Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Demo] Advancer  (Read 5339 times)

[Demo] Advancer
« on: October 12, 2012, 06:02:30 am »
  • :D
Advancer

Hello, here's a game I started making recently. It's a Platformer/Adventure game and is being made in Flash (ActionScript3) and Flashpunk. The game was started during the Ludum Dare 24 competition with the theme "Evolution", and I decided to continue working on it.

The concept of the game is to evolve the game itself. It starts off in the first generation of games, the “Odyssey” era, then through the “Atari”, “NES” and eventually the “SNES” era. The games complexity, the graphics, and your abilities improve as it evolves.
After you reach the 4th generation, you'll gain the ability to switch between the different gens at will. Each gen has different rules, so each has it's own advantages and disadvantages to be in. It could also add a certain puzzle element, figuring out which generation to use at what time.

The next demo I release will end at the same point as the current demo, except with more features and content.

Screenshots
Most recent screens are near the top. Click to see larger image.

Demo
Click here to play
This is the version I completed during the Ludum Dare competition.
Keep in mind that it's very unpolished and short, but as a demo it's pretty good.
Controls
Move - Arrows keys
Jump - X
Attack - C

Todo until next demo release
Show content
Map/Equipment Screen
Crouching/Shield
Ladders
Textbox
Treasure chests
Shops
Boss 1
Boss 2
Boss 3
More enemies
Improve graphics
Title Screen
Saving/Loading
Intro scene
More sword abilities
Screen scrolling between rooms
Better sound effects
4th Generation stuff
Music

Progress Log
Show content
April 25th - Added a bit of momentum to the player's movement, and made some slight adjustments to jumping and crouching.
April 24th - New screenshot
Nov 6th - Programmed textbox
Nov 1st - Programmed ladders
Oct 23rd - Made some gen4 graphics and posted a screenshot

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:03:21 am by Knighty »
  • Knighty Games
Re: [Demo] Advancer
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 07:19:12 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Quote from: game end
YOU   WIN!
Yay! ^,^ !!

I kinda like the graphical style, probably because I grew up playing the NES/SNES and DOS games. For an incomplete and unpolished game, it's not bad at all. I actually enjoyed taking a break from my day to play it. I'm a sucker for the Metroid platformer style, in the sense that you go explore to find upgrades. Actually, this game is pretty close to an idea I had for a platformer of my own, when I was going to make a Zelda/Metroid hybrid fan game (didn't end up doing it though). Cool stuff, Knighty.
  • My Music
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 04:29:28 am »
I've been working on some graphics for the 4th gen.

• Knighty Games

Arcaith

Landscape Police
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:58:47 am »
  • *ding*
This game looks fantastic, both the concept and the spritework is phenomenal :D
*MooN*
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 12:14:05 pm »
  • It's the grineer
Ooh, a flash game. I used to work on flash, but wasn't able to get to far because I didn't know much script  :(. Anyway, looking great. Expecting this to be a great game.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 03:29:05 am »
Damn. Finally got around to playing this.  Awesome stuff.  Hope to see your next release soon.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Koh

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 01:23:43 am »
  • Tamer Koh
I'm late to the party, but I did play it, and here's my run:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU4lSomBtqI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU4lSomBtqI</a>

I think it's a very interesting concept, and it runs pretty smooth for a flash game.  I look forward to see where this goes.
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 10:10:44 am »
Good news everyone, I started working on this game again.  8)
I made some new tiles and improved the graphics a bit.

• Knighty Games
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 11:43:47 am »
  • It's the grineer
Looking pretty good so far! The only thing that I can think when I see it is to add a little black outline to the hero. I mean, look at his hair, if he gets to a wall of that color and will mix and will be like  :huh:

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 12:02:57 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Looking pretty good so far! The only thing that I can think when I see it is to add a little black outline to the hero. I mean, look at his hair, if he gets to a wall of that color and will mix and will be like  :huh:

Hmm...even then, would black be visible enough? It's a good point though. If black doesn't work, I would suggest like a hair highlight color or something.

Either way the screenshot I see is adorable. I'm digging the smile on the blob. Very nice job.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 02:16:54 pm »
He is emulating various graphics from various consoles/PCs from the past 30 years or so.
I assume he is sticking to strict color guidelines in that screenshot similar to the NES which is usually 3 colors to a sprite + transparency.  Thus, it actually makes sense that he has no extra colors for outlines.

I could be wrong, but from what I played of the game and the premise behind it, I'd say that is the reason for it.  It only gets better as you "Advance".  As you progress, so do the sprites.  I am sure you'll get outlines and such as the era represented changes from 8-bit to 16-bit.

:)
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 03:05:16 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
...yet some of the backgrounds have outlines? :P valid point though.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 04:07:17 pm »
...yet some of the backgrounds have outlines? :P valid point though.
Backgrounds weren't limited to the same color restrictions as sprites were.  Instead of boring you with the specifications, I'll instead, give you a list of games that are great examples:
Castlevania 3
Shatterhand
Street Fighter 2010

There are some others I have seen screenshots of but forgot which games they actually were.  Anyway, if he did add an outline, he would be breaking the restrictions of the console era you are supposed to be progressing through at that point in the game.  The only way he could try something different, is to change his choices of colors for the backgrounds or sprites.

:)
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 09:14:53 pm »
Yes, I am trying to stick with the NES limitations in that screenshot. Those outlined tiles only have 4 colours, so it's not breaking any rules. :)
  • Knighty Games
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 08:42:12 pm »
The second i read the idea for this game, i wanted to play it. it sounds so smart and fun, that i cant wait to see this turn into a full game. good work. my only complaints as of now involve the rooms.

there are no transitions, and it makes it seem sloppy because it switches sloppily and in an instance.

also when you enter a room, say you were jumping, you start the room on the ground, making the world feel not as real/split apart. also i noticed in one area near the tower i would jump up, before leaving the screen, appear in the room above on a platform, and then drop down and immediatly be on the ground, and it felt very unnatural.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:20:38 am by Whitay »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 81 queries.

anything