Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Practicing Spriting.  (Read 3143 times)

Practicing Spriting.
« on: December 19, 2013, 03:41:26 am »
Hello all, i am in the midst of designing my game and looking for a spriter is very hard to get exactly what i want or even finding one do do something. so i though okay, im not awful at spriting, and i can usually edit existing sprites to get something workable. But i never was good at just making a 100% custom sprite, and i want to practice. So a couple of the things i had was a beam from the wizzrobe wand, and the redead from oot. C+C please, as they both look pretty shitty to me and i want to learn some stuff to make it better.

EDIT: i made the fairy fountain from oot, tell me what you think!
Show content

EDIT:
Im going to work on the other directions of the redead. what do you think?

EDIT AGAIN:
Bump. I made The ocarina pad from OOT, although i made it a little more ornamental. i dont really like the ocarina portion. it was based off of the beta pad and then this drawing:
Drawing:
Show content

New Sprite:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:55:46 pm by Whitay »
Re: Practicing Spriting.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:53:49 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I'm not sure what's wrong, but I don't see any sprites in your post..? I tried refreshing the page and clearing my cache. I noticed that neike60's posted graphics often don't show up for me unless I refresh the page (which is really odd), but that's not the case here, I'm seeing nothing, no matter what.

So all I can give right now are two really useful tutorials:
http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/42648699708/pixel-art-tutorial
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

Knowing the information in those tutorials will save a lot of time. Without the proper knowledge, it's basically a guessing game until you get a sprite to look like you want. But when you come at spriting with the "how" and "why" answers, you get better sprites and you make them faster, and if there is a problem, you can discern what it is and proceed to fix it, rather than just wonder why it doesn't look good and aimlessly modify the sprite in hopes to make it look better.
  • My Music
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 12:56:28 pm »
They have shown up on various computers for me but once im home ill double check it. And thank you for the tutorials, ill have a look at those soon.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 06:33:03 pm »
Bump, i added a new project from me, tell me what you think!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 09:49:06 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
EDIT: i made the fairy fountain from oot, tell me what you think!
Show content

I think it looks pretty nice actually. I do think the diagonal parts of the sparkling walls should not be jagged, and that should help with the perspective looking right, but besides that, it looks good to me. Nice work! :)
  • My Music
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 01:25:14 am »
What do you mean by not jagged? Like full blocks or still cut in half but not cut at an exact line. But thank you!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 08:00:04 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
It may or may not have been a good suggestion... I attached a pic that should fairly clearly show you what I meant. I made the white part of the wall to actually show what I meant, and the red lines show all of the places I was thinking it would need it (saved me time that way). I did mess up on it though, because I was in a hurry. The two bottom parts should not have straight lines the whole way because the wall isn't formed that way.

I say it may or may not have been a good suggestion because there has always been a bit of an oddity with perspectives in 2D Zelda games which appears in certain houses and/or dungeons. For example, sometimes bookcases against walls don't actually look correct when the view of the area is taken as a whole, but that's just the way it is (there are reasons why it's done this way). It's something that has always bothered me a bit, but it's even in the official 2D Zelda games, even MC, so maybe it's not something to worry about. I tend to be very picky when it comes to perspectives and consistency, which is funny, because that's why I find 3D modeling easier than spriting for games like Zelda, because perspective is taken care of by the camera rather than drawing things in a certain perspective. If I draw something and the perspective is just a little bit odd, it will bother me and I won't use the sprite in anything. So perhaps it's just me. It really is nice looking.
  • My Music
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 05:37:12 pm »
Ahh i see what you mean, i was struggling with perspective a bit so soon i will give that a try and see how it looks!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 08:10:55 pm »
Bump, added some more directions that i will do for the redead.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 11:54:54 pm »
Bump. I made The ocarina pad from OOT, although i made it a little more ornamental. i dont really like the ocarina portion. it was based off of the beta pad and then this drawing:
Drawing:
Show content

New Sprite:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 57 queries.

anything