forum. We could also incorporate humor into our text news / reviews. Humor finds a larger audience than just plain old news, the people who want that would visit the larger, commercial sites. As well, the humor would attract a friendlier crowd, rather than just somebody who signed up to tell us how much our opinion sucked.

It also appears to me that our forum is greatly overstaffed. 50% of the active members are Mods or Admins. The issue with this, is that, for one it's unnecessary, the forum in it's current state requires very minimal moderation. The second, is that to a newcomer, a Staff member might not seem very approachable, even intimidating. When half of the active posters are in a position of authority, people might be scared to reply. It could appear to them that this is a very tight-knit group of friends who aren't interested in outsiders or newcomers. A new poster will be more inclined to give feedback to another member, rather than a staff member if they think they might be easily punished by such a large force of Mods.

Obviously, our staff as far as Administation and Moderation is filled quite nicely. But, I would be more than happy to provide my services to the forum in some other way. I could help our blog if need be.

I'm also quite adequate with Tech issues, I'm starting school in September in a course for System Administration, though my true passion lies in repairing PC hardware / software, as well as diagnosing general, moderate issues.

I'm just spitting out ideas as they come. The more ideas we can come up with, the better.

I do care about ZFGC even though at times I may not show it, but seeing the place as it is, really sucks, and even if things are difficult, it would be nice for a change.

I returned mostly out of nostalgia. I wanted to see how many old veterans remained here, I expected mostly "Who are you?" replies, what I got was a pretty positive response. I was worried that people would remember me poorly, as I wasn't always the best person (in fact I was a complete shitter for a while there). There's obviously deeply embedded camaraderie and memories in everybody who remains here. We're hanging onto that relic of our past, the glory days of ZFGC when our forum was thriving with activity and culture. I just will not accept "The forum is slowly dying, accept it", without a fight. Maybe it's in vain, but I'm willing to give it one last try to breathe some life into this place. It'll be a sad day when I type "www.ZFGC.com" into my browser, and get a 404 message.

I think we can pull a few more glorious years out of our asses, if we play our cards right.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 06:19:42 am by Lunar »
sup
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 06:21:56 am »
--Disregard this post, !@#$% mood, not personal etc
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:26:10 am by MG-Zero »

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 06:28:07 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
--Disregard this post, !@#$% mood, not personal etc

You're talking as if ZFGC has a lot going on. Also Wally's engine has absolutely nothing to do with this lol, there was no need to bring that up. Not everyone codes exactly as you do. People have their own ways and styles of doing things. Nobody's perfect.

As I said, the place is new, it has an excuse for lack of activity when it's growing. A place like ZFGC on the other hand, has no excuse for being this inactive, and how things are being run, especially having a few years on a place like GDU. There's no need for a gigantic staff when there's basically 5 posts a day with nothing going on.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:26:38 am by MG-Zero »
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 06:28:41 am »
These topics always get to the point where they should almost just be in Feedback, but meh, there have been some things I have been thinking about recently especially since the Developer rank wasn't practical. Basically global moderation has pushed most of the active staff activities to preventative and reactionary dealing with negative user. In the past more it seemed like a system of local moderation allowed for development boards to be more easily represented by someone who knew what they were doing in them.

But anyway MG-Zero, walnut100 sent me IM's in which he didn't like that you were criticizing his work like that. In any case it is kind of guff to talk about someone who can't talk back.
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 06:40:01 am »
=_= stupidity at its finest...

Anyway, I do not feel that GDU merge would be beneficial.  My suggestions are towards development, obviously.  Although each attempt on development has failed, probably due to not-so-great management due to our lives outside the forum.

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 07:17:04 am »
I'm definitely not interested in having people -specifically- from DA, or a bunch of pokekids swarming the forums. The community here seems like it's pretty good at the moment, if small.

Indeed.. I think we'll always be a Zelda forum in spirit, since that seems to be the one single, unifying interest that all members of this board share, to some degree. We'll also need to retain the (Fan)Game-development aspect, otherwise we would just become another Zelda forum and new members would be even less interested.

How about starting to report on News across the gaming community, with a strong focus on Zelda and indie content? We'd maintain our focus, and people would have another reason to visit the site if they weren't immediately interested in posting on the forum. They'd come for the content, eventually check out the forums, and with any luck try it out.

Then there's the question of "What would make our News blog any more interesting than any other?". I think it come down to style. We could post video reviews on fan games that come out, with humorous (but light-hearted) critique from the members of the forum. We could also incorporate humor into our text news / reviews. Humor finds a larger audience than just plain old news, the people who want that would visit the larger, commercial sites. As well, the humor would attract a friendlier crowd, rather than just somebody who signed up to tell us how much our opinion sucked.

It also appears to me that our forum is greatly overstaffed. 50% of the active members are Mods or Admins. The issue with this, is that, for one it's unnecessary, the forum in it's current state requires very minimal moderation. The second, is that to a newcomer, a Staff member might not seem very approachable, even intimidating. When half of the active posters are in a position of authority, people might be scared to reply. It could appear to them that this is a very tight-knit group of friends who aren't interested in outsiders or newcomers. A new poster will be more inclined to give feedback to another member, rather than a staff member if they think they might be easily punished by such a large force of Mods.

Obviously, our staff as far as Administation and Moderation is filled quite nicely. But, I would be more than happy to provide my services to the forum in some other way. I could help our blog if need be.

I'm also quite adequate with Tech issues, I'm starting school in September in a course for System Administration, though my true passion lies in repairing PC hardware / software, as well as diagnosing general, moderate issues.

I'm just spitting out ideas as they come. The more ideas we can come up with, the better.

I returned mostly out of nostalgia. I wanted to see how many old veterans remained here, I expected mostly "Who are you?" replies, what I got was a pretty positive response. I was worried that people would remember me poorly, as I wasn't always the best person (in fact I was a complete shitter for a while there). There's obviously deeply embedded camaraderie and memories in everybody who remains here. We're hanging onto that relic of our past, the glory days of ZFGC when our forum was thriving with activity and culture. I just will not accept "The forum is slowly dying, accept it", without a fight. Maybe it's in vain, but I'm willing to give it one last try to breathe some life into this place. It'll be a sad day when I type "www.ZFGC.com" into my browser, and get a 404 message.

I think we can pull a few more glorious years out of our asses, if we play our cards right.

In all honesty, how many Zelda fan games even deserve video reviews? Not trying to be mean and !@#$% all over the idea, but how many fangames out there are really past the walking demo stages? I'm not even sure how big Zelda Fan gaming in general is anymore. Is it big enough to warrent video reviews of random fan games? It takes time for people to throw together video reviews, edit in gameplay, etc.

Then you gotta think about hosting, i doubt the videos would be hosted on the ZFGC server, that would cost bandwidth, and with the current state of affairs it would most likely provide, none to little return profit to pay for the extra hosting the videos would take up. We could host them off site, on say Youtube, but then would ZFGC be getting a central youtube account?

Lunar

Former King
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 07:30:31 am »
  • Video Games
In all honesty, how many Zelda fan games even deserve video reviews? Not trying to be mean and !@#$% all over the idea, but how many fangames out there are really past the walking demo stages? I'm not even sure how big Zelda Fan gaming in general is anymore. Is it big enough to warrent video reviews of random fan games? It takes time for people to throw together video reviews, edit in gameplay, etc.

Then you gotta think about hosting, i doubt the videos would be hosted on the ZFGC server, that would cost bandwidth, and with the current state of affairs it would most likely provide, none to little return profit to pay for the extra hosting the videos would take up. We could host them off site, on say Youtube, but then would ZFGC be getting a central youtube account?

I meant more than just focusing on Zelda Fan Games, we could give news on -ALL- Zelda games, and -ALL- indie games. But we would still retain the primary focus on Zelda Fan Games, as long as they're still being made.

As far as the videos, why not on YouTube? Seems simple enough.
sup
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 07:37:17 am »

I meant more than just focusing on Zelda Fan Games, we could give news on -ALL- Zelda games, and -ALL- indie games. But we would still retain the primary focus on Zelda Fan Games,

as long as they're still being made.

As far as the videos, why not on YouTube? Seems simple enough.

All Zelda Games, like real ones that Nintendo is making? We could i guess, Though it would be kind of mean to go from Skyward sword to Walking Demo 2 or Ocarina of Time: Navi's Revenge. Might be better to start with the crappy CDi- games when going right to fangames, it will make the fangames look so much better in comparison.

If ZFGC did put it on youtube, how would we collect all those internet dollars?

Lunar

Former King
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 07:53:41 am »
  • Video Games
All Zelda Games, like real ones that Nintendo is making? We could i guess, Though it would be kind of mean to go from Skyward sword to Walking Demo 2 or Ocarina of Time: Navi's Revenge. Might be better to start with the crappy CDi- games when going right to fangames, it will make the fangames look so much better in comparison.

If ZFGC did put it on youtube, how would we collect all those internet dollars?

I've been thinking on it, maybe it would be worth changing the name of this forum to "Nintendo Fan Game Central". That widens our scale drastically, while keeping Zelda Fan Gaming firmly within the scope. Thus, the essence of the forum isn't lost! I'm sure the combined fan games of Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Metroid, etc etc add up to quite a bit.

As far as Internet Dollars, are you referring to revenue generated by YouTube's partner program? Well, it probably wouldn't amount to a massive sum, unless the forum exploded in some way we can't fathom. The full profit would just go to improving the website, rather than into the pockets of the staff.

(If I'm misinterpreting you, sorry.)
sup

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 08:00:17 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Hey all, just registered here to say why don't we do something about the community being down.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 08:03:35 am »
Hey all, just registered here to say why don't we do something about the community being down.

Get out n00b

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 09:54:07 am »
  • Silly cat!
The thing about these big new directional ideas is that they never go anywhere because no one is willing to put in the effort.

I'm not against change, just, make sure we're making small changes gradually as we get to something bigger. You can't really go from zero to hero in an instant.

Mostly, I like the little community feeling. It's nice, quiet, there's no real faggotry. But hey, whatever.

Hoffy.
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 10:24:16 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
The thing about these big new directional ideas is that they never go anywhere because no one is willing to put in the effort.

I'm not against change, just, make sure we're making small changes gradually as we get to something bigger. You can't really go from zero to hero in an instant.

Mostly, I like the little community feeling. It's nice, quiet, there's no real faggotry. But hey, whatever.

Well, there ARE people who are willing to put the effort in, but due to some things, that apparently can't happen.

The small community feeling IS nice, there still is some stupid drama, but besides that it's nice. Still would be nice to see this place booming again.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 75 queries.