Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Zelda: Modern Concept  (Read 5877 times)

Zelda: Modern Concept
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:15:43 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
MAJOR PLOT TWIST DUDE. I am not actually referring to a Zelda game set in modern times. I am instead referring to a Zelda game designed with more modern gaming conventions in mind to make something unique and enjoyable. Here are the main elements that differ this concept from current Zelda games:

OPEN WORLD
The Legend of Zelda series is just begging to be open-world. After all, the first game was, allowing you to go anywhere and do anything you wanted as long as you had the rupees and the right items.
This would be true in my game as well, save for a few world elements that would need plot-based activation (such as a hidden dungeon entrance), but there would be no specific order for the dungeons, or anything else for that matter. In addition to the main plot, side quests would be able to be accepted from NPCs. Link would keep track of these in a quest book.

MINIMAL HUD
The heads up display would be kept to a bare minimum. Hearts and Rupees, and menu screens when necessary. For the map Link would pull out a physical map and hold it close to the camera, while the game switches into first person. For the quest log Link would pull out a physical book in the same manner. Other things, such as interaction cues, would be shown hovering over the interactive object in the game world rather than on a HUD.

CONTROLS
As this would be a fan game, controls would be designed for PC like modern third person PC games. The mouse would look, left and right click would perform the primary and secondary functions of the currently equipped weapon or item. WASD would move Link, etc.
Mouse looking means you would be able to aim Link's sword to attack enemies above or below you rather than use an artificial lock-on system.

NPCS
Not a ton to say in this section, but the NPCs would be voice acted. Link, of course, would remain stoically silent, as is his character.

Yeah, those are my ideas for the time being. If you have any really good ones feel free to chime in. Also, I'd be happy to make this game, but I kinda absolutely suck at 3d art, and I admit that. So if any 3d artists are willing to go collab with me I'd love to give it a shot. (Art style in my head is somewhere in between Wind Waker's full out cartoony graphics and proportions, and the realistic style of TP. Like, realistic proportions, but with simple textures and lighting. Of course, whatever you're capable of works for me).
  • Lionfish Apps

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Zelda: Modern Concept
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:27:28 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Oh god please no Prince of Persia Zelda stuff :x

Last thing we need is Zelda dumbed down even further for the invalid gamers of this generation...
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:44:09 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Sorry, where did I mention anything Prince of Persia like? If anything I'm un-dumbing it down. There's no magic helper who catches you and saves you from dying or anything. O_o
  • Lionfish Apps

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 11:00:08 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Sorry, where did I mention anything Prince of Persia like? If anything I'm un-dumbing it down. There's no magic helper who catches you and saves you from dying or anything. O_o

Usually when I see "Modern gaming conventions" I think "set up for non-gamers to enjoy the experience as much as experienced gamers", which usually implies "no difficulty" :p I think the idea of changing something that's not broken is a horrible idea in general. All a Zelda game needs is a good plot and some challenging puzzles.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 11:02:52 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
That's not what I meant at all. Did you tl;dr me?

I meant modern as in modern good games. And I think Zelda is in dire need of change. Its not broken per-se, but it feels so stale nowadays.
  • Lionfish Apps

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 11:06:41 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
True... Here's my thoughts:

Quest book: already had it; see Bomber's Notebook from MM... so it would work already.
Open world: Yeah, basically.
HUD: At least make it auto-hide, and appear when necessary. The only thing that needs to be constant are Hearts, Magic, and possibly equipped weapons/items.
Controls: I prefer current Zelda stylings (not the DS stylus only; I'm talking like OoT on...)
NPCs: Yeah, that's what I think too.

Good ideas! I like them.

I think what he's trying to say, Mammy, is that he thinks Zelda could use some sprucing up; not to the extent of permanent easy-mode with automatic saves from dying, but various things prevalent in current adventure games that Zelda could benefit from.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:30:31 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
THE GUN
If you're feeling purist, get outta my topic. I want my Zelda game to have a damned revolver in it. You get it potentially from a dungeon, potentially from an NPC. Either way, ammo is very limited around the world. It's a six-shot, and in keeping with my minimal HUD your total ammo is displayed on the screen, but you can right-click to open or close the chamber and check how many rounds are still actually inside. Reloading is handled automatically of course. Either takes the place of the Bow and Arrow completely or exists alongside it in some way. Obviously some balancing needs to be put in place to see what a gun can do that a bow can't and vice versa.
  • Lionfish Apps

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 11:36:27 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I meant modern as in modern good games. And I think Zelda is in dire need of change. Its not broken per-se, but it feels so stale nowadays.

Stale how? They've messed changed it up every game since MM... MM became a social game, WW became a sailing game, TP was a throwback, PH/ST were novelty games... etc etc etc D:...

I think the staleness you feel is just the simple fact that they refuse to make a Zelda game that does stay true to it's roots :P

Also they've all had open worlds... Up until WW, which was more linear in structure.

Dunno, I just think people confuse the fact that there hasn't been a good Zelda game in over a decade with it needing a reboot... It just needs to not be modernized all of the time, like they've done with every installment since MM :s

If you think you can throw together a demo or something to show what ya mean it'd be neat, but yeah
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 11:49:31 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Now that you mention it I do see the older games being open-world, yeah. So the only real issue is that they haven't brought the amazing old conventions into the modern space (Zelda Wii pleeeeeeeeeeease?), and so there hasn't been a real good Zelda game in ages. But those old conventions could still be made more enjoyable with voice acting, a minimal HUD, my controls (if it was on a PC. the old controls work perfectly fine on the console), and a gun (say what you want, I think it'd be kickass). And like I said, I'd love to throw it together a bit if someone wanted to model for me. >.> I just don't have the time to commit to modeling what with my job and school and girlfriend, and I was never good at it before anyway.
  • Lionfish Apps

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 11:56:44 pm »
The ideas are good; show them in action and they'll be even better!

I agree with Mammy how they've always mixed it up a little. Look at it this way:
LoZ: Well, can't mix it up from the previous entry; it's the original!
AoL: Side-view? That's different!
LttP: Choose a name? Sidequests? Pieces of Heart? Deep storyline? Two worlds? Yeah, it's a new style!
LA: Fill-in-as-you-go OW map, portability, multiple songs for the OCARINA...
OoT: 3D! That's all that needs to be said.
MM: Masks are the main gameplay element... the Bomber's Notebook helps one remember goals.
Oracles: Linked game? Two games make one whole? SWEET!
WW: Waterworld minus Kevin Costner. Sailing now!
FS/FSA: MULTIPLAYER!
MC: FS sprites in a one-player setting... hmm... Kinstones add a nice sidequest, plus the enigma that is David, Jr.
TP: You turn into a wolf.
Zelda Wii: TALKING SWORD? WHERE'S CALIBURN?

Sure, there are many similarities between all Zelda games (mainly setting and core gameplay) but the extra stuff is pretty much always different in each installment. Right?

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 06:24:53 am »
Hmm, I just read through your topic. But I have to say that I read anything different, besides the gun. Everything you said in the OP is all been done. The only thing different is the graphical pooha that makes it come forth and every thing. The controls might be kinda new to Zelda, but that is mostly because it is a PC oriented fangame. In all honesty your idea is not so modern at all just a new graphical makeover.

The gun, well that might be new, except that it is nothing more than a limited version of the bow and arrow. It might look cool if it did not look out of place in a medival setting. If you would make the Zelda game in a western or later era setting it might fit in better. But like I said the gun has a lot less potential than a bow. That is why in a fps there are always several guns for different gameplay elements.

You claim to want to make something new and unique in gaming experience and yet you stay with the same old. If you really want to make something new and unique, you should not make a fangame.
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 11:00:27 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
The open world and quests have been done, but not emphasized. As far as I know the NPCs have never talked. And anyways, unless someone wants to do the models (i.e. the hard part) I'm not going anywhere with this, just kinda dropping ideas.
  • Lionfish Apps

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 11:39:27 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
LttP: Choose a name?

You could choose a name in all of them, including the first. :P
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 11:44:43 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
STEALTH
When in certain areas with human enemies (in Hyrule Castle for instance) Link will be able to avoid conflict by staying out of sight. When seen by an enemy, other enemies nearby will be alerted, and will chase after Link until he can find a safe place to hide. The music here will be split into layers, with the main track only coming in while Link is spotted.

This only applies in certain areas, and never applies to non-human enemies.

EDIT: Was playing with music for this one too, not that I got very far or that its very good:

http://www.box.net/shared/i2otn0grb9
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 12:26:52 pm »
I knew MGS gameplay was coming...
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 01:34:27 pm »
Somehow these where the first two things that came to mind when I read open world and gun:
A brothel (to turn young link into adult like, possibly also raising his magic meter) and a sidequest called "Grand Theft Epona".

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 01:46:08 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
Tfs, you be quiet. Every Zelda game has a horrible sneaking around part. Why not make it actually enjoyable? Martin, sounds awesome. ;)
  • Lionfish Apps

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 02:09:38 am »
Well there already is the stealth factor in Wind Waker...
HATE FORBIDDEN FORTRESS WITH HATE!

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 02:27:42 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
The difference though, is that in all the current Zelda stealth scenarios you are A) powerless, usually lacking a sword; and B) are forced to restart the whole scene if you're seen.
  • Lionfish Apps

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 02:30:10 am »
Yeah... but you could still sneak up behind enemies with a sword and without having to restart just for fun, right?

• Mirby Studios
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 77 queries.