Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renting/buying used games = piracy  (Read 4107 times)

Re: Renting/buying used games = piracy
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 07:38:11 pm »
Learn fast, we have no power in how a company is run. If the developers increased their pressure onto game shops instead of the consumer then there'd be more chance of seeing a change.
I couldn't disagree more. Businesses exists to sell things and services. If consumers stop buying a product or service (in this case used games), the business will stop selling it, or change the way it sells it to appeal to the consumer more.

Consumers can change the way a company does business. If people speak, businesses will listen, if they know what's good for them.

You're talking about something thats only interest is to make money, if it was the ultimatum that the company will have to listen to consumers then yes they may. But this ain't no ultimatum, they wont listen to the consumers.
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 07:41:46 pm »
Learn fast, we have no power in how a company is run. If the developers increased their pressure onto game shops instead of the consumer then there'd be more chance of seeing a change.
I couldn't disagree more. Businesses exists to sell things and services. If consumers stop buying a product or service (in this case used games), the business will stop selling it, or change the way it sells it to appeal to the consumer more.

Consumers can change the way a company does business. If people speak, businesses will listen, if they know what's good for them.

You're talking about something thats only interest is to make money, if it was the ultimatum that the company will have to listen to consumers then yes they may. But this ain't no ultimatum, they wont listen to the consumers.
You forget that the consumers are the ones giving them the money (indirectly of course)
  • Google Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 07:43:17 pm »
  • I just saved Hyrule! I'd say that's worth a kiss.
They'll listen to consumers if they want to maximize profits. That's the way an economy works.

I would like to own my own business one day, but I wouldn't make a business that sells my fingernail trimmings. Why? because consumers wouldn't want that. It wouldn't sell or make a profit. Instead I'd listen to consumers and sell them something they want.

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"
"SFPFPWMF,MAZ,BMOTAONFC" for short.
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 07:52:26 pm »
I haven't seen a Gamestop up here in Beaverland, but we do have lots of EBs, which of course might as well just be rebranded as Gamestop, and they tend to have a lot more new copies than Cuddle is describing.  However, they do sell a ton of used games, and often at full prices, or close to it, so the new copy bit is the only difference.  I often talk to the people behind the counter though, and they're always annoyed when a less hyped game gets only a couple new copies in.

But you act as if we can't possibly do anything, but real-world boycotts of !@#$% can have effects, and if we start something on the internet it would be open to more numbers of people.  We could spread it to as many sites as possible.  Of course it's easy to believe that nothing will come of it, but thinking like that is what stops these things from getting started in the first place.
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 07:56:55 pm »

You forget that the consumers are the ones giving them the money (indirectly of course)

These companies get their money from many more places then just consumers, they wouldn't be able to survive if there only source of income was just the consumer. But they could survive if they lost consumers, just means they'd lose the purpose of the business.

They'll listen to consumers if they want to maximize profits. That's the way an economy works.

I would like to own my own business one day, but I wouldn't make a business that sells my fingernail trimmings. Why? because consumers wouldn't want that. It wouldn't sell or make a profit. Instead I'd listen to consumers and sell them something they want.

They sell games, they didn't have to listen to their consumers to know they wanted games. Games Industry is pretty huge, easy way to make money...
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 09:57:12 pm »
  • Wu tang Forever
Well, good thing I download my games.
I lol'd

How about the developers stop wining and make a game that I don't feel like I've done everything worth-while within the first month and then have to sell...
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 10:07:14 pm »
  • I just saved Hyrule! I'd say that's worth a kiss.
How about the developers stop wining and make a game that I don't feel like I've done everything worth-while within the first month and then have to sell...

How about you get off your high-horse, get your head out of your butt, and try and enjoy all the fresh, new games that have been coming out the past two months? There are !@#$% tons of great, innovative games out there.

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"
"SFPFPWMF,MAZ,BMOTAONFC" for short.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 10:15:16 pm »
  • :3
I was bored and downloaded Rotohex. Now I am entertained and possibly addicted.
Gannon-banned brother.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2008, 05:21:06 am »
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2008, 05:57:14 am »
  • Your expression has changed too
I only buy a game used when it isn't sold anymore. I never buy my used games at GameStop though. There are much better prices online.
Ghoster Poster
  • I have a Twitter if you're into that kinda thing
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2008, 06:26:30 am »
Used games suck unless you really can't afford a new game; in which case GameStop's used games are way overpriced.

gamestop sucks, use ebay or amazon
You obviously need to find a better source of used games. Right by me there's a place called Willow Video and they sell mostly sell used games. They're way cheaper than ebgames/gamestop (no gamestops in BC) and they test every game before putting them on the shelves as well as giving you a pretty much unconditional 3 month warranty in case they don't work. So yeah my experiences with used games have been good.

Anyway, I wouldn't exactly call buying used goods piracy, I mean what if the vehicle industry started whining that used cars brought down their profit margins, I don't think they would exactly get very far with that one.
I made a thing! Please try the thing, it's what the kids are calling a "vidja game" for the iOS Splashy Bucket
  • Fictitious Spoon Productions
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2008, 02:55:38 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Used games suck unless you really can't afford a new game; in which case GameStop's used games are way overpriced.

You obviously need to find a better source of used games. Right by me there's a place called Willow Video and they sell mostly sell used games. They're way cheaper than ebgames/gamestop (no gamestops in BC) and they test every game before putting them on the shelves as well as giving you a pretty much unconditional 3 month warranty in case they don't work. So yeah my experiences with used games have been good.

A better source than eBay or Amazon?  Well, personally I don't buy from either of those sources; I was just agreeing with Swoftu that they're better than GameStop.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2008, 04:51:24 pm »

You're assuming that every city has a good used game store within reasonable distance.
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2008, 07:07:02 pm »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
As a "support the industry" guy, I usually avoid buying used games. Only if the game is hard to find do I resort to buying pre-owned games.
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 63 queries.

anything