Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: OOT2D Map Project - Accepting Community Sprites - Read  (Read 204409 times)

Re: New: OOT2D Map Project - Gerudo Valley
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 03:58:40 pm »
Well, I would make something like a "Second Quest" or extra story plus a new town or something.

Oh, I remembered I had an OOT poster somewhere with a sketch of the world map on it. I made some pictures of it, maybe it is of some assistance.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 08:45:37 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Quote from: TakaM about 20 seconds ago on MSN having me relay a message to you :P
Hey MaJoRa, it's TakaM here.
Not sure if you remember me but I was pretty into tiling areas with LTTP tiles when I used to post here, anywho I saw this thread and your tiling and I had to give you some advice:

First off, here's WWFans' TileSplit program (I hope he doesn't mind me uploading it), this will help you quickly remove the tiling grid and it makes it easier to identify faults.
Now for the criticism:
Here's your hyrule field with flaws pointed out
I'll go over these in depth in no particular order.
Most things are just small tiling errors where you forgot small but necessary tiles or transition tiles are missing, you're missing a lot of shadow tiles for the north facing cliffs, and there's a few spots where some tiles use slightly different colours.
Your FSA trees have a hue shift towards dark blue which is cool, but doesn't really fit in with LTTP, you should alter the colours more in line with the original LTTP trees.
Your grass is a little too patchy, you should group the tufts of grass together in more natural shapes rather than individual tiles, don't forget to use the little animated flowers too.
There was more variety to the dirt pathways than what you have used, I think around the teleporter on the death mountain on LTTP (I can't remember if it was the light or dark version) there is a ring of dirt using every single tile for the dirt paths- you should check it out if you're curious.

I'm not tooting my own horn here, but here's an area for a fangame I made years ago
It's not without its share of errors of course, I'm mainly showing you it for how I used the tufts of grass and flower tiles, the shadow under the bridge, the leaves near the trees, the rocks in the shallow water, basically all the attention to detail.

Now don't take any of this the wrong way, you're doing an awesome and inspiring job with all this.
You're going to run into a lot of situations the LTTP tileset wasn't made for, don't be afraid to just create custom tiles.
And lastly, you should consider tiling these areas in gamemaker, I can remember how tedious tiling areas in paint was, and it didn't really help people that much since they had to retile them in GM. It's really a lot easier once you get the hang of it and it will help you avoid simple mistakes.

keep up the good work.

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 10:10:40 am »
ANother error that has crawled into the lake laboratory in lake hylia. BTW: Mamy, couldn't he post that himself  :huh: :huh: Or is he banned or something?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 10:21:33 am by Niek »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 10:45:43 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
ANother error that has crawled into the lake laboratory in lake hylia. BTW: Mamy, couldn't he post that himself  :huh: :huh: Or is he banned or something?

He left :P Doesn't really wanna re-register.

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 11:57:31 am »
  • .越//
He left :P Doesn't really wanna re-register.

but its great from him to help anyway, good to hear some real critism again ;D

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 10:56:32 pm »
Wow, that has to be the most detailed criticism I have read since the start of this project.

Thank you .TaKaM, it is a pleasure to receive some constructive criticism from someone who is as skilled as you are. I see your point about my cliff tiles, and the shadows which I have not included, and if you had not mentioned them to me I would never have noticed them. It is amazing how much you can miss on a project this big, but I suppose having the tileset optimiser program really made it easier to see (without the pink lines), so thanks for those too.

I also now see the issue with my water tiles, it is looking like I will have to go back to my LTTP overworld rip and see what I can get from it to repair this.

Also thank you Niek for pointing out the laboratory, I will add that to my "todo" list.

From the look of what you have shown me this will be a rather long repair job, which means I wont be posting any more updates on this for a while (at least until I have repaired them throughout my entire map. Though I have mapped out the entire lost woods, I am just resolving the imperfections.

Again, thank you for your help
  • Elliott Parkinson
Re: OOT2D Map Project - Fixing Errors
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 12:05:06 am »
Right, firstly I should say I hate a double post as much as the next person, but I have news now, so I suppose this one is justified. To start with, I have repaired every single error which was pointed out on this thread, aside from .TaKaM's which I am still working on.

Niek, I have fixed the error on the laboratory. I have also added a drawbridge to the castle (closed), and in Gerudo Valley it is much less monotone. You can see the changes to the castle here:

I am not posting the all of the changes to the map (mainly my north-facing cliff tiles, water tiles,etc) because they are yet to be complete, I will re-post all of the areas when I have done it. Though I now only have half of Hyrule Field, Gerudo Valley and Lake Hylia to do. I would like some C+C on the drawbridge however, my recolour of the trees and the water in that area if you could please, as well as anything else you might think of.

In addition, ready for when I get to Kokiri Forest again (hopefully soon), I have started working on my tree houses again. My original attempt is the first on the left, and the following two are my recent attempts. They are below:

Again, C+C on these would be great, I would also like advice on which might be the best to use in my area?

One more thing, I have recently had several requests for the tileset I used to create this. I came to the conclusion the map itself was the tileset. As a direct result of this, I have made my own tileset, which I believe has the majority of what I have, and what I have recently ripped. Please note the well is custom by me, as are the tall tree stumps, the water tiles and the tree houses. I would appreciate a mention for their use. Enjoy:

That's pretty much it for now, hopefully within a day or so I will be back to show off my areas newly modified and the Lost Woods complete.
  • Elliott Parkinson

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: OOT2D Map Project - Minor Update
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2010, 09:37:30 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
[05:33] .TakaM: can you post this in maj's topic
[05:33] .TakaM: http://i46.tinypic.com/1ovd4o.jpg
[05:33] .TakaM: just say he can use it
[05:33] .TakaM: edit it
[05:33] .TakaM: whatever

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2010, 09:39:05 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
.TaKaM TO THE RESCUE!!!

<3 ^_^

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2010, 10:09:47 am »

There is however a very big flaw with this house. It still has the shadow on the ground that the tree casts with his canopy. However as there is no canopy there shouldnot be a shadow either. The houses in LttP only have a shadow to the right side and at door entrances.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 10:19:02 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I don't think lttp has ever had even the slightest bit of realism in either the perspective or layout of anything in the entire game :P I think TakaM is skilled enough to make a design that fits with lttp's overall visual scheme; and that is probably the most important thing to do when making graphics for lttp. Lttp is filled with design flaws, and fan-graphics should emulate what lttp has set as it's standard.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:23:03 am by Mamoruアニメ »
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 04:07:22 pm »
Mammy, I know that. But lttp is consistent with its flaws. And the flaws for what TakaM made was for a tree. The flaws it should have are from a house. And I don't see those flaws.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 04:38:45 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
Mammy, I know that. But lttp is consistent with its flaws. And the flaws for what TakaM made was for a tree. The flaws it should have are from a house. And I don't see those flaws.

I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 05:37:24 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君

There is however a very big flaw with this house. It still has the shadow on the ground that the tree casts with his canopy. However as there is no canopy there shouldnot be a shadow either. The houses in LttP only have a shadow to the right side and at door entrances.

It is consistent with A Link to the Past.  The witches hut in LttP (a treehouse) has a full shadow,
also this:

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 06:19:24 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
That's what I was thinking when I read that.

Also, is your name in Arabic or something now, Shefali?

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2010, 07:16:43 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
It's Devanāgarī, which is an alphabet used in India and Nepal.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 04:28:04 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

No no no leave the graphics to the graphics people >;o

Shefali's examples are spot on.
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 08:21:36 pm »
Well, I dunno if you need them but it could help :

(Not lttp palett !).

EDIT : I have to finish this  >:(
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:24:26 pm by Calvein »
  • The Legend of Zelda : Return to Hyrule...The french web-site

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 08:37:48 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I greatly dislike merging lttp tiles with MC tiles :x They don't go well together at all
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2010, 04:40:14 pm »
I would suggest using the original ALttP tiles as much as possible. Merging anything from MC and such just makes it look too mixed and less official.

The original ALttP trees are not that bad..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 78 queries.