Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Zelda Future  (Read 18288 times)

Zelda Future
« on: August 25, 2008, 04:14:14 am »

I'm sure it's not hard to put together that Zelda Future is a Zelda game set in the future.  Something that might've popped into your head is the image of Link, riding a motorcycle with the word EPONA branded on the side, blasting wildly into the dark night air with his assault rifle, littering the ground with gore as Ganon collapses from his wounds - and at the last moment, the missile launch sequence is stopped, and Link has saved Hyrule from nuclear winter.

Well, unless that brief narrative sounded appealing to you, you are in luck.  That is absolutely not what this game is going to be.  You can certainly look forward to more than a few technological advances in the land of Hyrule, but at the end of the day, this is still the Hyrule you remember.

This project has been a few years in the works, and has probably been on paper since 2005; that said, the majority of those few years saw little to no work.  Now that I suddenly have a team of five people, it's fair to say a little more is getting done. This seemed like as good a time as any to bring the project to a few more ears, so here I am.

It's being created in GM, in Minish Cap style, however edited and future-y it may be.  No screens yet, due to lack of tiling, but I'll work up a title screen, menu shot and other HUD stuff in the next little while.

Mainly, the purpose of this thread is to gauge fan reaction to the concept, which since its inception has been somewhat negative, particularly when it was all brought to light during that period with the April Fool's video of a futuristic Zelda.  I'd like to go out of the way to separate this project from that if I can; this project isn't about milking a technological Hyrule, it's about providing a satisfactory conceptual ending for the series.  That said, I'm sure you'll excuse the occasional gratuitous technology along the way.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:55:58 pm by Nabeshin »

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
Re: Zelda Future
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 04:42:28 am »
!@#$% awesome.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 05:08:36 am »
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:33:53 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
Yeah, sounds pretty good. You certainly know how to generate hype.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 05:52:42 am »
Why thank you.  And I didn't even throw in any plot teasers.  XD

I'm new to the boards, obviously.  I just wanted to say, though, that the community project is looking wonderful.  Really inspiring, especially when I stumbled into the Wiki and saw the Ganondorf and Farin concepts, which look absolutely fantastic.  Kudos to whoever's responsible for that, and I can't wait to sink my teeth into that game.

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 06:17:18 am »
  • Bitte Scheiße
!@#$% awesome.

Also, stolen from the April Fools thing olo
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 06:55:01 am »
Why thank you.  And I didn't even throw in any plot teasers.  XD

I'm new to the boards, obviously.  I just wanted to say, though, that the community project is looking wonderful.  Really inspiring, especially when I stumbled into the Wiki and saw the Ganondorf and Farin concepts, which look absolutely fantastic.  Kudos to whoever's responsible for that, and I can't wait to sink my teeth into that game.
If we ever get there, scooter and myself are trying to create some order for it at the moment.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 05:29:50 pm »
Here is the first HUD concept.  Note that the buttons at the right side aren't in the proper palette yet (MC), they're just there so that we can get a feel for the style.  I'll edit in a while with a proper palette swap.

Edit: Here is draft #2.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 10:21:19 pm by Nabeshin »
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 11:46:49 pm »
Zelda Future and you fight with a sword? Concept sounds good, but ditch that old-fashioned blade. Give Link a gun.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 11:48:10 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Zelda Future and you fight with a sword? Concept sounds good, but ditch that old-fashioned blade. Give Link a gun.

Heck, make it a FPS too <_<;;

Anyway o.o...

A futuristic zelda sounds good in *theory*; but I highly doubt it would translate well to a game :P Fanfic maybe, but game :s I dunno... I'm skeptical to say the least
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 11:49:05 pm »

Because action RPGs cant have guns.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 11:53:27 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.

The point is that you're stripping core elements from Zelda that *make* the game what it is :P... From a development standpoint, it's miserably impractical. Again, fanfic material 100%; game material... no... Just does not translate well.
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 11:56:23 pm »

The point is that you're stripping core elements from Zelda that *make* the game what it is :P... From a development standpoint, it's miserably impractical. Again, fanfic material 100%; game material... no... Just does not translate well.

Right, so in the next Zelda game we plan to see innovations like element themed dungeons and pushing around a block puzzles. Nintendo needs to start trying new things. Sure, the same thing might keep bringing in the dough, but eventually it's going to get boring. The Zelda series needs to do something innovative to pick the series back up. And fanfic material translates great to fangame material most of the time.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 12:00:34 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

Right, so in the next Zelda game we plan to see innovations like element themed dungeons and pushing around a block puzzles. Nintendo needs to start trying new things. Sure, the same thing might keep bringing in the dough, but eventually it's going to get boring. The Zelda series needs to do something innovative to pick the series back up. And fanfic material translates great to fangame material most of the time.

Oh but you forget one key thing here. This isn't Nintendo.

And you're horribly mistaken about fanfic material. Most fanfics are god awful and poorly written. This is why Nintendo handles their game stories, not fans. Nintendo also completes 90% of their projects (for the record), and they know better than to pull a game too far from it's element. You want innovation for a zelda game? Cel-shade it. That's your level of innovation.

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 12:11:34 am »
Celshading isn't much innovation. It's a nice touch, a step in the right direction. But in the 'timeline' of flooded Hyrule, the pirates should at least be given pistols and rifles. I can just imagine Niko holding a small revolver at his waist. It'd be awesome. I suppose it shouldn't replace the sword, heavens no. But the bow and arrow, yes.

And yes, fan-fic sucks. So do a lot of fan-games. They fit perfectly. Nintendo should be innovative, but if they are too stuck up too, then fan-games should be.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 12:12:25 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Celshading isn't much innovation.

<_< you completely missed my point with that...

I was saying *thats as much innovation you're going to get officially from Nintendo for the series* :P
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 12:14:13 am »
Celshading isn't much innovation.

<_< you completely missed my point with that...

I was saying *thats as much innovation you're going to get officially from Nintendo for the series* :P

I got the point, I'm just saying it's not much, and I know Nintendo won't do more than that. But they should.
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 12:14:33 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
Of course, I expect that the next Zelda game will use the Motion Plus for kick-ass 1:1 swordfighting. And it will be good. :)
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 08:35:02 pm »
Guys, as much as I appreciate you keeping my topic bumped, please try to limit the extra chat just a bit. Could someone give me some kind of crit on the HUD from page one, and also of this first-draft Link:

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 10:41:30 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
Mammy, you do realize that guns and cars don't have to be part of the equation when you think futuristic, don't you? If Zelda did get a futuristic upgrade, I'm sure it'll be more Final Fantasy-esque than anything.

Anyway, looking good, man. It's nice to see that someone has the rocks to give this type of game a try. Oh, in regards to the HUD, I think you should keep the angled hearts from the first mock-up. It looks better.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 75 queries.