Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens of Truth Project  (Read 10539 times)

Lens of Truth Project
« on: January 15, 2014, 10:21:05 pm »
Hello... it's been a while! Just dropping in because I thought this might interest some of the people here. I recently started working on a "replica" of the lens of truth from OOT / MM.
Not sure why I picked the lens of truth specifically, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. So, I'll be posting progress photos here as I go.

Here are some of the basic parts I've got so far... red agates for the three stones sourced from China, the convex glass was sourced from Ukraine and used to belong to an old clock, and the brass rings are from the US.
I'm planning on making the handle and frame out of wood, dying it purple and finishing it with a clear gloss coat.
The glass will get a light spray paint job to tint it a bluish purple and to get the eye design on the glass. Wish me luck! :p Here are some photos.

Re: Lens of Truth Project
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:49:14 am »
looking forward to how this will turn out.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 05:13:40 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
Yeah, good luck! Looks pretty promising so far.

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 12:15:40 pm »
Yeah this could be good. Would love a prop like that.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 06:32:51 pm »
Thanks all! Just got some of the paints/dyes this week and I have some rough wood shapes blocked out. Just trying to decide now whether the lens should have a perfectly round edge to the frame, or have a bit of a sharp edge. The original model has a flat outer rim (probably because of graphic limitations) whereas in most artwork the frame is just perfectly round... it's surprisingly difficult to find decent official artwork or other images for the lens  :'(. I've been pretty busy lately, but hopefully I'll have some new pics soon!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 10:43:59 pm »
  • It's the grineer
Holy !@#$%! That's some nice work.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 12:01:26 am »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
I like when people do these kind of things for fun. It looks good sofar imo, I hope you finish it without any problems popping up.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 07:41:19 pm »
Had some time yesterday to fit the brass ring around the handle. Still need to clean it up a little, but it fits pretty well I think.
I accidentally scratched up the ring though, so I might try buffing it out or polishing it; I think a slightly polished look for the metal will look good, because I'll also be doing a high gloss finish on the rest of the wood.
Next up will be the edge cap, the little cone that fits into the end of the handle. I should also have the frame roughed out soon...

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:43:20 pm by Q.K. »
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 03:55:22 am »
I think this is really neat! Hope to see it finished. A nice thing to put on a shelf.
AKA HylianDev and Super Goombario
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 10:12:20 pm »
Soooo the handle is done - I added the pointy end cap the other day. I've had a few setbacks though; the glass paint is too thick and runny (couldn't find a transparent glass spray paint) so I'll probably have to get some thinner to get a better coating. Also, I had more or less finished the two halves of the round frame that holds the glass, but the wood on one piece cracked, so I have to redo one of them. Will update again when things are back on track!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 07:32:26 pm »
Ooh, I'm eager to see the finished item! I made some Zelda stuff out of wood too(want to see them?)
I also wanted to make a magnifying glass frame but I wasn't entirely sure how to make the frame.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 12:13:37 am »
Sure, let's see! For the frame, I'm basically taking two round plaques, cutting out the middle, running a groove along the inside for the glass to fit into, then using wood glue to seal the two halves of the frame together. We'll see how that goes though. I'm having trouble getting a consistent coat of paint on this rounded glass, but I'm going to try again tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 01:56:39 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Any progress on this?!  :o

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 03:27:08 am »
Unfortunately not, although tomorrow I'm going to try again with the glass paint. If it still doesn't turn out right I might check a few stores to try and track down some transparent glass spray paint (I think spraying the paint on would make for a more even coat). Actually, come to think of it, I did finish a rough base for the frame. I'm still upset that I cracked the first half of the frame - I picked out the original two pieces of wood because the grain matched really closely. The piece of wood I replaced the broken half with isn't quite as good a match, but it will have to do I guess!

EDIT: Oh, I also polished the brass ring. Looks a lot nicer now.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 02:31:21 am »
Lookin good so far QK! Ive not tried them, but the transparent glass paints made by "Delta" seem to be what youre looking for. When you apply the stain to the wood, mix two seperate shades, one the color youd like and one a little darker. Apply the darker shade first, sand with a fine grit sandpaper to remove most of the color, and youll be left with the only the grain stained. Then go ahead and apply your other shade. The grain will really pop! Ill definately keep an eye on this, maybe ill post some pics of the master sword im working on soon once I get the steel ordered....
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 08:52:48 pm »
Yeah, I tried using something similar to those Delta paints, but made by Plaid / Martha Stewart lol. They're like some kind of enamel gel. It just isn't giving me the kind of consistent coating I want though, so I'm going to try looking at automotive spray paints, like for headlights and such. Unfortunately I don't have the funds for that right now, so the glass is going to be on hold for a while. I'm going to focus on the frame for now - thanks for the tip about the wood, I'll try it out. I'm actually going to use a dye, and then work over top of that with a mix of the dye + shellac and then buff it out. Would be neat to see that master sword! Are you getting the steel done custom?

EDIT: Aaaaaaaagh. I'm having no luck with this project XD I was working on the frame and somehow... managed to splinter off a fairly big chunk. Back to the drawing board.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:20:08 am by Q.K. »
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 08:50:35 pm »
QK what is it that youre doing when the frame breaks? Also, what type of wood are you using? Soft or cheap wood could be a major factor in breakage. Maple is my personal favorite to work with, great hard wood (lol, hard wood), and takes up dye wonderfully.
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 01:34:08 am »
As far as I know it's pine... I had bought a couple pre-shaped round plaques that I figured would save me time because they were already the right size and shape. Unfortunately pine isn't a great wood for this kind of stuff. So far they've broken mostly from using a gouge or knife trying to round out the circle, but basically I just got a little careless with it >__<.
I'm going to try the plaques once more, but if that fails I'll try maple or birch or something that can handle being roughed up a little!

On a side note, made a tiny bit of progress by gluing the brass rings around the base of the red crystals that go on top of the frame...
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 11:22:44 pm »
Any updates on this QK?
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 03:46:38 am »
Nothing recently; I've been pretty busy with work and school. It's exam time now, but once those are out of the way I'm planning on getting this thing finished!
I did stop by a local woodworking shop and they had some wood called "purple heart" that was a really deep, reddish purple. Might've made an interesting choice of material, but it's very hard to work with. Maybe next time... haha. If there is a next time.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 78 queries.

anything