Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Level Design  (Read 5755 times)

Level Design
« on: December 20, 2011, 01:40:41 am »
Location summary, brainstorming and first sketches.
Could anyone paste the map plz.
And the tile sets we have to work with for now (even if there from other games, so that we know what we have to work with).

We design the maps on paper with grids on them. Dont turn to much time sketching them because we might re-sketch them. Designing levels and areas is very much like designing a building. We need to know the function (that includes passages. shops, to puzzle, to obstacles everything), in order to design it properly. Then we make out the first drafts, if the design is successful we recreate it on pc using a map maker (or something like that), if its unsuccessful we go back to drafting.

An area must have a function and a theme before we start designing it.
Re: Level Design
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 06:11:47 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
The style for the game is Minish Cap, so we'll be using those tilesets.

Could anyone paste the map plz.
What map are you referring to?

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 07:51:35 am »
  • It's just Max.
I believe he means the world map, right? Weren't you pretty involved when it was being created earlier?
Also, when you're creating maps, you mentioned sketches. Do you need any concept art? Cause I'm excited to be on the art team! Speaking of which, don't they need to be activated, like the design and program people were? For concept art purposes? And I'm sure when many of the maps are being designed, we'll need to sprite some architecture and terrain and stuff.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 05:35:29 pm »
Yes the world map, unfortunetly I do not have a copy of it on my pc, as everything has been wipped off a few months ago.

Concept art, yes concept arts are usefull for designers, as it gives them inspiration, however you cant really stop level designers from creating there own art sometimes, as sometimes they have an idea, which only they know how to create/sprite it.

So its interlocked, ill explain this latter, but all concept art is definitely useful to level designers.
Every level designer will need however a small notebook with grids on it (like in maths class) to make things easier.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 08:42:01 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Yeah, for sure, I wasn't saying that the level design team be forbidden from doing their own concept art or sprites, just that it would be helpful if the art team was there to help them, and present more options for the concept art and sprites. Because perhaps one artist or level person does concept art that's great for an area, but another artist does a different take, then you don't want to shut out potential inspiration, and you can always create a synthesis of ideas.

Personally, I think the world as a whole needs to be explored more, the cultures fleshed out further, before any final mapping is done. Simply for the details. Until you know about the economy of the Hylians, how it's related to that of the other races, things like, do the Zora come into town and have a fish market, are Deku scrubs banned from the market from ripping people off, things like that, how can you create Hyrule town? If you don't know how the forest temple is/was used by the Deku, you can't really sprite it.

BUT, you can certainly create a rough draft that gives the layout, where the residential area is in relation to the market and the castle, or design a dungeon, its traps and rooms, but as far as specific things like, who will have a shop where, what will decorations be like, how will the walls of a dungeon look, etc, then those details will have to happen after the world is fleshed out more.

That's why I think the art team needs to get together.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 11:47:17 pm »
Deku are banned from the market because whenever they spit nuts outs xD :P According to minish cap.

We still need to find  minishcap tilesets, for the bases of our sketches. We need to have references how many tiles is a tree... a house. Wall etc.

I guess for hyrule... we could go for something more unique and more medivil style. Joined houses, dense... built on a hill top. (for defensive purposes and the aesthetic, and depth).

Something in the line of:

In each hight level another class would live in. So the lowest (outerskirt of city) you would have the poorest, so the higher you go the richer they would get.

The art definitely needs to start going too.

EDIT: Anybody has a copy of the map?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:10:04 am by masterpaul »
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 06:14:44 pm »
What do you mean with the old map? do you mean hyrule castle map ? or the overworld map?
if you mean the castle map:
( I think it's an old version not sure though)

If you mean the overworld:

Guys I got a new layout for you, revolvng around a huge central field :P Calls for epic horse battles lol, also gives as possabilites for adding more and towns, as hyrule castle isnt so central.

Edit: Here it is:

Apart from allowing more towns to appear (since distances are greater), theres also inclusision of an typical wide open hyrule field. why not? You can include horse battles and some wicked awesome collosus battle lol.}

The hyrule field can also be separated into smaller fields, as the rice fields (Were there is a lot of water and rice is grown there). You can also have lon lon, or some-kind of soldier training facility instead (you know ganondorf). Theres room for it.

Notice how theres also the sea, and the ship canal connecting the sea and hylia (meaning that the ship graveyard could be included in hylia). Also i think there will be lot of opertunity to hide pieces of heart etc.

The brownish thin segments, are some kind of small mountain range.

I puposly didnt draw in the river yet in death valley as that depends on a lot of things, but there is definetly a river a river going through death valley. Also all the river flow's are free to the designers preferences (meaning that the river in the desert doesnt have to flow like that, but it has to flow through the desert pass). Shortly speaking rivers = place holders :P
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 09:49:33 pm »
Thanks for the oerworld... :-)

Can we have some imput guys on hyrule town?
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 06:27:50 am »
  • It's just Max.
On the hyrule town pictured above?
I love the tile set, the building are awesome, and the signs. But aside from the graphics, I think it's way too spread out, and has so many buildings! What are we gonna put in all of those!? It seems so big to me.
I think it'd be better dense, like the top or bottom reference pictures you had, less spread out and more on a grid. That might be harder to work out with this kind of 2D top down view, though.
I also think the multi tiered idea you mentioned is great, richer as it goes up with the castle at the top. The sections don't have to necessecarily be quite as rigid, though. It could have a few levels of poor, then a few levels of rich, not necessecarily a gradient.
It could even be tiered without respect to wealth: the west half could be tiers of poor, the east half, tiers of rich. But I think tiers could make it denser as well.

Were you asking anyone's opinion, or just the level team. If just the level team... Oops, sorry. : )
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 11:58:45 pm »
Everyone opinion is welcome :P since were not really making any progress, since everyone mysteriously vaporised :P
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 02:17:52 am »
Perhaps these photos will help to define a little more of the architecture of the town.

I favor letting the market in the middle, the rich part, along with the cathedral on the left and right side of the poor part. At the bottom of the main entrance of the city and at the top would be the gardens of the castle.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:22:22 am by Leduardo »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 57 queries.