Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UrbEx - the latest craze  (Read 1825 times)

UrbEx - the latest craze
« on: April 14, 2007, 04:21:35 pm »
  • Fendez Coder
I don't know how many of you guys are familiar with this hobby, UrbEx, or Urban Exploration, to give it its full name, but it's seeming to really take off here in the UK, and it's damn fun. If you don't know what it is, it's basically trying to get to places where people would never normally go, that is to say, for example, old-abandoned buildings, or on rooftops. Or as www.28dayslater.co.uk says:

I personally believe that it is the exploring of abandoned buildings of which the public has forgotten or wish to forget. It also refers to the exploring of the Urban Landscape around you whether it be the Drains below your feet or the Tower Cranes above your head. There is also Infiltration which is the exploring of live or active sites.

What Urban Exploration and Infiltration are all about is learning to appreciate your surroundings and the buildings and structures around you and seeing beauty in places where many people will not. It is also about gaining access to these places in order to document, photograph, film or just explore these places.

Anyway, now you know what it is, I thought I'd show you my first UrbEx venture :P Thursday night we climbed the tallest building in my town, Jumbo Water Tower:

This was our view from the top:

That's what we were looking over, the Highstreet.

It was quite a rush, especially when we heard police sirens half way through haha. I'll be moving on to bigger things soon for sure :D

so does anyone else here do it? dan maybe?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 10:50:47 pm by CoNfUsEd_GaMeR »

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games
Re: UrbEx - the latest craze
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 10:18:54 pm »
  • Wu tang Forever
It looks pretty cool.
I think I'm going to try it soon.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 10:24:59 pm »
I'm charging my camera batterys as we speak. This looks mighty fun.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 10:47:29 pm »
  • Fendez Coder
which bit of England are you from? got any specific buildings in mind?

I'm going for this one tomorrow:
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=165545

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 10:49:07 pm »
  • hungry..
Looks pretty crazy... unfortunately my town is small and there's not a lot of places like that around. Maybe 2 years ago I would have been up for doing this kind of thing.

As for Dan.. I'm fairly sure he hasn't been here in a LONG time.
  • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 10:53:06 pm »
which bit of England are you from? got any specific buildings in mind?

I'm going for this one tomorrow:
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=165545

I live in Telford, England. Its kind of a !@#$% hole, but I'm sure there are many places to go. I cant think of anywhere specific just yet, but I'm sure I can survey some buildings. Would love to try the Parish Council Office XD.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 12:35:15 am »
Haha, I've always loved exploring. Shame it's pretty risky here considering every abandoned building will be filled with chavs injecting heroin.

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 08:13:43 am »
  • hungry..
Haha, I've always loved exploring. Shame it's pretty risky here considering every abandoned building will be filled with chavs injecting heroin.
Should create an inbred 'hobby' and call it "Scally Hunting".
  • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 09:27:26 pm »
  • that old name
Seems fun, really! I would do this kinda stuff all the time, if there were places to look at here, haha.
I live in a rather new town(developed almost entirely in the past decade). Everything is ..new, and unexceptional.

We have a million subdivisions all filled with relatively new homes, all about the same height, shape, etc.. all right out in the open. Where anyone, anywhere sees everything you'd be doing..
..So much for "gaining access"; as if anything that I could access would be surprising in the slightest :P.

We've got some shopping centers, filled with mostly unexceptional stores, in classy but average buildings no more than 2 floors high.
..Hmm.. then we have some land(spotty and far between, these days).. that's all it was until this town came about, so ..there's nothing old to look at.

Where I live there's not near enough land to feel secluded; but at the same time, there isn't much exceptional to look at :-\.
I guess that's what happens in a fairly new, 100% pre-planned community. No surprises here! ..I guess it's aesthetically pleasing though :).
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 11:46:51 pm »
  • 笑い男
i'm telling your parents >:(

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 01:38:08 am »
  • Maybe I'll just sit here and bleed at you.
CG, it's been here in North America [especially Canada, but also in the US] for a long time.  I'd recommend joinin Urban Exploration Resource, I've been a member there for almost a year now and it's one of the better NA sites.  I found out about urbex about 3 years ago when I stumbled on Infiltration by accident [RIP Ninjalicious].  If you end up joinin, Msg me ^-^ profile link is in my sig.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 01:43:01 am by gildedlink »
  • Chaos Colosseum
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 01:46:33 am »
  • that old name
CG, it's been here in North America [especially Canada, but also in the US] for a long time.  I'd recommend joinin Urban Exploration Resource, I've been a member there for almost a year now and it's one of the better NA sites.  I found out about urbex about 3 years ago when I stumbled on Infiltration by accident [RIP Ninjalicious].  If you end up joinin, Msg me ^-^ profile link is in my sig.

Wow, first I'm hearing of it.
Despite my already stated not-too-fascinating environment - I'll give this a look, and check out these websites!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 01:53:38 am by Sterlin254 »
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 02:57:38 pm »
Kind of a grave dig, but this is bloody fun, theres a little mine near where I live, and I can get in, so I'm gonan go in there when I get a powerful torch :)
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 01:58:58 pm »
Eh I've done this a fair amount, know a few people who do it a lot, been in some old 2WW military places where they made bombs, old mines, derelict buildings and all that. I've never had problems with the police but I have from others in these places, some homeless guy caused me trouble once..

I ♥ Open Girlfriend (What!? I didn't add this.. must have been Solly!)
  • My DevArt Account
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 64 queries.