Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: [Game] TLOZ: Chaos Rising  (Read 56866 times)

Re: [Feb 2013 Trailer] TLOZ: Chaos Rising
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2013, 04:47:53 pm »
time for another small progress report:

I have finished creating an idex of how many friendly npc's (villagers and others inside the village and the roaming ones ) this game will have. The total amount as planned at this moment is 92.
I also have gathered and recolored a certain amount of sprites so I now have enough for all of them. Ofcourse some of the like those of the zora's will be used multiple times for different characters.

Next: making a few objects ( I don't want 92 objects for this but 1 also wont work ) and placing them at the proper locations, then its time to give them something to say and their other functions for those that have them.( that includes making a few of the mini games, but not the cinematics yet. )

estimation: finish this part something like near the end of september.
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2013, 12:34:32 am »
92, eh? Here's hoping that you get help for that one.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2013, 12:54:07 pm »
Help?, no there is no need for help with this, the npc's are indeed a lot of work, but its easy work.
( It helps when you actually plan out every part of the game before you start working on it. )
If I had to depend on help this project would never have gotten this far, have had some help with a few engine parts, but thats almost all the help I've received. I prefer to do things by myself.
When one works with a team one has to keep in mind that they also might have ideas, now I have full controll over what has to be done. I can change anything I want to.
For instance there no longer are 92 npc's. I decided that I had to add 3 more.
But all 95 are now placed on their proper locations.
Though most of them don't have anything to say yet.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:07:51 pm by Atom »
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2013, 04:13:22 pm »
Just a small update this week:

- the 20 item trading npc's have been completed.
- the npc that upgrades your bombbags and quivers has been completed.
TLOZ: Chaos Rising
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2013, 02:20:53 pm »
Again just a small update this week. Today was the only day that I managed to find time to do something with this project. I felt like doing something different then just typing texts for the villagers so this is the update for today:

- replaced the potion system. Previously you could just buy potions like in the original GB Zelda games;
     - you can now only buy a potion when you have an empty bottle;
     - added the function to collect bottles;
     - adjusted the menu to now also show empty bottles and not only the potions;
- collectable items like hearth pieces are now almost all of them placed at their locations;
- made an adjustment to collecting dungeon boss defeat hearths, you can no longer leave the room before you have collected the hearth. Previously you could walk out without the hearth forcing you to play the entire game with less health then you are supposed to have.

I expect to have a lot more time for it during the next 2 weeks.

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2013, 03:34:41 pm »
As announced I do have more time for this project at the moment , so I have an extra update:

-  all shops are now functioning
-  started working on one of the mini games
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2013, 09:57:08 pm »
hm, why is it always that when things seem to go at a good speed and I am actually making good progress something has to happen to screw things up.

I have 3 chest objects to handle all the chests in the game. All 3 of them have the same kind of codes.
2 of the objects work perfecty. I have checked the variables countless amounts of times now but the third chest object ( the one that is for the world chests ) seems not to execute its create events, it however does do its other events using the same variables. So now when you re-enter a room a open chest will look like a closed one again. Even more strange if I put the create code in the step event, then it does work.
( but I prefer to use the create event to save memory usage as the code only needs to be executed once )
Perhaps a good nights sleep will help me see a way to fix this problem.
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2013, 06:22:38 am »
I believe the create event will be skipped if you also add a create event in the roomobject.
A parent's create event will also not be executed unless you reference it in the child's create event.
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2013, 08:28:19 am »
It is not using parent object scrips :(

I am not certain what you mean with the roomobject.
If you mean the room in which the other objects are placed ( which is more or less itself an object ) that would not be correct. All my rooms have codes in their create event. And it does not seem to bother any other objects.
That or perhaps you mean the right click option and then creation code but I do not use that part. ( perhaps I could see if that works )

Solved it more or less.
the create event code is now in alarm[0]
a new create event code is now alarm[0]=1 ( that create event code for some strange reason does work )
so 1/30 of a second you get to see the wrong image if the chest has been previously opened then it changes to the correct one. Its not perfect but it works.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:25:25 am by Atom »
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2013, 10:55:35 am »
Martin is talking about that neat little Hold Control and right-click an object while in the room editor.  It brings up Creation event that only runs for that specific instance of the object you clicked on.

Very useful, IMO.  I use it for room changing collision objects(or objRoomFlags as I like to call them).  I only have one object in my current project that can change rooms.  However, I can reuse it as I set variables in that special Creation code I told you about at the beginning.  So, when Link touches any objRoomFlag object, the variables I set in that Creation code kick in:

Hold control and Right-click on object in room editor:
roomVariable = rm_house1;
newX = 234;
newY = 80;
cameraX = 90;
cameraY = 50;

The above is just random numbers, but I use those names.
Then when Link touches that specific instance of objRoomFlag:
var objTransitionOverlay;
global.linkX = newX;
global.linkY = newY;
global.cameraX = cameraX;
global.cameraY = cameraY;
objTransitionOverlay = instance_create(view_xview,view_yview,objTransition);
objTransitionOverlay.roomVariable = roomVariable; //the room we want tot go to after the fade out

Anyway, just giving an example.  Pretty useful as you can reuse one object many times without duplicating it or writing more scripts and such.  Another way is you can have one NPC object in the entire game.  You go to that creation code and you can set behaviors for each individual instance in the room.  You can have signs, people, animals, etc. all made from one object without making duplicates with individual code.

I opened someone's project here in ZFGC not too long ago and they had 100s of duplicate objects like that.  I run 8GB of Ram and Game Maker took 700megs and once I ran the game, the game itself took over a gigabyte.

Those instances add up overtime.  :/  That and 30megabyte images...jesus...

Sorry for going a bit off-topic.  :P
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2013, 11:55:27 am »
Solved it more or less.
the create event code is now in alarm[0]
a new create event code is now alarm[0]=1 ( that create event code for some strange reason does work )
so 1/30 of a second you get to see the wrong image if the chest has been previously opened then it changes to the correct one. Its not perfect but it works.

Could you post the coding in alarm[0]? I've gotten interested in this problem.
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2013, 01:58:14 pm »
Martijn, I can do better, I will send you a link where you can download a file with this thing.
The object with the problem is objWchest , you can find it in Objects=>Overworld Objects=>House Objects. If you need to find a room it is in: Rooms=> Houses and caves=>air=> room565.

@Theforeshadower. Yes that is the rightclick think I spoke of ( that I do not use )
I guess I could do with less objects that way. But having more objects makes it easier for me to work with a project like this one ( and while running the game as far as it is now it only uses 140 meg. ( slowly increasing for the more rooms you visit because of the background system. )
Though the only item that has a lot of copies is the npc object, I have solved other things in a different way with only a few objects recquired for things like room2room movement.

Currently working on a small event scene.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 02:02:45 pm by Atom »
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2013, 09:34:11 pm »
update: scene 1 done, paused work on the others for a short while as Martijn found a way for me to remove the small memory leak I have because of the current background system. So now I am adjusting the background codes in all the rooms. At the same time I am making a change in the way the continue room after death / save and quit works.
All rooms used to have a global that pointed to the room to go to. But that could result in being send to a room you had never been in before. The new system has a few fixed rooms where you can start(continue) and checks which one of them you visited last.
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2013, 01:50:27 pm »
Its time again for an update:

-adjusted all the background codes to end the memory leak problem;
-adjusted the continue system so it now takes you back to one of the starting rooms, depending on which one you visited last;
-implemented the main storyline;
-implemented the secondairy storylines;
-currently 51 of the now 93 npc's are completely done.

If NCFC is still up for November 15th this year I think I will be ready to participate with a demo up to and including dungeon 1.

Yes, as you may assume through the updates that is only a very small part of what I have completed at the moment. But I am not going to be able to finish the game before that date. Or at least not in a way that I have time to test and debug everything.

Things still to do:

- critter movement;
- texts for the remaining npc's;
- end of game + credits scene;
- implement background music;
- place the normal enemies in the world / dungeon / cave rooms;
- play through the entire game, noting bugs, things that are to easy or to difficult, and spelling errors;
- fix the things found during the play through test;
- find myself a beta tester;
- wait while the betatester plays the game and reports his/her findings;
- last fixes.
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2013, 04:42:27 pm »
Had a problem logging in on zfgc last sunday so it is not really a weekly update this time:

Critter movement done ;
remaining npc texts done;

currently selecting background music.
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2013, 06:28:14 pm »
If I said it once, then I'll say it again, "Man you work fast!"
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2013, 10:22:28 pm »
 XD Well, seeing how things all fit together as the progress has gotten this far inspires me to use as much time as I can find on the things I still have to do.

Last Tuesday I was still working on a selection for the background music.
Now I have the full selection, edited a few of them to cut off the silence at the end so you get a better loop effect and have the background sounds working for all the outdoor areas and the caves.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And it feels like the right time for something new:
The voting shows there are both those who would like to explore and make their own maps as well as those who who prefer to just have the full file.

I will not yet give away the full map files but the draw your own map set is now available for download.
It contains the empty world and the dungeon maps that one could print to draw upon.
The file with the houses and caves will only be available in the completed map set as it would be impossible to draw those in at their proper location.

Draw your own map pack download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8txg7gfxv1r99aw/Draw_your_own_maps_Map_Pack.rar

You can't actually do anything with it yet, but it gives one an idea how large the world and dungeons are.
each white colored part on the map resembles an in-game room.

« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2013, 07:58:11 pm »
Its been a full week again, time for an update:

background sounds for houses, dungeons and a few other places are now also implemented;
end of game scene done;
credits done;
airworld outside enemies placed in their rooms;
mazerealm outside enemies placed in their rooms;
dungeon1 enemeis placed in their rooms;
dungeon1 test run completed;
adjusted low on health sound volume so you can still hear dungeon1 background sound;
increased the volume of the bossfight and miniboss fight sounds;
increased the movement speed of Tektites while they are jumping;
fixed a bug in dungeon1 boss that made it possible to kill it without taking care of the smaller ones.

« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2013, 02:41:48 pm »
All cave enemies have been placed;
dungeon 2 enemies have been placed;
made an adjustment to the Goponga enemie;
added 3 additional types of enemies to the game, including the Red Bari;

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epXNKFI9BnQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epXNKFI9BnQ</a>
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2013, 07:55:12 pm »
Not much to report this time:

added another 2 enemies to the game, 1 new type and 1 more advanced version of an existing enemie;
done some testing for bugs and fixed a few minor ones;
uploaded demo to ncfc ( will also be released here during ncfc ) and with that completed the booth;
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 74 queries.