Projects > Other Projects

Horn of Balance

<< < (2/333) > >>

Xfixium:
This demo shows promise. The engine has a solid feel to it. The enemy AI is very close or spot on in it's behavior. Link's movement and collisions are done in detail. For it being your second attempt it's commendable!

As for bugs, I also experienced the same slow down when transitioning. I don't know how it was done, but maybe checking the vertical sync check box in the Global Game Settings might help if it wasn't done. When I pressed the map button, I was able to hear the dungeon map open sound but it didn't show visually, when I was outside the dungeon. I know this option is probably not done all the way, but when changing Link's suit colors to the last one, his facing gets stuck in one position.

Overall it's nicely done, and will spawn an excellent game if it continues in the direction it is currently going.

Zaeranos:

--- Quote from: Martijn dh on March 21, 2009, 03:32:15 pm ---Thanks for the reply.

Somebody made the same remark on the transitions on a different forum and I'm glad you did the same. It means my work to fix it is meaningfull. I'm guessing the problem occurs only on some computers. Would you mind me sending you a link to a newer demo in a couple of days? To check if my solution works on your end.

--- End quote ---

Off course, I'd love to.

--- Quote from: Martijn dh on March 21, 2009, 03:32:15 pm ---The roots of the trees are a result of my laziness with the outside area. The outside area will be completely redone when the dungeon is finished, so I didn't put a lot of time in it. I've already moved the movement borders in the next demo.

--- End quote ---

If you draw the tree (trunks) on the background and put the tree tops on the foreground, you won't have this problem. In other words the Z depth of the trunks and the tops have to be different and Link has to be in between them.

--- Quote from: Martijn dh on March 21, 2009, 03:32:15 pm ---Could you give me a little bit more information about the music with the stairs? I'm guessing you don't mean the stairs in between the rooms. Did it sound out of sync? Was the sound incorrect? Or was it maybe something else?

--- End quote ---

It is not that is out of sync, but more that it just doesn't sound like stairs. It sounds more like someone quickly trying to clean a dirt road with a straw broom.

Martijn dh:
Xfixium:
Excellent response. I'm glad you liked it.
The function you found isn't really part of the game. I use that for testing.
The problems with the transitions are probably because every room in the game is an actual separate room in gamemaker. So you have the illusion that all rooms are connected and the bare minimum of objects/background is active at one time. It seemed fine, but clearly isn't so I'm now recreating the entire dungeon in a single room. So far the gamespeed isn't suffering (on my computer at least).

Niek:
In the demo I'll send you you'll see I'm already making a lot of use of depths. Still, thank you for your willingness to help. I can see if the timing of the sounds can be improved, but other than that there's little I can do.

kremling:
Nice job making this engine. Works really well.

Zaeranos:
Martijn, if your worried about gamespeed and the amount of resources in CPU. There is a function in Gamemaker, that disables all the instances outside a certain boundary (most of the time the view with a margin).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Go to full version