Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

What kind of project do you want to see as the next CP?

Tandem "GM Universal Zelda Engine" development and a game that uses it.
- 9 (23.1%)
Some form of an online zelda game.
- 4 (10.3%)
Ressurection of OOT2D or a similar 2D conversion.
- 6 (15.4%)
Recreation of a previous game? LTTP? OOS? OOA?
- 7 (17.9%)
Development of a zelda project / engine in an "advanced" language (C#, C++, etc) for teaching.
- 4 (10.3%)
Generic zelda game with a unique storyline.
- 9 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: March 18, 2009, 09:35:37 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Community Project Redesign  (Read 20085 times)

Re: Community Project Redesign
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2009, 06:49:57 pm »
Who decided on Seasons and Ages? Or am I getting the wrong impression. That password system will be like hell. I would rather do a 2d version of The Wind Waker or Phantom Hourglass. But we shall see what will arise.
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2009, 07:10:54 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Wait wait..Jeod, when the hell did we decide on Seasons and Ages?

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

gm112

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2009, 07:16:11 pm »
The only thing close to the Oracle of Seasons is Hoffy's remapping of it, which I personally talked him and he said he's only doing it for the fun of it since he enjoys mapping. But that's NOWHERE close to the community project. Nobody in this topic or the other topic mentioned us redoing OoS. It's a good idea, but you posted it as if you were the one making decisions here. Only the staff right now can decide what's going to happen with this.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2009, 07:37:04 pm »
No, no...4Sword mentioned it before stating that remaking a game would be a good idea. I took Link's Awakening already, and I believe he had a reason for wanting to work with gameboy Zeldas.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2009, 07:45:20 pm »
I was just giving examples of what would be easy to remake in the Minish Cap style. Some of the characters found in the Oracle games (e.g. Nayru and Din) can be found in the Minish Cap. Otherwise, Wind Waker and the Minish Cap are also somewhat similar so Wind Maker might be a possibility - Faceless has some nice custom item images made and .TakaM at one point had made the King of the Red Lions.

I am just speaking the obvious really, if you do a Zelda game that is too early in the series, the remakes will look empty and there won't be that much to work with. If you go too late, remaking it might be difficult. I could have also mentioned Ocarina of Time, but remaking that would get grobbled at, and Majora's Mask may have been too difficult with all the transformations and non-repeated characters that don't appear in the Minish Cap.

I have not fully insisted on doing the Oracle games though. The game is something that will be decided by what the most people are comfortable with doing.

Jeod

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2009, 07:47:44 pm »
I can think of quite a few from MM that appear in MC. The carpenters, the Deku Scrubs, Malon...
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2009, 07:52:02 pm »
Meh, whatever, I was thinking it over quickly - I haven't played it in a while.
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2009, 08:48:53 pm »
Maybe a poll could be usefull to see what the community is interested in. If so I nominate The Wind Waker.
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2009, 08:57:53 pm »
I agree with the whole poll idea, some of these games I have never played.
  • Pyxosoft
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2009, 09:31:26 pm »
Alrighty. I'll add a poll. Feel free to post suggests to add to the poll.
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2009, 09:42:37 pm »
WW would be fantastic, but the sea would be too empty in 2D, except for the places where it would be crowded (I'm thinking of the Peahats near the Boating Course).  Also, a lot of aspects of WW rely extensively on 3D, much more so than the 64 games.  Right in the beginning of the game, you have to look around with the Telescope to see the giant bird.
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2009, 09:48:52 pm »
I thought it was going to be a remake of an existing Zelda game. But this poll can do also.

Nabeshin: some of the obligatory telescope action can be done with the background and sprite animation. The other telescope actions are more troublesome, but creativity is also an aspect to obtain experience in. Other 3d action can also be worked around.
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2009, 09:56:52 pm »
I think that if it were Wind Waker the telescope could be done through a view effect. Essentially you would only be able to "see" further than your current view in just a conical region.

Jeod

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2009, 10:07:34 pm »
I'm open to assist with anything that's chosen. However, if I had to weigh the options, here's what my report would look like:

Ocarina of Time 2D
Already in the works, and looking good.

Majora's Mask 2D
This game would be ok to make as long as we plan well enough for it. It would be easy to recreate the world in MC style, with some obvious edits concering velocity and 3D aspects.

Wind Waker 2D
This would be very hard to do, since a lot of the game was made for a 3D environment. Also, in 2D, it would look very bland. Think of the great sea. Most of the map would be just water.

Oracle of Seasons and Ages
This is another fairly simple option. The only difficult parts would be the password system and ring system. The password system might be able to be substituted by just making the two Game Maker exe files "read" from eachother.

Thematic Engine
By far the easiest thing to do, but it might get boring if there wasn't a game to go with it.

Original Game
This would be difficult to set up and work on properly unless everyone can cooperate, but it would give more freedom of development. I'm okay with this as long as the story doesn't go out of proportion.

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2009, 10:15:14 pm »
I'm thinking of some good 3D workarounds for WW, but flying as a seagull strikes me as something that would be hard to accomplish.

If we do a 3D remake, my vote is for MM, but Pinnacle Rock comes to mind, which would be very difficult perspectively.  Also, several bosses need you to look or shoot at the ceiling of a room.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:18:24 pm by Nabeshin »
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2009, 10:29:13 pm »
I guess you are right about that, there are 3D obstacles that might be a little challenging to translate into 2D - it is not that bad though once you think about the transition from a 2D perspective in way that you aren't trying to directly copy the functionality over. But yeah, Dragonroost island might be a little odd since you wouldn't be able to go around it; it would have to be laid/spread out horizontally and a little bit vertically.

If one wants to avoid any of those challenges though if they are not up to it, revamping one of the Gameboy games would be the easiest thing to do.

Jeod

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2009, 10:31:16 pm »
That or an original concept. MM is still open to me though. I don't think it would be that hard to do. Definitely easier than WW.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2009, 10:39:16 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Honestly, I think the only real appropriate "community project" would be an SDK, or some kind of Zelda GM thats open ended enough to let users code their own !@#$%... Otherwise I don't really see a CP being successful :(
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2009, 10:41:19 pm »
Personally, I think that we should stay clear of an original concept because then the project would run into issues like plot, story line, etc. If it were just a revamp, all of that would be avoided. Original type games tend to introduce new mechanisms which would not be used primarily in the engine part of the community project while doing a revamp would contain many of the mechanisms in the engine.

Also, in my opinion, having it an open source Game Maker revamp is the easiest thing to do and thus it has the largest chance of being successful.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2009, 10:42:57 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Personally, I think that we should stay clear of an original concept because then the project would run into issues like plot, story line, etc. If it were just a revamp, all of that would be avoided. Original type games tend to introduce new mechanisms which would not be used primarily in the engine part of the community project while doing a revamp would contain many of the mechanisms in the engine.

It also requires someone capable enough to make a *proper* engine :p A lot of people just code things as needed, instead of planning ahead and properly developing their source :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 79 queries.