Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Afluent in Game Maker?  (Read 3305 times)

Afluent in Game Maker?
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:16:33 pm »
Prior to the launch of the boards pertaining to the new Community Project, the structure of those maintaining and primarily helping out on the Minish Cap engine for it needs to be somewhat finalized. Those doing this would need to know how to program/script in Game Maker.

So, if you want to help out with the initial setup, reply to this news item/topic with an example of something substantial you have done in Game Maker - already having worked with the Minish Cap style as well would also be beneficial.
Re: Afluent in Game Maker?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:03:38 pm »
I'm not exactly a fantastic Game Maker programmer, but I'm improving fast. I'm ashamed to admit, a few months ago I was actually asking someone how to check for the position of an object in GML. But as I said, I'm improving rapidly.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 08:53:10 pm »
I know, I was the person doing a lot of the answering, but asking a question is nothing to be ashamed about if the one asking it is trying to learn from asking the question - i.e. people who ask questions solely for the answer all the time are not better off for it.

The main point of this news item/topic is to get those most capable to help out with the standardization and "root" of the engine. It is not as if these will be the only people working on it, not at all. However, to get things rolling, those who know how to do things well will be given first access. They may also be staying around to help coordinate the stable releases; if everyone was doing this, it would be too chaotic.

So, again if anything was lost in that word-hell of paragraph, this is kind of for the coding head honchos. Others will be able to work at a meaningful level later.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:03:59 pm »
I know, I was the person doing a lot of the answering.

Lol, oops, now I feel dumb.  :P I was actually just looking at the file with your name on it, too, so I guess I just had a bit of a brain fart.

The main point of this news item/topic is to get those most capable to help out with the standardization and "root" of the engine. It is not as if these will be the only people working on it, not at all. However, to get things rolling, those who know how to do things well will be given first access.

Oh, I see, that makes sense.  XD
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 09:12:13 pm »
Well, I'm not going to sit here and say I'm the most fantastic GM programmer, but I used to work on a LA project of my own as many here know. However, I think I can be plugged into this situation and get things done.

I'd like to note that I have messed with GM for about 5 months total between all my c#, DirectX, OpenGL studies. So, I won't know every popular technique amongst the veteran users. The code I offer is my take on Zelda GML programming, and in no way the most optimized. I am pretty clean and organized programmer, and I comment the hell out of my code.

Example Project Downloads:

http://www.pyxosoft.com/downloads/links_awakening_wip.zip
http://www.pyxosoft.com/downloads/ocarina_of_time_2d.zip
http://www.pyxosoft.com/downloads/ocarina_of_time_2d_bin.zip

They all have various control differences and glitches that weren't addressed, but you'll get the idea. I offered the binary of OOT2D just to show some other things I didn't do with the source. The most updated versions of these projects got wiped off my crashed external, and I haven't really picked them up since.
  • Pyxosoft
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 09:28:04 pm »
I guess I could help out when I have the time. I've been using GML for almost 3 years now, and am learning C++ relatively fast also. I usually keep my code clean, organized, commented, and functional, I'm kind of an optimization !@#$%. Anyways uh, I don't have anything to show as of now though.... I haven't been using Game Maker for about 3 months, due to losing all my Game Maker stuff in a external hard drive failure. So I'm at a loss on that part. But if you're low on people I'll gladly help out.
  • https://colbydude.com
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 10:55:15 pm »
I've stopped using GM since I learned how to use SDL on C++ (when I started ZFGCSB), but I'm still fluent in it. As I don't have the same free time I used to have 2 years ago, I won't be able to work deeply on that engine, but I'd like to help whenever the main programmers are having difficulty in a certain part of the code.

I suppose the project is open source and all the code will be available on the internet?

gm112

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 11:06:53 pm »
It's been awhile since I've done anything serious in GM, but I am decent with it. I stopped using GM when I switched to BlitzMax 3 years ago.
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 11:19:40 pm »
I am pretty fluent with GML too, don't have any of my work to show but I'll gladly help the project if I can.

D-Pad

A.K.A. Gyrowolf
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 03:06:55 am »
Looks like there's already plenty of help, but I'm somewhat of a GML user if you're seriously in need of some extra hands. I don't have any completed projects to show but I've touched on RPG, shoot-em-ups, and action adventure games a bit in the past. This is the only example I have online at the moment: Code snipplet here.

Really though, I'm just waiting for a certain job if it becomes available, but while I'm waiting I might as well put my card out there, right?
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 03:29:48 am »
This initial hiring for those working on the engine will consist of getting the "basics" for a Minish Cap engine done. This consists of Link's actions, possibly a title screen and file selection system, and possibly working out an enemy base class. I have been thinking over some of the concerns that people have been raising over how Game Maker makes it hard for multiple users to collaborate.

There is a workaround. It involves having functions made for the parts of what is most changed. This allows those working to make edits to the GML function files, save the function as GML code, and then allows others to use that code in their version of working on it if they want to. This could be actually what Mark Overmars intended that stuff to be about, and it also allows us to incorporate tools like Assembla more effectively (because the code files are just text files, differences between versions can be established easily). If it would increase the speed as well, the final version of the game could take the function code content and put it into where the function was called as well.

Anyway, again, those hired will mostly be doing the initial stuff and it is not as if those not hired will not get a chance to help out with the project. I'll likely be altering certain users permissions groups so that they can start working on that within the coming days. Once we get something stable, the GM Minish Cap Engine board will be made fully public - the MC Link's Awakening board might be opened sooner.

DeathTailsz

Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 04:48:07 am »
  • Angelic Hymn
Well, I guess I am. (Especially in the 2-D sidescrolling department)

I don't have any Zelda movement, but I do have a 2-D sidescroller that could be remapped into Zelda format.
(Check under Tutorials)

So, you want everyone to collaborate with each other and get basic Minish Cap engine, which would (hopefully) include:
Link's actions
Title Screen (Perhapes)
File Selection
and Enemy AI or "Base class"

I think this is easily said than done, but meh.

"More like Stupei Ace Defective!" - Yukari - Persona 3
  • StarFox 2D
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 06:19:13 am »
The enemy artificial intelligence is something that can be worked out later; by base class I was referring to the variables that all enemies share - life, attack strength, what happens when Link's weapon hits them, and a death animation. The artificial intelligence would probably be defined for each enemy (some enemies could have a be a child of a parent class that had similar behavior - e.g. different versions of Octoroks, Keatons/Spear Moblins).

The title screen is easy to do, the file selection is not that difficult as many of the users here have gotten something (ini files or otherwise), and Link's actions would not all be done right away. They would be added with some priority given to the actions which appear first in Link's Awakening. With the GML function updates I mentioned in my previous post, adding an action Link could do would only be include the sprites needed with GML function update.

That list of what I mentioned is not that hard to do for an initial setup; it could be worse.
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 01:36:31 am »
Anyway, this is an update so to speak. I added two people to help out with the initial stages of the engine already, and there may be more later depending on the opinions of those two already hired. Again though as I said, those brought on would be helping out with the early basics of the engine - with that made public once it gets stable in that it can be added onto without that much complication.

The Link's Awakening MC board will also likely be made public sooner than that - between the next few days and the next two weeks. Rough estimate.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 04:50:51 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
im pretty awesome at GM, lemme know if you need help
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 66 queries.

anything