Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to play the guitar?  (Read 2642 times)

How to play the guitar?
« on: September 11, 2006, 12:19:20 am »
Just wondering >.< does someone know about a webpage in which, they teach people how to play the guitar? electric or acousting >.< I don't care since I got both, but I have never knew how.. and can someone tell me how did you learnt? D:!
Re: How to play the guitar?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 12:47:12 am »
  • If not now, when?
Well, I don't really have any websites.. but I will give you a little information, if you don't know :P

A fret is the individual blocks on a guitar, you know, the things with the small lines going perpendicular to the strings. Frets closer to the end of the guitar produce a more low pitched noise, while frets lowers on the guitar produce a higher pitch noise. When reading tabs, usually they mark out what fret, and on what string you should strum.

Example:

E|----------------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------------|
G|----------------------------------------|
D|-0-------------1------------3-----------|
A|----------------------------------------|

All these tabs are on the D string, which is the 4th string. The 0 indicates that you are not pressing any string down, but you will strum that string only. The 1 indicates that you will hold this string down in the 4th fret. The 3, means you will hold this string down on the 3rd fret. Whenever a number is represented, you should strum that string while pressing the string down firmly in the fret shown.

Sorry if I missed or inacurately said anything.. I'm still learning too :D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 12:49:01 am by AcidGame »

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 01:09:13 am »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
First off you want to learn tabs

tabs are upside down compared to the strings on your guitar (if you're a righty, which I am)

D|----------------------------------------|

Each line represents each string the Bottom E is the actual top string on your guitar.

heres the easiest chords

E|-3-|
B|-3-|
G|---|
D|---|
A|-2-|
E|-3-|

E|---|
B|---|
G|---|
D|-2-|
A|-2-|
E|---|

those are two basic chords, just position your fingers like the tabs above (each number represents a fret) if you just strum the top chord then switch to that you have a basic melody. try it out.
Pixelated Tree. | I make crappy Youtube videos now.
XBL- aaronshatonyou | PSN- cpt ehren | Steam- cptehren
  • Pixelated Tree
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 01:15:17 am »
hmm.. ty alot, :D i already knew some of this.. but it helped since i didn't understood them..
now i got a problem >.<
  E   F   G   A   B   C   D   E   F   G   A   B   C   D   E   F   G

|----------------------------------------------------------0---1---3---|
    |----------------------------------------------0---1---3---------------|
    |--------------------------------------0---2---------------------------|
    |--------------------------0---2---3-----------------------------------|
    |--------------0---2---3-----------------------------------------------|
    |--0---1---3-----------------------------------------------------------|
what does E F G A B C D E F G A B C D E F G means?!!?!
oops: i just realized what it means >.< i need to learn more about spanish to english notes translation XD
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 01:24:03 am by Kren »
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 01:27:03 am »
  • Revan Does Not Care!
I used this when i was first starting.
http://www.wholenote.com/
http://www.youtube.com/HarveyArtifex

Sic vis pacem, para bellum.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 03:06:58 am »
  • Surpass the impossible & kick reason to the curb!
I basically taught myself to learn guitar, but I got help with theory and chords and such.  What you really want to do is learn chords.  Chords, chords, chords!  They make up the backbone of music as we know it.  The first chords you want to learn are the open position chords:

G:

3 <-you can play this string open (0) as well
0 <- this means to play the string without fretting any notes

C:

x <- this means do not play this string

D:

x
x

D minor:

x
x

A:

x

A minor:

x

If it helps (and I did this too), just play the top 3 strings to play the chord.  This makes transitions easier as you're starting.  You'll get more used to it as you play and soon you'll be using all the strings.

I suggest becoming comfortable with these chords before moving on to anything else.  Find tabs and learn your favorite songs.  I also suggest using the type of tabs that list the chords over the words.

I HIGHLY recommend this site for any unknown chords you come across:
http://www.chordbook.com

Good luck with your playing!
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.
  • Exploding Foot Studios
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 09:10:18 am »
  • Fendez Coder
yeh do what everyone else said, learning the old traditional chords and then moving on to simple power chordy type stuff is a good beginning.

Once you've got them down, come back for more  ;)

tabs are upside down compared to the strings on your guitar (if you're a righty, which I am)

Don't look at it that way. Think of yourself playing guitar, standing up or sitting down. Now look down to the fretboard. The string nearest you is the low E, then A.. etc. So really, the tab is the right way up.

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 01:17:10 am »
  • I'm here for the Bacon

Don't look at it that way. Think of yourself playing guitar, standing up or sitting down. Now look down to the fretboard. The string nearest you is the low E, then A.. etc. So really, the tab is the right way up.

Yeah when you think of it that way it seems reasonable, it confused me at first but once I knew which string is which I got the hang of it.
  • Pixelated Tree

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 07:46:48 pm »
This place is a good place to start with chords:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~pgt/tuolgt.html

..And getting someone who already plays guitar to help you is a must.
I also advise a metronome as you start out, such as http://www.webmetronome.com/, and this place seems pretty neat:
http://www.shredaholic.com/
Go to the lessons menu at the top: Try out learning rythym guitar, then go through lead. It may seem like it'd take longer and you didn't want to play rythym yourself etc, but its a build up that should give you a good foundation.
A couple of points: Never go faster than you can - If your slipping out, or not playing in correct time by playing too fast, slow down, and work your way up by increasing speed a little each practice (a metronome is good for that).
And, relax, enjoy it, and don't worry about what you can't do.

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 08:13:09 pm »
  • Serving Your Trainer Needs!
As a beginner, I would suggest learning power chords (they're easy to fret and a lot of popular rock songs use them) and how to read tablature. I have always thought of tablature as "Paint-By-Number" for guitar. I personally think tab is a lot easier for a beginner to pick up as opposed to staff notation... unless maybe they have a bit of a music playing background already (ie: like a high school band geek.) As for me, I learned how to play guitar from my Dad showing me chords and single note "ditties," by having friends teach me songs, scales & how to read tab, and reading about playing techniques, theory, and song tablature books. Also, as it was mentioned above, it would be a good idea for you to get ahold of a metronome (awesome for developing speed when ripping out scales, etc. LONG LIVE SPEED METAL!!! lol) Good luck Kren!

Solarrain4

The Blurred Line In-Between
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 07:52:19 pm »
  • ...Is it recording?
Some things I teach myself to do. Other than that, I take lessons from my dad's friend (pretty well known around these parts). After a while, it gets really easy. I've only been playing for two years now and I'm already really good (I'm not trying to brag. People tell me all the time. Nobody's ever given me a negative comment)

Good luck with the guitar playing. I'm sure you'll be good at it soon enough.

Mod Edit: Next time you are going to post, check the date of the previous post as this was a gravedig.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 11:32:59 pm by 4Sword »
06/29/2014 - forever and always <3
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 08:35:47 pm »
www.cyberfret.com - It helps if you have real player so you can watch videos. Basically you just need to google these things yourself if you can't afford real lessons. I did it just fine and learned myself. So have other people.

Pretty much this exact topic has been made several times in the past, and always the same answers are given time and time again. I dunno why people cant just google these for themselves, or try searching the site.
We may be human. But we're still animals.
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 09:50:50 pm »
  • Huzzowee!
If you're serious about learning to play the guitar, do NOT us tabs at all. Using tabs just makes you memorize finger movements and doesn't actually teach you any sort of skill. They're useful if you just want to quickly learn a song and with programs like Guitar Pro it's easier to write songs, but for learning it's just the easy way out which does nothing but give the illusion of talent.

The best way is to find a real teacher. Either go to some music school or look up an independant teacher. It'll cost money, but it's worth it if you really do want to learn. That way you learn the actual theory behind the music. Some people say "oh, but theory is hard to learn and it's useless". It's not. Theory is hard to swallow at first, which is why it's taught gradually and it can be a lot of work sometimes, but if you know the theory, you can do so much more. If you've ever watched a good guitarist solo live and it sounded different (read better) than odds are it was improvised. When a good guitarist improvises, it sounds good because they know the scales and the techniques. That or they have a fake book. Regardless they know how to string things together. Theory is very useful for making yourself look good.
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 10:19:29 pm »
  • Fendez Coder
I would say the better (and cheaper...) method, Alex, is to get the basics done with tabs, learn theory like mad (on your own, may as well, it's simple), then reinforce it by using tabs at first, then moving up on to sheet music. As you learn the songs, analyse what's going on, what scale it's in, and what key changes make what sort of effect.

if you don't learn other peoples songs (with tabs or not), but do learn theory, all you're going to do is play a scale over and over, which is exactly the same as what you said before - "makes you memorize finger movements and doesn't actually teach you any sort of skill"

you need to learn how to apply this theory, thus allowing you to write your own songs or improvise your own solos without them being boring, ie never tonicizing or whatever.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 10:23:07 pm by CoNfUsEd_GaMeR »

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 11:27:49 pm »
  • *whistle*
Start by getting proper lessons in classical guitar, seriously. It'll give you a really good grounding in musical theory, and classical is amazing in terms of technique.

Jazz and blues are probably the most interesting styles to learn, but folk and country are... fun.

Get a steel string once you're confident in nylon string, and then carry on from there.

Also, never forget how to read sheet music. It's something hard to do, (I can't do it properly, and I really regret it) but is really important.

Only use tab as a last resort, or a complement to sheet.
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 11:41:39 pm »
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 06:06:17 am »
Some things I teach myself to do. Other than that, I take lessons from my dad's friend (pretty well known around these parts). After a while, it gets really easy. I've only been playing for two years now and I'm already really good (I'm not trying to brag. People tell me all the time. Nobody's ever given me a negative comment)

Mod Edit: Next time you are going to post, check the date of the previous post as this was a gravedig.
woah! that is sure w gravedig! i currently know how to play the guitar, (im not so good because im lazy >_>)

Solarrain4

The Blurred Line In-Between
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 05:15:23 pm »
  • ...Is it recording?

woah! that is sure w gravedig! i currently know how to play the guitar, (im not so good because im lazy >_>)

Yeah, I do have to learn to pay attention. But I could've sworn I saw this on the first page... either that or I wasn't paying attention to that either. <_< Hey, it's just the way I am. Runs in the family, too, my dad was like that.

Well, at least you're learning. So you may not be too good, but ya gotta keep it positive, so therefore, I say what I always say: Something's better than nothing :)
06/29/2014 - forever and always <3

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 06:49:50 pm »
  • I'm here for the Bacon

I'm the same I'm not that great because I dont play as much, when you get guitar hero you kinda abandon your actual guitar for a few weeks... but other the side though I did get a bit better while I was gone.
  • Pixelated Tree
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 72 queries.