Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: The Oracles  (Read 9575 times)

DaSpirit

The Quiet
The Legend of Zelda: The Oracles
« on: April 01, 2012, 12:20:15 am »
  • The Mad Programmer.
Introduction:
This game, as most of you can guess, will be a remake of both Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. Fear not, those who haven't played any of those games will still have fun with this remake. It will be made in GameMaker 8.0.

I have not programmed much of it, I mainly want to see if people are interested. I hope to make this as close to the originals. The maps will be slightly larger, as I'm hoping to use Minish Cap styled sprites.

Screenshots:
So far, I haven't programmed much, only the way that Link starts. I'm going to alternate between making Ages and Seasons. I'll start with Ages first because making multiple tilesets for each season proved to be annoying. Anyway, my teaser:

I might post more screenshots soon.

Progress:
Before I give you guys a demo, I'll need to finish a few things first. I've separated what I need to do into stages. After each stage I complete, I'll release a demo. The first demo will end after you talk to the Maku Tree.
Stage 1 - Mechanics, Ages:
Show content
  • Program Link's main Mechanics. IN PROGRESS
    • Walking. DONE
    • Pushing. IN PROGRESS
    • Health. NOT STARED
    • Rupees. NOT STARED
    • Inventory. NOT STARED
    • Item pick-ups. NOT STARED
    • Sword. NOT STARED
    • Shield. NOT STARED
    • Falling. NOT STARED
  • Main Menu coding. NOT STARED
    • Intro animation. NOT STARED
    • File Select. NOT STARED
    • Name enter.
    • Saving. NOT STARED
    • Loading. NOT STARED
  • NPC/object interactions. NOT STARED
  • Program shop dialogue. NOT STARED
  • Enemy design. NOT STARED
  • Design levels. IN PROGRESS
    • Link's starting area. IN PROGRESS
    • Nayru's house. NOT STARED
    • The main town. NOT STARED
    • Maku tree and dungeon. NOT STARED

Help Me:
If I continue this project, I'll need a lot of help with sprites. Right now, I need an Impa sprite. I also need someone to remake the main menu.

Anyone interested in helping me with this project can PM me!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 01:22:06 pm by DaSpirit »
I support:

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Oracles
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:08:46 am »
This is a pretty big project for just one person. I think you should try to find a couple of others going for the same goal and work together to divide the stress and load. That said, here's some tips:

1. Linked games. Don't remove them. You're remaking this for the PC. So, what makes you think you can't connect the two using some binary and flags here and there? (Add a flag for game=complete and when importing a save, check that flag and if it's false, deny the import)

2. Here's an old Holodrum MC map to help get you started. Credit Hoffy, Windy, and Darklight.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f238/Hero_of_Fire17/Fan%20Games/holodrum_v2.png
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 01:20:15 am »
  • The Mad Programmer.
I suppose it is a big project but eventually, someone will want to join me. The whole reason I wanted to remove the linked games is because I'm wondering whether people would actually play both games twice. Programming it would be easy.

I've seen that map and I really liked it but it's too... "sparkly". There are too much flowers and paths that do not actually exist in the original. Here's how my version of Holodrum turned out (this is from an old version which I scrapped):

I still like that version, but unfortunately, I'm not as creative as them when it comes to designing levels.
I support:
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 04:45:19 am »
  • It's just Max.
Wow! I love the oracle games, they're some of my favourites! I'm a little excited about this. I can't say I'd definitely be able to help you with spriting, but I'd like to. Who knows how busy I'll be with other commitments and stuff in the future and all, but I sure would like to help you.

As for the linked games, I think you should decide based on how much trouble it'd be for you, rather than whether you think people would play both or not. One of the big appeals of the oracles was picking up where I left off, sort of. That what I did in one game affected the other. So if that was taken out, I'd cry :p

But aren't changing the tile sets in seasons mostly just a matter of changing the palate and the trees? What is giving you problems?
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 05:33:32 am »
Wow! I love the oracle games, they're some of my favourites! I'm a little excited about this. I can't say I'd definitely be able to help you with spriting, but I'd like to. Who knows how busy I'll be with other commitments and stuff in the future and all, but I sure would like to help you.

As for the linked games, I think you should decide based on how much trouble it'd be for you, rather than whether you think people would play both or not. One of the big appeals of the oracles was picking up where I left off, sort of. That what I did in one game affected the other. So if that was taken out, I'd cry :p

But aren't changing the tile sets in seasons mostly just a matter of changing the palate and the trees? What is giving you problems?
You cannot change palettes in Game Maker.(As far as I can remember.)  I would assume that is one hindrance of his.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Jeod

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 12:58:45 pm »
Changing palettes wouldn't be something good anyway. Tiles change too, not just colors.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 01:24:25 pm »
  • The Mad Programmer.
It's always possible to write a script to change palettes. It would, however, be very slow to do in real time. And also what Jeod said.

I've updated the first post to say what I need to do before I can release a demo. I'm still VERY early in development and I'm a lone wolf for now, so don't pressure me.
I support:

Jeod

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 01:27:15 pm »
You don't need to worry about intro and title screen until well into the game. Same with file select, you don't need to have it completely finished until well into the game. Worry about the actual game first ;)

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 01:55:56 pm »
  • It's just Max.
I agree with Jeod, the gameplay is what's most important. And maps, I think. A least personally, the map design has a lot to do with how the oracles are awesome. Speaking of which, have you thought about what you'll do when you start to tile and area that has cliffs? OoX do it so different than minish cap. MC only ever has like two tiles of cliff at a time with the exception of Mt Cranel. I'm excited to see how you approach that.

Also, about the palate switch, I meant editing the tiles with a program like photoshop or gimp to change the palette and then saving the color change. And while you're editing it, changing the appropriate tiles to have wintery trees or summery water. Not using game maker.

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 02:38:54 pm »
  • The Mad Programmer.
I actually resized all Oracle maps to be larger. It actually fits out perfectly, where the Oracle trees become the same size as MC trees and same applies for cliffs. I tried to take on this project last year but quit after I couldn't scale everything properly, but I got it right this time. Characters and everything else are much bigger in MC, so this scale is necessary. I'm actually using the screen resolution of 256x192, compared to the MC resolution of 240x160.

Programming the title screen would only take less than an hour, provided I have the sprites ready. I just want to finish it now so I wouldn't have to worry about it later. Also, if I release multiple demos, it would be easier to continue where you left off instead of having to go through it over and over. Plus, most Link mechanics I already made last year, I just need to port them to my current engine, fixing the glitches as I work along. The only real work I have to do are maps (which don't take too long) and mostly the story sequences.

I'll have a lot of time to work next week when I have spring break. Hopefully one of you guys want to join my team before then ;). I'm looking forward to that. For now, I have to start my 10 page essay along with the rest of my homework...

By the way, I need the MC flower animations ripped. Anyone willing to do me a favor?
I support:

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 11:55:29 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Item Sheet for the highly scrumptious-looking project, free of charge:

I can do the Link poses for the items too, eventually. I've got a lot on my hands at the moment, so just be patient on my end... But rest assured, I will work on this.
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 12:11:04 am »
  • The Mad Programmer.
Thanks! I hope you won't mind if I don't use some of your icons, I already made some myself but this will still come in handy!

Progress has been going well so far on this game. I've been working mainly on cutscenes. The scene where Link chases away the Octorok from Impa is almost complete, I'm mainly missing an Impa sprite and I also need to finish my textbox engine. On top of that, I still need to finish mapping the first area. 3/8 blocks of the starting map are done so far. My mapping won't be finished though until I get the flower animations from MC, so can someone help with ripping it? After mapping the first full area, I'll add music. The music is going to be so awesome that I'm going to need a .dll to use it (found some awesome remixes).

Any help that anyone does will automatically get them credit on this game.
I support:

Jeod

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 12:55:21 am »
I hope your awesome music isn't orchestrated remixes. It's great to listen to as a song, but nothing anyone expects to hear in a game. It just doesn't fit well.

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 01:34:12 am »
  • The Mad Programmer.
I was planning on using Essence of Lime. Some songs are orchestrated and others are just pumped up version of the songs. I'm not sure how it'll fit exactly, but for a trailer (if I get that far :p) it would seem cool. I'll probably end up not including the ones that are too orchestrated but the title screen song sounds fine to me. It'd only be odd during gameplay where it wouldn't match the mood.
I support:

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 04:51:14 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Well, there are plenty of songs in the games that aren't remixed or reorchestrated, so you're going to have to either learn how to compose or search for some serious musical help...
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 05:11:26 am »
Can't wait to see it.
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 06:02:16 am »
It's looking great! you can complete this ;) all the design is already done just remap everything ;D keep up the good work!
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 12:36:34 am »
I just saw it and the dedication you are putting into it has surely gotten my attention.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 02:07:10 am »
  • The Mad Programmer.
Thanks everyone! The GameMaker file has started becoming so large and unorganized... Fortunately, I'm starting to port this too C++. Progress has been going super slow to non-existent though but please bare with me! I'm taking all college course so I'm having almost no free time with all this homework I'm getting.
I support:

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 10:26:11 pm »
  • I can think of many things for anything.
This project is somewhat interesting to me. (Beat Ages last night.)

I only ask that you use Minish Cap's ability to roll in the game. Other than that, everything works okay with the originals. Do you plan on adding any new content or no?
Need someone to grammar check your game? Message me.

Team Project:
Mythos: Shadow of Liimina- http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39897.0
SoL Sprite Thread: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 74 queries.

anything