Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Official Sign Up Topic  (Read 11270 times)

Official Sign Up Topic
« on: April 04, 2007, 12:37:31 am »
  • Kyon-kun, denwa!
This is the official Sign Up Topic. There Are 24 slots available. Look at this message to catch up on who's entered.

I require one thing. PM me if you sign up, with the Topic: Sprite Comp Sign-Up and tell me which Bracket you wish to enter, in the PM.

You can discuss the competition here and if you sign up or whatever, but I NEED the PM if u want to enter due to how much volume this thread might get and my job duties at my work keeping me from not being able to monitor this topic 24/7.

Bracket 1: Beginner (Game Boy Style or NES Style Sprites [doesnt have to be Zelda]):
Moldrill
shadow-of-a-hero
Sir Cyrus
Ricky
Takuthehedgehog
darklink45
xMurrCattx
InvaderLupus
Slots Available: [Closed]

Bracket 2: Intermediate (ALTTP Style Sprites or Fire Emblem Style Sprites):
Bludleef
sirkildar
Moldorma
Bboy94
Corniune
imfletcher
Kevin-1990
TheKrillr

Bracket 3: Advanced (MC/FS/FSA Style or Freestyle Sprites):
Q.K.
Domo
TomPel
Kame
Devy
Kren
Calvein
Deku_stick

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 10:09:09 pm by ArcticFerret »

"You gave us up for warcraft!?" -Comrade Kesha
Re: Official Sign Up Topic
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 02:52:43 am »
Me for the GB styled comp! Kthxpoop.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 03:15:38 am »
... I just returned from my auto ban to enter this comp <.< but im disapointed that  there is style restriction...
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 03:41:51 am »
Hmm...

I require one thing. PM me if you sign up, with the Topic: Sprite Comp Sign-Up and tell me which Bracket you wish to enter, in the PM.

You can discuss the competition here and if you sign up or whatever, but I NEED the PM if u want to enter due to how much volume this thread might get and my job duties at my work keeping me from not being able to monitor this topic 24/7.

Hehe. Helps to read that y'know.

This sounds really cool Tara, I love the fact that you offer a cash reward, that will surely get people spriting again. But I was thinking. Whats up with the bracket logic? You said you will have three brackets right? First off all, how come each bracket has to be limited to the particular style? So a beginner has to do GB sprites, even though maybe they are better with FS or LTTP? I dunno about all that but my main thing was how you said at the end when a winner from each bracket has been chosen they will all face off for the prize money. So the beginner spriters got to go against the top spriters around here like Takam, DJ, Faceless, TomPel, etc? (if they happen to enter) I realize it's hard to fandangle with all these brackets and an actual cash prize. But rather then having all three of them face eachother for the top prize, and a second and third place prize, why not just have a smaller top prize and make it the same in each bracket for the first place sprite (maybe a bit more for advanced) and then not worry about giving out cash for second and third place (as lame as that might sound I only suggest it because otherwise if you divided the money up between 6 people the cash prize would be small, or else otherwise cost you far too much.

... I just returned from my auto ban to enter this comp <.< but im disapointed that  there is style restriction...
Yeah that was my first point kind of. I understand the reasoning behind putting out specific restrictions because it is a competition and it makes a challenge. But I really have a hard time making up my mind on this competition. The money is a really cool incentive for sure. But I have never really been one to do specific styles. I am not a huge fan of doing GB graphics, never even done one before. I don't much like the literal LTTP style. I like the way it was slightly changed in Daniels game so it didn't quite have that same exact look. And I have no clue about FS or MC as Ive never even played any of those. These restrictions make me so uneasy about committing to something like this. When I first seen the topic I was stoked to do something really big and spend so much time on it, but I was very turned off when I seen Id have to commit to these certain restrictions in styles, and Id have to make it fit the style. That means certain black outlines, or undefined/un-detailed pixelwork, Ive really been motivated to get back into pixeling lately but After taking lots of tutorials and visiting places like pixelation forums and pixeljoint. The same old spriting a certain style from these games just doesn't appeal to me so much anymore. Ive learned new techniques for coloring, shading, animating, making my lines and details and using colors effectively. All that pretty much goes out the window when I am forced into these limitations. I would love to be able to just go free for all.
You know? Rather then having three styles to choose from. Make some different restrictions like color limits, pallets, size, animation frames (if any at all) and then just either give like three options in each level bracket that they can sprite in any style or way (under those limitations) or else just sprite anything Zelda related under those restrictions with no level separation, and just have everybody go free for all in one giant bracket not separated by skill (not like it would matter anyways since they all have to compete against eachother in the end.

I don't know, it's not a big deal, and I wouldn't try to argue with you at all about how it should be. I am very grateful that you are bringing a competition like this to the community and I'm more then happy with however you choose to do it. I just wanted to put that out there.
We may be human. But we're still animals.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 03:49:36 am »
Hmm...

Hehe. Helps to read that y'know.

This sounds really cool Tara, I love the fact that you offer a cash reward, that will surely get people spriting again. But I was thinking. Whats up with the bracket logic? You said you will have three brackets right? First off all, how come each bracket has to be limited to the particular style? So a beginner has to do GB sprites, even though maybe they are better with FS or LTTP? I dunno about all that but my main thing was how you said at the end when a winner from each bracket has been chosen they will all face off for the prize money. So the beginner spriters got to go against the top spriters around here like Takam, DJ, Faceless, TomPel, etc? (if they happen to enter) I realize it's hard to fandangle with all these brackets and an actual cash prize. But rather then having all three of them face eachother for the top prize, and a second and third place prize, why not just have a smaller top prize and make it the same in each bracket for the first place sprite (maybe a bit more for advanced) and then not worry about giving out cash for second and third place (as lame as that might sound I only suggest it because otherwise if you divided the money up between 6 people the cash prize would be small, or else otherwise cost you far too much.

Yeah that was my first point kind of. I understand the reasoning behind putting out specific restrictions because it is a competition and it makes a challenge. But I really have a hard time making up my mind on this competition. The money is a really cool incentive for sure. But I have never really been one to do specific styles. I am not a huge fan of doing GB graphics, never even done one before. I don't much like the literal LTTP style. I like the way it was slightly changed in Daniels game so it didn't quite have that same exact look. And I have no clue about FS or MC as Ive never even played any of those. These restrictions make me so uneasy about committing to something like this. When I first seen the topic I was stoked to do something really big and spend so much time on it, but I was very turned off when I seen Id have to commit to these certain restrictions in styles, and Id have to make it fit the style. That means certain black outlines, or undefined/un-detailed pixelwork, Ive really been motivated to get back into pixeling lately but After taking lots of tutorials and visiting places like pixelation forums and pixeljoint. The same old spriting a certain style from these games just doesn't appeal to me so much anymore. Ive learned new techniques for coloring, shading, animating, making my lines and details and using colors effectively. All that pretty much goes out the window when I am forced into these limitations. I would love to be able to just go free for all.
You know? Rather then having three styles to choose from. Make some different restrictions like color limits, pallets, size, animation frames (if any at all) and then just either give like three options in each level bracket that they can sprite in any style or way (under those limitations) or else just sprite anything Zelda related under those restrictions with no level separation, and just have everybody go free for all in one giant bracket not separated by skill (not like it would matter anyways since they all have to compete against eachother in the end.

I don't know, it's not a big deal, and I wouldn't try to argue with you at all about how it should be. I am very grateful that you are bringing a competition like this to the community and I'm more then happy with however you choose to do it. I just wanted to put that out there.
agree in all, I prefer size, tile, and colour restriction than style restriction. It would be better if each bracket have different restriction, so Bracket 1: will just have tile restriction, bracket two will have tile and colour restriction and so on. I think the brackets just separates styles, not difficulty, if im wrong then there is no need to separate them in brackets. also, I find GB style harder to sprite because of the restrictions. and MC easier for having less restrictions.

TheKrillr

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 05:44:48 am »
This is the official Sign Up Topic. There Are 24 slots available. Look at this message to catch up on who's entered.

Bracket 1: Beginner (Game Boy Style or NES Style Sprites [doesnt have to be Zelda]):
Slots Available: 8

Bludleef
sirkildar
Slots Available: 6

Q.K.
Slots Available: 7

You can begin signing up and posting now and you have until April 17th to sign up.

Dude, ditch the style restrictions. ESPECIALLY on beginner. We beginners/newbs will have a hard enough time just making the sprite, let alone conforming to a style.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 11:44:51 am »
  • A little Alive
i'll enter in Bracket 2
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 01:27:09 pm »
  • :3
i want to join but I'm not sure which group i belong to :( but i don't like restrictions so i sigh up for advanced free style !!!!!
  • daniel-kun
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 02:04:32 pm »
umm

why not just have a GB+NES bracket, a LTTP+FE bracket and a MC+FS/A bracket?
seems stupid to assign classes to each style
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 02:06:16 pm »
  • [sic]
umm

why not just have a GB+NES bracket, a LTTP+FE bracket and a MC+FS/A bracket?
seems stupid to assign classes to each style
..or stupid to assign styles to each class.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 04:46:31 pm »
  • ..Goodbye..
Meh, I haven't done a sprite competition in a while...bracket 3 for me.
Helios did it.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 05:35:06 pm »
  • [sic]
PM :P
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 07:00:11 pm »
Bracket 1! ;) NES for me.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 08:54:12 pm by Moldrill »

Devy

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 07:55:37 pm »
serious cash?? umm i dont need that thanks (donta have paypal ... )

whatever check your inbox :P
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 08:13:13 pm »
  • I murder your toys as well
I'm in for beginner

This user is on indefinite hiatus.
  • Facebook - Jeremy Elliott
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 09:21:11 pm »
Please sign me up on Beginner. I'll send you a PM right away.
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 11:26:29 pm »
 "Freestyle Sprites"
as in.. a new style :D if so i will join.
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 04:21:34 am »
Did any of you guys see the parts of her post where she specifically said you have to PM her to join the contest? Don't be shocked if the contest fills up and you are not on the list, because she clearly stated how she wanted this to work.

Seems like nobody is actually listening to that one simple request. Its kind of pathetic actually lol. Her post wasn't even that long, and it was one of the first things she said. In fact she said it more then once. How will you guys survive our in the world when you grow up and have to run errands for your employer and such?

:P
We may be human. But we're still animals.
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 04:33:45 am »
Did any of you guys see the parts of her post where she specifically said you have to PM her to join the contest? Don't be shocked if the contest fills up and you are not on the list, because she clearly stated how she wanted this to work.

Seems like nobody is actually listening to that one simple request. Its kind of pathetic actually lol. Her post wasn't even that long, and it was one of the first things she said. In fact she said it more then once. How will you guys survive our in the world when you grow up and have to run errands for your employer and such?

:P
Skully: I am not that stupid.. pm'd a minute after my post. Dunno why Tara hasn't added me.
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 04:53:35 am »
  • Kyon-kun, denwa!

Moldrill
Slots Available: 7

Bludleef
sirkildar
Moldorma
Bboy94
Slots Available: 4

Q.K.
Domo
TomPel
Kame
Devy
Kren
Calvein
Slots Available: 1

12 spots left.

"You gave us up for warcraft!?" -Comrade Kesha
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 76 queries.

anything