Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What program Language does Nintendo  (Read 5356 times)

Re: What program Language does Nintendo
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 02:44:51 pm »
No one talks about SGL, it's easy to learn and does great things in no time! AND it's cross-compatible! :D

I think you mean SDL.
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 02:58:05 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I\'d recommend learning both DirectX and OpenGL for various reasons. Mostly OpenGL because you are provided with the benefits of alpha transparency and blending, translations and transformations...and all at decent speeds. The list goes on, but DIrectX is useful too.

DirextX is better to learn.  Why?  It maybe windows only, but it handles everything from graphics to sound to keyboard and mouse input.  Besides, Macs can run windows now.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 02:59:13 pm »
Yup: DirectX is more of an all-in one thing: Many developers favour it as it does a great deal for you. But many favour openGL as its simple and well organised (Some say DirectX is a bulky OOP mess).
I personally dont favour the naming convention... LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9's and D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS's?  With openGl you dont really have to worry about types: In fact you only need to know a few, obvious macros and the subprogram names.
I say learn them simultaneously: Your understanding of the media your dealing with (which is very similar for both) will be developed in a more natural progressive / constantly reinforced manner that way.
Today alot of high-cost game development relies on DirectX. It uses a pixel-based rasterisation method (Better for really high poly i *imagine* and more direct communication using pixel shading techniques?), while openGL uses a vertex based method (Better for low poly?).

Using SDL and openGL you can set up a very simple and easy to use environment for 2d with 3d acceleration or 3d games, which is very suitable for the kind of games that we here would make (eg A 3d fangame would want to Keep things simple, low poly, etc, so just basic opengl use with vertices and images mapped into float-textures with alpha for all the techniques you need + simple lighting ).
Or just SDL on its own for easy 2d work, assuming good pointer knowledge. (Also much easier and more reliable (and utterly recommended - by me) if you wrap SDL into some classes).

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 02:59:44 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
LoL sorry Helios, my bad, I meant SDL.
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 04:55:51 am »
(Some say DirectX is a bulky OOP mess).
It is - thats what makes it soooooo good ;D Imagine was the next DSK update will be like. Hawt.
the a o d c

SwordsGateSCAS

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 09:55:13 pm »
basicly they use C++ but they have edited it and created there on langauge just like game maker or flash its it own language

but yes 70% is c++  and 30% edited to there own langauge

the game maker made by Delphi version 7
it cost you a bomb but can make some powerfull programs so i heard
i may save and get this

iamgen we could make a new game maker thats better but would take a lot of developers and time but thats alot like what sony,Nintendo etc do make there own
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2006, 11:20:53 pm »
the game maker made by Delphi version 7
it cost you a bomb but can make some powerfull programs so i heard
i may save and get this
Ah, it doesn't cost you a bomb (compared to the other programs)... Just $20,00! :P Do you think it is too expensive?
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 11:32:48 pm »
  • ZFGC Founder
The industry standards are C/C++ with DirectX. The reason why OpenGL is not used in most consoles is because of advanced features that only DirectX can provide. Java is rarely used for console games.

Lua and Ruby are two of the industry leading scripting languages used in conjunction with C/C++. Nintendo writes it's own assembler and libraries.
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2006, 11:50:37 pm »
i have a copy of the sony psp development kit.. (no, not the oopo version, the real version..)

and all code in that is written in C, you can still use C++ (but sony does not recomend it)
but i guess the librarys was partly written in asm (to speed things up a bit)

so i think N uses C and not C++, cause C uses less memory.. and they probably write their own functions for lists, strings, and stuff.. (they dont need the multi purpose stuff in STL)

demo 3 released.. get it here: http://zeldamobile.gorthwogh.com
Total game completion [||||||||||]  ~80%
  • zeldamobile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2006, 07:09:41 am »
The industry standards are C/C++ with DirectX. The reason why OpenGL is not used in most consoles is because of advanced features that only DirectX can provide.
This is absolutely wrong, and if you really think that, then you have no idea what you're talking about ::). DirectX is only available on Windows. There are modified versions for the XBox and XBox 360. This platform dependance is explained in the DirectX documentation and is also plainly stated in the wikipedia definition of DirectX.

OpenGL, on the other hand, is by nature cross-platform. Oh yeah, nintendo includes an implementation of OpenGL as standard in the Gamecube devkit. The PS2 devkit doesn't have a standard graphics API; they explain how the hardware works at a machine-code level and expect the developer to either buy a middleware engine or write their own graphics API. The linux implentation of the PS2 contains a limited OpenGL implementation called 'ps2gl'. The PS3 will utilize OpenGL|ES.

So, what was that about OpenGL not being used in most consoles? ;)

The reason why OpenGL is not used in most consoles is because of advanced features that only DirectX can provide.
What do you mean, 'only directX can provide'? Do you mean that DirectX is the only library used for input, sound, and networking? Or are you thinking of some other esoteric feature? There's nothing that DirectX can do that another library can't replicate. DirectX is a wonderful integrated runtime, but there are many great libraries out there that can handle input, sound, and networking just as well as directx can. OpenAL is a fantastic audio library, for example, and I've spoken to one GC dev'r who used it.

I would mention your quote 'Nintendo writes it's own assembler...', but I figure you must be misusing the word assembler in this case, as the idea that Nintendo writes its own assemblers is patently ludicrous. The GBA and NDS Devkit uses the official ARM assembler. The Gamecube Devkit likely uses the official IBM assembler. This wouldn't stop a developer from using whatever external assembler he wanted to, but Nintendo does not write their own.

Unless, of course, you're saying that Nintendo writes its own assembly language...? You're not that dumb, so it must be the previous. :)

lol, do you just think this stuff up on the fly and hope that the internet kiddies will eat it up? :D If you just say stuff that you think might be true, eventually someone who knows better is going to call you on it.

PS: This may surprise you, TRM, but there are quite a few people on this board who are interested in real console developement. If you give them false information, you are not only misleading them, but you may be wasting their time if they actually listen to you and go on to spend months mastering a library that is absolutely useless for what they want to do. I'm sure they would be in awe of your knowledge after that kind of debacle.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 07:40:34 am by FarFromHomeFish »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 57 queries.

anything