Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How does your music taste like?  (Read 6745 times)

DaSpirit

The Quiet
How does your music taste like?
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:05:23 pm »
  • The Mad Programmer.
What music do you all listen to? Favorite artists, favorite songs?

I'm curious to see what everyone says. I listen to all sorts of Rock, but my favorite lie within Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for My Valentine and Three Days Grace.

Most of my friends listen to rap, but I just can't get into it. It's just not expressive enough to me. Most rap I hear have the same beats and those that change it up still have that monotone speaking, it just irks me and can't really imagine anyone listening to it for fun. I'm curious to see what you guys listen to.
I support:
Re: How does your music taste like?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:18:22 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
My answer; Heavy Metal all the way.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:22:06 pm »
Wu-Tang Clan, High and Mighty Color, Rammstein, Garth Brooks, Beethoven. I like all kinds of music. Wu-Tang Clan has really good lyric hiphop, High and Mighty Color has a few J-Pop songs I like, Rammstein's Ich Will and Zwitter are songs I like, Garth Brooks has two good drinking songs (Friends in Low Places, Two Pina Coladas), and Beethoven's classical music is something anyone can connect with.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:35:48 pm »
  • It's the grineer
Most of my friends listen to rap, but I just can't get into it. It's just not expressive enough to me. Most rap I hear have the same beats and those that change it up still have that monotone speaking, it just irks me and can't really imagine anyone listening to it for fun. I'm curious to see what you guys listen to.

Thanks God I'm not the onyl one. I can't get rap, I think is just words with rythm.

About my favorite artists, I'm an old man lets say. I love the music from 1960 til 1989. After that, probably the only band I like is Linkin Park. I love Led Zeppelin, having Page as my favorite artist and guitarist, although Hendrix is the best, without discussion. I really like Pink Floyd, Queen, The Who, Aerosmith, Elvis, and more. I like more than nothing Heavy Metal, and Rock. Because of this, a lot of people asks me why I don't like AC/DC. Simple: the singer doesn't sing. I'm not from US, or UK, that's why there's really little bands. I really like my country's music.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:45:06 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
My music tastes are...varied. My main genre of taste would be metal, ranging from folk, power, death, and whatever. Equally, I love classic rock and progressive stuff. I however tend to also listen to classical and some dubstep.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 11:07:16 pm »
I started with classic rock, some of my favorites are still Led Zeppelin, Queen, Beatles. I'm also really into progressive rock like King Crimson and YES. Another progressive band, although very different than any other that I have been permanently obsessed with for the past few years (seen 4 shows now!) is PHiSH. They have a lot of different styles, this quintessential piece being a mix of classical fugue-like composition and 21st century progressive funk rock. The comical part is the only lyrics that aren't nonsensical are "Boy, man, god, shiiiiiiit"

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsLfa9RsV9Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsLfa9RsV9Y</a>

They focus a lot on live improvisation and extensive full band jamming, as opposed to just one person soloing over the same chord progression. Inspired of course, by my other favorite band, the Grateful Dead. I'll post one of their songs too, just because they're also misunderstood by a lot of people, who think it's just for drugged out hippies. I quit all drugs a while ago and still love this type of music.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0wA0WW3GCY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0wA0WW3GCY</a>

Romani guitar-driven gypsy jazz is another favorite genre of mine. Django Reinhardt, Angelo Debarre, etc. Great stuff! I can get into some rap, although not much of it. I like some older Eminem stuff, like the song "It's OK" where he raps about happy stuff, very different from his angrier later stuff. I also like some old rap like A Tribe Called Quest. Could never get into heavy metal or dubstep. Gypsy jazz is my favorite, but any jazz is great.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:11:15 pm by Moldrill »

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 01:34:23 am »
  • The Mad Programmer.
I started with classic rock, some of my favorites are still Led Zeppelin, Queen, Beatles. I'm also really into progressive rock like King Crimson and YES. Another progressive band, although very different than any other that I have been permanently obsessed with for the past few years (seen 4 shows now!) is PHiSH. They have a lot of different styles, this quintessential piece being a mix of classical fugue-like composition and 21st century progressive funk rock. The comical part is the only lyrics that aren't nonsensical are "Boy, man, god, shiiiiiiit"

They focus a lot on live improvisation and extensive full band jamming, as opposed to just one person soloing over the same chord progression. Inspired of course, by my other favorite band, the Grateful Dead. I'll post one of their songs too, just because they're also misunderstood by a lot of people, who think it's just for drugged out hippies. I quit all drugs a while ago and still love this type of music.

Romani guitar-driven gypsy jazz is another favorite genre of mine. Django Reinhardt, Angelo Debarre, etc. Great stuff! I can get into some rap, although not much of it. I like some older Eminem stuff, like the song "It's OK" where he raps about happy stuff, very different from his angrier later stuff. I also like some old rap like A Tribe Called Quest. Could never get into heavy metal or dubstep. Gypsy jazz is my favorite, but any jazz is great.
Hah most of that sounds like the music club in my school improving (only when I'm not involved cause I suck at improving). It's not hippie music, you should've seen some hippies play at the battle of the bands at my school. No one knew they were playing a song, everyone thought that they were simply testing their instruments the whole time. I know Yes and Phish a little, but I'm not into them that much (one of my friends is addicted to Yes, I'll try some of their other songs out soon I guess, any recommendations besides Roundabout?). In terms of progressive rock, I listen mostly to Rush and Coheed and Cambria.

I see most of you guys like classic rock, any Rolling Stones lovers?

Also, any of you guys play Rock Band? I have Rock Band 3 with all Pro instruments!
I support:
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 01:59:28 am »
Like you, I cannot get into rap at all. Myself, I listen to mostly country. Being Canadian, and my favourite bands and singers are mostly Canadian, the music does't really leave Canada. Johnny Reid is probably my favourite singer, who is a jazzy-country singer. My favourite song being You Still Own Me. I also really like George Canyon and Emerson Drive. But I do like others such as Kenny Chesney, Chris Young, Rascal Flatts, and many more.

However I must say my favourite non-country singer is definitely Billy Joel. His song Piano Man is what inspired me to play the Harmonica, believe it or not. I do also enjoy Stevie Wonder, and many 70s and 80s bands such as Foreigner, Earth Wind and Fire, Lionel Richie, and Van Halen.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 04:33:44 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
Yeah, Billy Joel Rocks!  I actually have pretty mellow tastes compared to many of you here.  I don't like metal, rap, or anything screamo.  I do like some punk rock.  I do like some Linkin Park even though some of their songs are over the top for me.  Not much of a country fan, but I do like some of Garth Brooks.  Green Day is pretty good, and I like Owl City, Three Doors Down, Aerosmith, ect.  Most of you probably haven't heard of him, but I also like to listen to Ray Lynch which is kinda like a classical electro pop...

No Blue Thing - Ray Lynch
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8d7CJFSSyY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8d7CJFSSyY</a>
This song always reminds me of going on road trips with my dad back in the day because he always brought his Ray Lynch Cassette Tapes.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:23:19 am by Aero88 »
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 04:51:41 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
My tastes are only somewhat varied.  Radical Face and Okay are probably the most listened to musicians on my Zune...  I also really like Greg Laswell, Mumford and Sons, Sea Wolf, Slow Club, Of Monsters and Men, The Killers...  And I guess I'll throw in Tom Waits for good measure.

Edit:  TMBG and Magnetic Fields are pretty frequently giving me eargasms.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:53:12 am by Mitsu »
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 01:19:50 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I'm not too varied.  My main thing is metal, particularly 80's thrash, British Heavy, power and progressive.  Then there's classic rock, electronic, and of course---video games music!  From time to time some classical and baroque stuff gets thrown in there as well.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

thestig

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:47 pm »
I'm kinda like Steve in regards to the variedness.. though, I don't listen mostly to Heavy Metal. I'm mostly 90s grunge, like Smashing Pumpkins or Nirvana lol. Rock, Electronic, whatever else. My music taste is defined as "whatever I think sounds good". That could mean anything, honestly. It just depends on the song. There are even some rap songs I like, lol.
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 04:07:08 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I just have to post my successful night here because I hate love you all ;)  I SAW ALICE COOPER AND IRON !@#$% MAIDEN LAST NIGHT.  BE JELLY.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 04:09:45 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
Death Stare........  >:D

Now I'm going to kick some asses.
Forget it, takes too much effort today.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:14:57 pm by zdude684 »
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 05:15:33 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
Similar to Moldrill's, obsessed with Phish (I've only seen 2 shows to his 4 though D:), always love some Beatles, Grateful Dead, and I also really like Streetlight Manifesto, which is a ska/punk band
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 06:09:16 am »
To those viewing this comment (if you're a fan of metal of progressive rock/metal), come check out my progressive metal band; Optic! Here's the Facebook link if you want to listen and press the "like" button if you want to stay in touch with us and our updates :)

https://www.facebook.com/Opticbandus
Scott R. Genovese

Lunar

Former King
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 08:36:54 am »
  • Video Games
Anyone who's been here for a long time probably remembers my obsession with Pink Floyd in my early teenage years. That obsession remains, but I've also expanded my musical tastes.

I now count Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, Queen, Rush, Johnny Cash, Ella Fitzgerald, Muse, NWA, Pendulum, Joe Hisaishi, The Protomen, Leonard Cohen and They Might Be Giants among my favorites. Pretty eclectic, I guess.
sup
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:22 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
My favorite music tastes like this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rra73qyiEYA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rra73qyiEYA</a>

That is my all-time favorite instrumental song; I just can't find anything that tops it (according to my tastes). It's mixed so well and the lead tone is really nice. The only downside to it is that it's too short. And yea, I did find out about this song by watching the k-drama (Heartstrings) that it's from. And I'm man enough to be able to say that it was a pretty good show. However, if the show didn't focus so much on music and it didn't have the cute girls, I wouldn't like it nearly as much. ;3

Anyway, I like pretty much anything with epic guitar riffs and slick passionate leads. The reason I like the above song so much more than most other rock is because it's a "feel-good" song for the most part, whereas most rock and metal (that have great guitar work) are too dark and they don't exactly match my positive personality and thus they just don't really do it for me.

Other than all things rock, I really like elements of dubstep (like the interesting beat patterns it can make), though I find that most people don't know how to make good dubstep because they think repetitive and monotone rap is the peak of "music" and so their dubstep lacks flavor and a proper melody. I think Korn was the closest to finding the sweet spot for dubstep in their The Path of Totality album (close, but not quite there; at least half of those songs sound absolutely horrid). Maybe it's called metal-step in that case or something, i dunno. I guess I'd really like to find some rock/metal that just replaces the drums with the bass and beats of dubstep.

I also like me some classical every now and then, and happy hardcore can sometimes be fun if it doesn't get too annoying (on that note, "Kamehameha" by S3RL is pretty epic if you know DBZ).
  • My Music

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 06:24:49 am »
  • I can think of many things for anything.
I prefer instrumentals. Peaceful sounding stuff, like the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles soundtrack. Specifically a few songs (Sleeping Treasure in the Sand, Something Burns in the Heart, Ice Mountain, Forest of Bygone Days) but I also like types of metal and progressive. I'll listen to anything good aside of Rnb, jazz, Jpop, and country. Some bands I like would be...
Apocalyptica, Dream Theater, Bullet For My Valentine, Soundgarden, Dethklok, the Strokes, The Gorillaz, Nine inch Nails, System of A Down, R.E.M, Blue Oyster Cult, and tons more.
Need someone to grammar check your game? Message me.

Team Project:
Mythos: Shadow of Liimina- http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39897.0
SoL Sprite Thread: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0

Lunar

Former King
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 07:20:58 am »
  • Video Games
I'll listen to anything good aside of Rnb, jazz, Jpop, and country.

To completely disregard entire, massively varied genres like that is crazy. Jazz, seriously?

Unless I am misinterpreting you.
sup
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 74 queries.