Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Seems Microsoft Can't Count  (Read 6607 times)

Koh

Seems Microsoft Can't Count
« on: May 21, 2013, 08:47:53 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
It seems Microsoft doesn't know how to !@#$% count XD.

XBox -> XBox360 -> XBox ONE

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/
  • Megaclipse Games
Re: Seems Microsoft Can't Count
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 09:26:24 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Yea, basically they're a buncha dinks.  Doesn't seem like they're too interested in you know...GAMES.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:50:50 pm »
So.... that's actually the name....

Customer: Yes, can i please buy the Xbox 1

Employee: Sorry but we discontinued that 10 years ago

Customer: no, i mean the new Xbox One

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:49:07 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
To be quite honest I was fascinated by the new motion sensing video about the new kinect.  I didn't know that kind of detection would be physically possible, but to be honest I don't know much about the first kinect so I don't know how much of an improvement it is...  And it can handle up to 6 people.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 01:41:17 am »
Hang on guys, one of my friends (HyperRidley if anyone remembers him) figured out the naming issue.

360 degrees == 0 degrees

Therefore, 361 degrees == 1 degree

Hence! Xbox One!

Koh

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 03:20:14 am »
  • Tamer Koh
So...you spin around like a ballerina for a full circle, then nudge a bit?  Seems legit.
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 03:31:54 am »
yep, seems like something Microsoft would do

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 05:14:42 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
So by this standard, at some point we should be seeing a 360...  2, or maybe they will just call that one Zero.   :P

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 06:32:13 am »
  • I'm Pro!
got to admit, even though id like more info on the installing games bit, and live pricing and stuff. i was impressed. but, im not sold til i get more info.
  • Crim is Pro!

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 01:16:54 pm »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.
Xbox 720 sounded better, anyway, want I want to know is if Xbox One" can play Xbox 360/original game(s) if possible.

Currently looking into this, also I am guessing older controllers are still functional on it am I right?
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 03:10:12 pm »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
Xbox 720 sounded better, anyway, want I want to know is if Xbox One" can play Xbox 360/original game(s) if possible.

Currently looking into this, also I am guessing older controllers are still functional on it am I right?

Neither. It isn't backwards compatible and 360 controllers won't work. Also, indies can't self-publish so !@#$% them. I had to shield my eyes at certain parts it was so bad.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 03:11:02 pm »
  • Personal Saucier
Any word on XNA replacement? Or does the fact that indies can't self-publish defeat the original purpose of XNA?
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 03:30:56 pm »
^^Basically defeats the purpose of XNA on the Xbox as far as I know.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 03:38:30 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
The backwards compatibility doesn't bother me, to be honest...everything else however does. I really dislike the fact that you cannot play used games on the console, or borrow games from your friends! I have my fair share of used games for my PS3 (I know, I know, different console, whatever same concept). I just feel like their priorities aren't straight at all with this console. A lot of emphasis on TV and sports rather than improving gaming.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 06:12:50 pm »
I must say that I like this more than the PS4 presentation. It showed something that was more real than "a couple ideas we (might) want to realise during the life of" the ps4. They actually had functional hardware to show. What I want to know more is in how much can the Xbox One replace my reciever. Can I hook up 5.1 or 7.1 speakerset to it and can it forward signals from other devices to my TV.

This video I thought was funny:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-dEy6XSlyY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-dEy6XSlyY</a>

The television part of the Xbox One is probably pointless in the Netherlands.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:21:36 pm by Zaeranos »
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 07:48:24 pm »
Pass.  I have multiple PCs, don't need another watered down one.
Social networking - anytime I do partake in it, I do so on either a pc or my cellphone.
Movies - partake them on my pc or laptop or cellphone...not my game consoles unless I feel too lazy to switch the channel.
News - don't care to know the news except the local weather and sports from a local station, so I don't need any news streams.

I only need a game system for games that I don't want to play on my pc.  I don't need my computer replaced, I don't need my DVD/Blu-Ray/ replaced, I don't need my FREE online gaming replaced(PC and PSN), etc etc pessimism etc.

I don't like Windows 8.  More people hate it than like it in my personal relationships.  The fact that the new Xbox is integrating Windows 8 makes me loathe Microsoft even more that they are trying so hard to force it.

Anyway, I'll be getting a PS4 for my gaming needs(maybe a Wii-U eventually as well).  My Xbox days have come and gone.  I will enjoy my 360 until it is retired and no new games are released for it.

I see Microsoft's business plan - they are clearly going for the casual market like most big name game companies have these days.  From a monetary point of view, it's smart.  As long as the majority purchases the system, it's all good.

Didn't mean to rant, just don't care for this generic casual direction that the industry is taking...probably why I have been playing the old stuff alot more these days and playing PC games more times than I do my current gen consoles.

Anyway, who knows.  Maybe Microsoft will powerhouse their way into the casual audience and force Sony or Nintendo out since they do not seem to be as casual focused with all-in-one systems.  Only time will tell.

For the record:  The name of the new console sucks major ass.  :)
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 08:55:40 pm »
  • I'm Pro!
well, if this is true. which it seems like it. i am not getting the new xbox. ill stick with nintendo and pc. passing on the ps4 cause any game that comes out on it more than likely will also be on the pc. oculus rift anyone?
  • Crim is Pro!

Koh

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 10:56:53 am »
  • Tamer Koh
Just thought I'd share an interesting, backed up "essay" of sorts shared to me through Spriters-Resource.  I'm sure it's worth your time.
Alright, if you’re a consumer and you’re considering picking up the new Xbox One console, then please, take a moment to listen to me. Before we begin, no, I am not a fanboy or a hater. I have no console Bias. I have a PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, and a Gaming PC. Each has their pros and cons but now onto business.

DO NOT BUY AN XBOX ONE. Why? See the reasons below:

Xbox Requires an internet connection. Here’s how it works: Every 24 hours your Xbox will try to connect to Microsoft’s servers for verification. If it is unable to connect, sucks to be you. You’re blocked from playing even single player games until it can connect.

Source: http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

Do you like renting games, lending them to a friend, or even borrowing them from a friend? No longer possible. Every Xbox One game you get must be registered to your Xbox live account to be played. After that point it will only work for you. No one else can use it unless they pay a fee. Essentially it works like this. You pick up a used Xbox One game from somewhere or someone, pop it into your console. The system verifies it’s been registered to your account. Uh-oh, it isn’t! In order to play it, you have to pay Microsoft a fee, which is currently slated to be full retail price. Doesn’t matter how scratched up it is or how cheap you got it at gamestop or from a friend. You aren’t just buying the physical copies anymore. You’re paying Microsoft for a LICENSE to be allowed to play that game.

It is worth mentioning Microsoft is exploring ways for you to trade in and resell your used games. This is rumored to mean that you can sell your digital license to play the game (registration) back to microsoft, likely for microsoft points. You can then trade in the game at gamespot for some cash if you like. Either way, as it currently stands, the new owner would still have to pay a fee on top of the price of actually buying the physical copy.

Source: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-fee-for-buying-used-games-full-retail-price/

Is it worth mentioning that Microsoft if shafting Indie Developers as well? Where as on Playstation Network or (whatever the Wii has) Indie Developers can self publish their content easily. Playstation even encourages this. Microsoft however forces these Indie Devs to enter publishing deals with them to be allowed to market their content. You don’t go through them, you don’t get to sell what you developed.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/indie-devs-cant-self-publish-on-xbox-one

I’m not quite done yet! Now, I’m sure you heard a lot about “TV TV TV TV SPORTS TV TV SPORTS SPORTS TV.” Yes, the Xbox is slated to be able to stream live tv, live sports, etc. So let me ask you this. You obviously already have something like cable or DirecTV. Do you really want to shell out hundreds of dollars more and pay a monthly subscription fee to have another television provider? Yes, I said hundreds of dollars, and I don’t mean the cost of the console. To view live TV from the Xbox you are required to purchase ANOTHER separate device for it to work. Why would you even consider shelling out more money for something you already have anyway? Even if you didn’t, DirecTV is cheaper. Or you could even subscribe you Hulu.com and watch live tv on your computer. FOR MUCH CHEAPER. You essentially have to buy another cable box if you don’t have one. And if you do… what do you need the Xbox One for?

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-live-tv-available-in-us-only-at-launch-requires-separate-device/

So far we’ve discovered that the Xbox One is not really a gaming console, at least… not a consumer friendly gaming console. It’s being marketed as an all-in-one home entertainment system. Something to replace all of the other devices in your house. But there are drawbacks even to that. Put on your tin foil hats for this part folks. Take from it what you will, all I’ll say is… possibilities…

The Xbox One’s features will not function unless the Kinect is plugged in and active. This is not an optional piece anymore.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

So imagine your Kinect piece breaks? Tough luck, no more Xbox for you. But you know what’s worse?

Pay attention, because this is important. The Kinect is always watching. Always listening. Even when the system is off.

Yes. One of the ways to turn the system on is to audibly say: “Xbox On” while the system is off. The Kinect, which is always on, hears you and turns it on. Now this might seem like a cool feature, but did you know Microsoft patented a feature that would allow the Kinect’s camera (It’s no longer just a sensor, but a camera) to spy on you for the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America?) While they may not actually do this, it is actually possible for them to do this now. It has a camera, and a microphone. The Kinect is always on. It is ALWAYS listening, ALWAYS watching.

An idea has been tossed around that by using this feature, it will allows game developers and movie produces to set a limited amount of how many people can be allowed to view the entertainment. So as a hypothetical example, you and three friends are watching a movie, which is the maximum allowed. A fourth friend enters the room and the Kinect’s sensor registers the fourth individual. The movie stops and you a prompted to pay a fee so that the extra individual may also view the film. Again, that is NOT currently the case, but these are the ideas currently being tossed around with the system’s current capabilities.

Source for listening: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4352596/the-xbox-one-is-always-listening

Source of spying: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

Now, just two more things and I’ll be done here!

This isn’t really a good or bad thing, but it’s annoying. It also explains how they can prevent you from playing a used game if you didn’t pay their fee. Xbox one no longer plays games off the discs, you HAVE to install them to the hard-drive in order to play them. I believe PS3 also has you do this (on a number of games but not always it seems), except that PS3 isn’t trying to Nickle and Dime you at every corner. It also seems according to this article there is something related to the Online portion at the beginning of this post. The option is there for Developers to require the Xbox to always be online to play their particular game. Well, it seems PC gamers and console gamers have one thing in common now… DRM.

(At least pirates on PC can bypass DRM easily. Not an option for Consoles.)

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4352314/xbox-one-hard-drive-game-installs

And last but not least, another annoyance… Xbox One will not be compatible with any and all current headsets. Nope, companies will either have to make new headsets altogether specifically for the Xbox One, and they have to adhere to what Microsoft wants. Look forward to price gouging.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/xbox-one-incompatible-with-current-gaming-headsets

Oh, one more thing… If you have an Xbox 360, don’t get rid of it. Why? Well if you want to keep playing your old 360 games you’ll need it. The Xbox One isn’t backwards compatible. At all. Not only that, but President of Microsoft’s Xbox Division Don Mattrick insults the very notion of backwards compatibility! He calls it: “Backwards thinking.”

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4350662/new-xbox-has-no-backwards-compatibilty

Source of insult: http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/22/4355984/xbox-one-backward-compatibility-backwards-thinking-don-mattrick

That is all I have to say currently folks, and I hope you took the time to read this far. I’ll conclude with the following… please… PLEASE do not buy this console. Paying for this supports greedy and anti-consumer business practices. Speak with your wallet, and pass up the Xbox One. No matter what games it might have that you want, even if they are exclusive. Do the right thing and make a statement. Refuse to be nickle and dimed like this. Refuse to be seen as a mindless consumer who will buy anything tossed to them.

We won’t know much else until after E3, but as it stands now, the PS4 or a decent gaming PC is the best way to go.

If you are willing to do so, please spread this post around. Liking is not even remotely necessary, but do please share it if you agree with and acknowledge what you’ve read here. The more people know, the fewer of them waste their money.

Thank you, kindly.

~Dylan Jordan
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 12:03:07 pm »
The name makes complete sense to me. They present the Xbox as the one media system you will need at home. So 'One' makes perfect sense. If you want to rage about something, rage about the online requirement and the shitty mandatory Kinect.
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 02:21:54 am »
Only casuals and ignorant consumers will be tricked into believing it is an all-in-one system than can replace most everything in the home.

Consumers would be better off building a $500 desktop computer than can be updated with new hardware as needed.  As I have grown to enjoy Linux, I see my attachment to even Windows will eventually wither away.  So, I probably won't be purchasing a One either.  I enjoyed my PS3 as much as my 360, however, I find myself only playing my 360 when I want to play games my friends are playing for online games(they are not into PCs >_>).

Trust me: I will be pushing them to go to the dark side of Sony if the PS4 turns out to be a very solid gaming system.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 75 queries.

anything