Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [Completed] Zelda: The Wheel of Fate (6 - 7 hours gameplay)  (Read 22183 times)

[Completed] Zelda: The Wheel of Fate (6 - 7 hour...
« on: August 13, 2009, 07:06:49 pm »
I've just completed a follow-up to Zelda: Return to Hyrule (not a sequel, but along the same lines), made in Gamemaker 7. I'm looking for some people to play it and rate it.

The game is called Zelda: The Wheel of Fate.

It contains 6 really difficult dungeons and a huge overworld. There are 30+ items including the hookshot, wrecking ball, statue control rod, shovel, lens of truth, and four remote-control summon monsters (including Navi!). There are secrets, treasures, NPCs (including Gorons, Zoras and Gerudo), minigames and side-quests.

The game follows the epic story of Din, last daughter of the dying Goddess Tribe. Her tribe alone knows the truth of Hyrule's past, that Ganon, Zelda and Link are locked into an endless cycle of reincarnation, dooming Hyrule to continual recurring war. Din can break the cycle by finding and rejoining the three pieces of the broken triforce. Unfortunately, they are contained within the living bodies of Ganon, Zelda and Link, and they only way to get them out is to kill all three of them. Din must also find her two sisters, Nayru and Farore, who have gone out into Hyrule and never returned, for they hold the key to defeating the mysterious force that has kept the Goddesses from saving their world.

Screenshots (Thanks to GreyK):

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/93040

And please review. I will be forever in your debt.

Thanks, all.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 01:18:24 am by 4Sword »
"I would do anything at all to gain back my youth, except get up early, take exercise, or be respectable" -- Lord Henry, The Picture of Dorian Grey.
Re: New completed fangame: Zelda the Wheel of Fa...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 08:05:18 pm »
  • Fight the Power
Okay, I hope you can deal with some criticism. :p

First of all, congrats on actually completing a game! This doesn't happen everyday so you can be proud of that. :)

Here's my review:

Sound: 2/10
I'm sorry but I had to turn it off. I don't know if it was meant to be like that, but there's so much noise that you can barely hear the background music playing.

Gameplay: 3/10
When you start making a fangame, the first thing you have to make sure is working perfectly and presents no problems is the movement. If you screw that up, people will probably not continue playing. Collisions were also a problem. I got stuck every two seconds. There were also parts where you couldn't avoid getting hit by an enemy. I don't think forcing the player to get hit is a good idea.

Story: ?/10
Since I didn't get too far in the game, I'm not able to rate this. One thing I didn't like though is playing as Din, but I'm sure some people will disagree and tell you it's original.

I know it's harsh criticism but I like being honest when giving an opinion.

Good luck with your future games. :]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 08:07:08 pm by Darunia »

Currently Listening to: Mos Def - Summertime
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 08:52:14 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I really have to disagree with pretty much everything you said, Darunia.

No problems with the sound on my end
Nothing wrong with the movement
Collisions just need some corner cutting implemented
Never had a problem getting hit by enemies

Overall, I thought this was made pretty damn well.  Although I did notice one thing on the mini boss in the cave to Hyrule, you can attack him while he walks past the door and have the battle trigger with you outside of the boss room.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 08:55:03 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I don't know about the sound. One thing I've noticed abuot gamemaker is that it does get sound glitches on some machines. This game has perfect sound on my laptop but no music on my (older) desktop. There's nothing I can do about that -- it's a glitch in gamemaker.

As for movement -- I'll have to check this out because I never got stuck, ever, in all my playtesting (except sometimes when screwing around with the hookshot).

Thanks for your honest opinion.
"I would do anything at all to gain back my youth, except get up early, take exercise, or be respectable" -- Lord Henry, The Picture of Dorian Grey.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 09:13:42 pm »
  • Fight the Power
About the sound; I don't know if it's my laptop, since you guys don't seem to have any problems with it, but it suddenly went blank and after a while it went up.

I can't believe you guys aren't having trouble with getting stuck! >_<! That's what made me stop playing, everytime I hit a wall and then pressed a key to go in another direction, it stayed there for a few seconds before moving.

Raen

Are you retarded or something?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 09:30:41 pm »
  • I'm the gosh-darn Batman!
While I don't think it's as game breaking as Darunia is making it sound, this is what he's talking about. Basically, if you standing right next to a wall (as in, you walked into it) and then try to move along the wall, you don't move. I believe this might be because the engine is thinking there is something solid there when there isn't. It should be a easy fix.

As for sound problem, the only thing I noticed is that the music is too quiet in comparison to the sound effects. This is also an easy fix, you simply need to adjust volumes.

Other than that, I quite enjoyed this little game. I'll play more later, but for now I've only gott 10 or 15 minutes into it, and it's pretty enjoyable. I think the graphics are well done and functional (albeit not particularly fancy) and the gameplay in general is pretty good.

www.myspace.com/applesofidunn

And yes, this is Acid Rain.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 09:33:43 pm »
  • Fight the Power
While I don't think it's as game breaking as Darunia is making it sound, this is what he's talking about. Basically, if you standing right next to a wall (as in, you walked into it) and then try to move along the wall, you don't move. I believe this might be because the engine is thinking there is something solid there when there isn't.
Yes, exactly! :D It sounds like a little problem, with with a computer as shitty as mine it's a big issue. >_<

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 10:17:29 pm »
Okay, here is my criticism. It is pretty hard, but please take it as a motivation for improvement.

First of all I have to say that I haven't played your first game. And this presented a problem in your first dungeon. I also must say that I haven't played any further than the first dungeon.

Your biggest problem is the movement and collisions. I got stuck more often than not. And often I just needed to press the key button again instead of holding it down. Secondly to move through narrow passages like doors or bridges you need to be exactly in front of it. But when pushing rocks you only needed to graze them. The attached image shows how I got stuck because of that. Going diagonal looks like you walk on a stair. It isn't really fluid. Finally you walk right through NPC's instead of being blocked.

It is nice to see the use of GBC graphics, but there are some tiling errors. Additionally the sprites for Din are really limited. When Din is walking against a wall it isn't animated, allthough there are walking sprites. But when she is pushing a block it isn't animated. Also for using a weapon you use same sprites. It is as if you haven't done anything for the graphics but use existing sprites. Considering Din hasn't many sprites to begin with that means it is very limited.

With the sound I haven't turned it off though it was annoying. But what was the biggest problem was that you had a lot of sounds for many things in the world, but no sounds for the things that matter. For example, no sound for moving pushable objects. No sound for the breaking of pots and the worst of all, you don't have the irritating 'beep' for when you're about to die. The lack of correct audio feedback makes it frustrating to play.

Gameplay: Well the rotten movement makes it difficult to play. But there are some other things that are wrong. The random objects comming from pots and plants contain objects that are useless to you. For example I got regularly bombs from them, but I can't even use them. And what are those blue rounds for above your harts. The first dungeon and the beginning of the should be a training for new people to get to know the game, but I had to find everything out myself and I still don't know if there is some kind of context button, with which you can pick up objects (if that is possible).

It contains 6 really difficult dungeons and a huge overworld.
Well it can be, but I haven't had the urge to explore it. Mostly because the movement through the world is difficult. When I came out of the end of the first dungeon (or the cave) I got stuck in the edge. And the only way to go was back in the dungeon.

There are 30+ items including the hookshot, wrecking ball, statue control rod, shovel, lens of truth, and four remote-control summon monsters (including Navi!).
Nothing to be proud of. 30+ is more than often a problem than an asset to your game. Most of the items are going to have overlapping gameplay. You probably be able to remove 10 items and still be able to play the game. I rather see a game that only has the sword, shield, a few bottles and one weapon for each dungeon. As long as each weapon is fully explored.

The game follows the epic story of Din, last daughter of the dying Goddess Tribe. Her tribe alone knows the truth of Hyrule's past, that Ganon, Zelda and Link are locked into an endless cycle of reincarnation, dooming Hyrule to continual recurring war. Din can break the cycle by finding and rejoining the three pieces of the broken triforce. Unfortunately, they are contained within the living bodies of Ganon, Zelda and Link, and they only way to get them out is to kill all three of them. Din must also find her two sisters, Nayru and Farore, who have gone out into Hyrule and never returned, for they hold the key to defeating the mysterious force that has kept the Goddesses from saving their world.
That Din is the main character has some potential, although it can also go horribly wrong when the story doesn't fit. I can understand that Ganon has to be killed, but Link and Zelda is really weirding me out. As I haven't fully played it I can't say if the story is good, but from the description it sounds as if it still needs some work.

My overall conclusion is that this game is rush job. Even the original Legend of Zelda had better gameplay mechanics than this one. My advice is to get back to the drawing board. Make some decent sprites for the main character, get the good sound effects and change the engine to something usable. Because this is a rush job and it seems to me that you used the same engine as the previous game, without improving it and just put a new story and world on it.

Most fangames don't get further than a demo, but those at least make me want more. Your game makes me want even less.

This is my review, it is pretty hard, but don't let it put you down. I hope it motivates you to work hard to improve this game.

While I don't think it's as game breaking as Darunia is making it sound, this is what he's talking about. Basically, if you standing right next to a wall (as in, you walked into it) and then try to move along the wall, you don't move. I believe this might be because the engine is thinking there is something solid there when there isn't.
Yes, exactly! :D It sounds like a little problem, with with a computer as shitty as mine it's a big issue. >_<

Well the movement made me want to stop playing as well.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 10:37:05 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
There were also parts where you couldn't avoid getting hit by an enemy. I don't think forcing the player to get hit is a good idea.

Are you talking about that cave of "agony and suffering" or whatever it was called? I never had any problem like that until I went there, but I didn't play very far in to it. As long as it's not part of the game that you MUST play in order to beat it, then it's not a huge issue, but I do agree that it just isn't quite right to force the player to be hurt. I'm guessing the idea was to make sure the player had already worked to gain enough health before getting whatever it was, but there are much better ways to make something accessible later on in a game.

But enough of the nasty talk, I was impressed by this game! Yes it needs some polishing in a few areas, but mostly in collisions/movement and the sounds need to be toned down. I like the sword slash animation, it made me want to kill things! ^_^ Playing as Din actually didn't disappoint me, though I like playing as Link better, I still liked it.
I was impressed because the over world really does feel large! There are lots of people to talk to, lots of caves and places to explore. It looks quite good.
Mostly though, I am impressed that you completed the game, that is more than many MANY people can say.

My critical rating is 6/10 overall (big points for it being finished), BUT that's with only playing through the first boss fight and getting to Hyrule castle, but not being allowed in (typical, lol), and then taking on the cave that kills.

Anyway, congratulations on completing a playable Zelda game with all the works! It just needs a bit more polish and a few fixes and it'd be amazing. I encourage you to listen to what people don't like and/or how they think it can be improved and maybe try to fix it up and release a new and improved version.

I enjoyed it, thanks so much for making it!  XD

• My Music
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 11:20:59 pm »
  • Fight the Power
I can't remember the name FF. >_< I did have the problem all over the game though.

My criticism is from the player point of view. Since we're all developpers here, we might be impressed by what others do and sometimes you may like the way he did something and discard the fact that it isn't working properly because you know how hard making things work is.
But the ones who actually are going to play the thing don't have that mentality. :P People are extremely harsh and picky when it comes to controls. There's always something to nag about, and I prefer telling you blunty that this is wrong, this too, etc.

But it could be my computer that's really messed up. :P I redownloaded the game and am going to check it out once more tomorrow.

Raen

Are you retarded or something?
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 12:05:57 am »
  • I'm the gosh-darn Batman!
My point, Darunia, is that this is simply an amateur made game. Done of us are exactly professionals: As such, expecting a game of professional quality from every singe fan game is unrealistic; for criticism given to fan games, a good amount of negative and positive feedback must be give if the criticism is meant to be truly constructive.

www.myspace.com/applesofidunn

And yes, this is Acid Rain.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 12:10:47 am »
  • Fight the Power
Exactly, thus why my criticism is harsh. Many of you just say "yeah it's nice I like this I liked that". Well I'm here to say what's wrong with it so he can make something better next time.

It balances out. :P

But let's stop spamming. >_<

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 01:02:22 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
...Who's spamming? O_o  I see nothing but discussion regarding criticism going on in here.  That looks fine to me.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Bludleef

Forum Dragon
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 01:52:21 am »
  • Everybody's Gotta Eat.
Wow very entertaining. Sure you get stuck every now and then, but not enough to make me quit.  The music was great, but like others have said the sound effects are a bit too loud.  Great work didn't get to finish it, but definitely will sit down and do it when I have time.

Also my niece says.

A Zelda game where you can be a girl?!? COOL!!

And she is playing it now.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 01:54:36 am by Bludleef »

SOME LINKS
 -> Bludsoft Productions
  • Bludsoft
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 02:04:38 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君

Lass feels forgotten.  >:[

Bludleef

Forum Dragon
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 06:09:02 am »
  • Everybody's Gotta Eat.

Lass feels forgotten.  >:[

You got to realize my niece is 7 years old she never played that game.

SOME LINKS
 -> Bludsoft Productions
  • Bludsoft
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 11:05:40 am »
  • Fight the Power
...Who's spamming? O_o  I see nothing but discussion regarding criticism going on in here.  That looks fine to me.
Sorry, you're right, it wasn't spam, but it was off-topic. This isn't a discussion about how people should give criticism, it's about the game.

That said, I'm playing through it right now.

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 04:04:53 pm »
I was just testing it again last night and I'm still unsure on this collision problem. I could only find that you stop if you walk diagonally into a wall or object. You don't get stuck, per se, but you have to stop pushing into the wall. Is this the problem people are having?

Thanks, all. And thanks for all the feedback.
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 05:13:38 pm »
My turn:

Okay, so I just got to the shrine with Nayru, this is how far I've played btw.

I like it, I really do, and I think it's pretty awesome to play as Din, and so far I've enjoyed myself while playing, however, I have to agree on a few issues already brought up, such as the weird collision detection for example, when moving towards blocks. Also, the sound issue, while I had my volume turned down, the sound effects did seem pretty loud (I do like the original Zelda sound effects though) and the music really soft, probably just a balance issue.

Again, I haven't got far yet, but congratulations on completing a game! (Never happens around here). And good luck in the future!
I might post more as I play more as well k? :D

Manly men don't sass. Manly men get in FIGHTS! Fist fights using manly fists!
  • JetDesigns
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 09:41:20 pm »
  • Formerly P_C_G
I loved it i did not play very far into the game but what i did play i enjoyed
the only problem i had was the corner collision problem and i think i got to where i did a little to fast but other than that may i say good job
even though i only played to a little past the first boss
i know that this is something im glad i downloaded kudos
I am not new i just poke my head in from time to time
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 74 queries.

anything