Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X-men - where to start?  (Read 1380 times)

X-men - where to start?
« on: February 18, 2011, 08:57:49 am »
So yeah, X-men is awesome. But I really haven't seen or read much.

Does anyone know in which end to start? Which comic...? I just started to watch the animated series, attack of the sentinels and whatnot.
It's old school awesome and Rogues voiceactress is wickedly hilarious. ^_^

So yeah, some lovely geekish advice for a chronological reading order would be awesome.
- Viewing at the moment: Project Runway [TV-series].
- Reading at the moment: Kuragehime [manga], Uncanny X-men issues 37 - 66 [comics].
- Listening to at the moment:
- Playing at the moment: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [GCN], FFCC: Ring of Fates [NDS].
- Let's Play in-the-making at the moment: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [GCN]
- Studying at the moment: University course "French, Preparatory Course" for a re-examination on subcourse "Grammar and Translation" in August, University course "Basic Course in the Humanities" for a re-examination on subcourse "The Concept of Culture" in August.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: X-men - where to start?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:20:11 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Honestly I never cared much for oldschool Xmen comics. I LOVED Ultimate XMen though. It's not too old and it's got enough of the modern lore to where you won't be like "p.p that's way different"
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 06:22:09 pm »
Well, I have read the largest part of the X-Men, spin-offs and X-Men related comics, about up to 2003 I guess. An where you start is at The Uncanny X-Men #1 and that was the only X-Men comic for about a 150 issues and then came the X-Factor series and New Mutants series as spin-offs. I liked the New Mutants. X-Factor could be considered reasonable. Later you got a lot more spin-offs like Excalibur, X-Men, Extreme X-Men, X-force and X-Statix (cash in on the reality show bizz). Some X-Men got their own series as either limited or full-fledged, such as Wolverine (the longest running). I think Deadpool was still the best, although not actually an X-Men he is frequently associated with them. The Uncanny X-Men is still the primary series of the X-Men.

In the 21st century Marvel decided to restart some of their major series with updated looks and story telling, more based on the japanese manga style. And placing in a somewhat more current time setting and even using current events. This is the Ultimate universe with Ultimate X-Men and is completely unrelated to the other series.

For the tv cartoon series it started with the special "Pryde of the X-Men", which was only 1 episode of a series never to come. Then you have the 90's series The X-Men (also X-Men TAS), which ran for 5 seasons. In late 2000 started X-Men Evolution, which ran for something over 3 and half seasons (the fourth season was cut short). And in 2009 you had the series Wolverine and the X-Men, which ran regretably for only 1 season leaving with a small cliffhanger.

And then you have about 4 live action movies and another one comming up.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:00:53 pm by Niek »
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:37:46 pm »
Thanks guys, that's a great help!

I've already seen the live action movies, my sister dragged me and my brother with her to the cinema when the first movie came, and she went all "droool, Hugh Jackman" over Wolverines actor... and me and my brother went all "yeah, awesome mutant powers!" Lol. (I'm a girl to, but I just geeked out and forgot about all the hot dudes... haha.)

I've started to watch X-Men TAS. I'll see if I can find "Pride of the X-Men" too... then I'll start hunting for the comics.
- Reading at the moment: Kuragehime [manga], Uncanny X-men issues 37 - 66 [comics].
- Playing at the moment: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [GCN], FFCC: Ring of Fates [NDS].
- Let's Play in-the-making at the moment: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [GCN]
- Studying at the moment: University course "French, Preparatory Course" for a re-examination on subcourse "Grammar and Translation" in August, University course "Basic Course in the Humanities" for a re-examination on subcourse "The Concept of Culture" in August.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:43:57 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.

I've started to watch X-Men TAS. I'll see if I can find "Pride of the X-Men" too... then I'll start hunting for the comics.

You're going to want to search "Pryde of the X-Men" for better results, since uh... Yeah Kitty Pryde :P
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 07:06:24 pm »
Whoops, typo. Sorry about that. Yes Mammy is right it is Pryde and not Pride.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 07:24:43 pm »
Haha, allright ^^
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 06:36:03 pm »
By the way, if anyone else is interested in the X-men comics, google "Revised Chronological X-Men" and you'll find out that someone has uploaded (to torrents) several "packs" with the comics all sorted up in chronological order, including issues of other comics where the X-men guest-starred or had cameos. All in the order of publishing dates! It's awesome. ^_^
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 54 queries.

anything