Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macintosh Rom hecking Utilities  (Read 4646 times)

Macintosh Rom hecking Utilities
« on: April 20, 2006, 09:28:14 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Hi. I was wondering if there were any utilities for editing the text in an N64 rom file for Mac. I really need one, and help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)
  • Lionfish Apps
Re: Macintosh Rom hecking Utilities
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 11:00:19 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
For the time being, there are none. Don't worry I have several solutions for your problem :

- Program one by yourself, this is the hard way but surely the best.
- Ask for someone that has Windows to edit the text for you.
- Buy Virtual PC and and download the tools from Windows
- If and only if you have an Intel Mac, then download boot camp OS X from the official Apple website, this will let you install Windows natively on your Mac. It is better than Virtual PC because you are running Windows natively at the best speed you can get.

Apart from that, try Google, but I really doubt you'll find hecking tools for Mac.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 11:27:21 pm »
If someone can give me the file format of N64 roms, ill be happy to write a simple program to modify in-game text.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 11:31:12 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
What do you mean by file format? I guess it's .z64, or .rom, depends on how old is the rom you are using. Anyhow, try Dextrose for more info and tools. And how are you gonna write a program for Mac?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 11:33:01 pm »
What do you mean by file format? I guess it's .z64, or .rom, depends on how old is the rom you are using. Anyhow, try Dextrose for more info and tools. And how are you gonna write a program for Mac?

No i mean file format as in how the binary data in the rom file is stored, and how it must be loaded (techie info). As for writting a program for mac, im writing RGD am i not, and thats for mac/linux and windows, so mac on its own shouldnt be a problem.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 11:36:17 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
About the binary data, check the website I gave you, under "Development", there's a Documentation section, try that. Maybe Emutalk will help you too, it's the official forum of Project 64, and has lots of boards about other emulators, and how the N64 emulation works.

Actually, now that I think of it, you are writing RGD in Blitz right? How are you going to compile it into a Mac program? a Linux program?

gm112

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 11:45:23 pm »
or maybe you find the format yourself helios dont have time to go look. he's quite busy unforchinutly. just give him something simple and he'll give you it. is that too much to ask? also he's willing to do it for you.

he compiles it into other os's by getting the blitzmax versions for mac and linux and run it under mac and linux
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 11:48:53 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
or maybe you find the format yourself helios dont have time to go look. he's quite busy unforchinutly. just give him something simple and he'll give you it. is that too much to ask? also he's willing to do it for you.

he compiles it into other os's by getting the blitzmax versions for mac and linux and run it under mac and linux

First of all, I'm helping Helios, since I'm providing links that have useful information on what he is searching. "or maybe you find the format yourself helios dont have time to go look", Helios asked for the format >_>.

Also, I wasn't aware that Helios had a Mac!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 11:52:04 pm »
*sigh* Why do people argue whenever i try to help <_>.

I dont have a mac, but i know plenty of programmers that do, and would be willing to compile it for me. Or if im bored i can do it in C++, and compiled it straight form gcc.

Anyway its about 1am here, so ill have a look into this tomorrow and see if i can do a small tool to help you.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 02:50:48 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
I bought Virtual PC, but it freakin' broke. -_- There goes 300 dollars. And also, I don't think anyone would want to do it for me on their Windows, because I'm translating an entire game out of Japanese. So, that would be awesome Helios. As soon as you can the better, since my vacation ends soon. I want to at least get a bit done. ;)
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 03:05:03 am »
  • Credits to BaB
Mind if I ask, what game are you translating?
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 04:31:39 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
Custom Robo for the N64. :D I'll post the edited rom for you all when I'm done, if you'd like.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 05:39:36 am »
I would love too see that but posting links to roms or rom sites is not allowed here.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 06:10:26 am »
No i mean file format as in how the binary data in the rom file is stored, and how it must be loaded (techie info). As for writting a program for mac, im writing RGD am i not, and thats for mac/linux and windows, so mac on its own shouldnt be a problem.
Data in ROMs of any variety are stored as binary data, and since space in ROMs is so limited, oftentimes the data is compressed and\or bit-packed*, making it very hard to actually find text streams and data unless you know (a) exactly where to look in the ROM, and (b) what compression scheme was used to obfuscate the data.

Furthermore, it is likely that nearly every n64 game out there uses a different combination of tactics to squeeze all the data they need into their ROMs: one might store text strings between arrays of scripts, while another might store all of the text strings at the very end of the ROM, but use a dictionary compression scheme that pulls words in strings from other strings; so that modifying one string may inadvertently modify many others.

The best way to find where all the text is saved in the game is to step through the game's machine code at runtime, and look for a place from where the game reads a small amount of data from the ROM every time a new piece of text is shown.

I don't mean to discourage you, but just let you know what you're up against (to be honest, I've never looked at n64 roms looking for text, my experience with compressed strings and graphics comes from my study of SNES and GBA roms. It is possible, though unlikely, that the develoeprs of N64 roms chose to eschew all the compression routines they had learned over the past two generations, and they stored their strings in plaintext).

Good luck! =)

* (Diablo 2 had a similar problem: uncompressed, the amount of sprites in that game would have taken up several gigs of hard drive space; therefore, all of the character sprites in Diablo 2 are compressed in a format that combines line-length encoding, 4bit/16 color bitpacking, and sequential buffer blitting. The space saving are amazing; I wrote a program that could decode the *.DCC format so I could use Diablo 2's sprite for my upcoming game; I was astounded to learn that the DCC format can squeeze over 447kb of uncompressed bitmaps into a 37.7kb DCC. Blizzard is absolutely awesome).
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 07:10:26 am »
Youch, hum, thats sounds pretty awfull. Oh well.
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 01:11:10 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
Custom Robo for the N64. :D I'll post the edited rom for you all when I'm done, if you'd like.

Hyrule_boy is right, you are going to have to make an .ips patch for the game, just like Pyro does for his Pokemon heck.

About finding the text, there is already a text editor for Zelda 64 out there. FarFromHomeFish is right though, you would have to write a special tool for Custom Robot, since every game is differently code.
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 03:07:39 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
I just remembered that I can't post roms as I was posting it. But oh well. And also, there are windows text editors that are compatible with any N64 game. So what's their trick?
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 10:48:31 pm »
I just remembered that I can't post roms as I was posting it. But oh well. And also, there are windows text editors that are compatible with any N64 game. So what's their trick?
I have no idea, to be honest. =) It's possible that these programs you mention look through the ROM and check for places where the game reads a small amount of data from memory, then increments through this array and draws small textures as it goes? There are some very talented hackers out there that have a relatively easy time decoding unknown file formats (I've spoken with two of these, and I honestly felt a little jealous during the conversation; sort of a 'why can't I do that too?' feeling).

SwordsGateSCAS

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 10:43:41 am »
why rom heck the only one worth hecking is pokemon and thats old now
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 02:03:24 pm »
  • I choose you, Zorua!

Seriously though, IF you decide to gravedig; at least add some content to your post.
My name is Pitt
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 78 queries.