Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for artist for experimental Zelda gameplay project  (Read 10260 times)

Looking for artist for experimental Zelda gamepl...
« on: April 08, 2012, 09:07:18 am »
  • Minalien
While crawling across the great Interwho, I started watching a few gameplay videos for Super Paper Mario on YouTube. While I haven't played the game itself, the three-dimensional gameplay looks like something that would be interesting to play around with from a design and development perspective.

What I'm looking for is a 2D artist capable of knocking out a small sprite sheet for Link in a Super Paper Mario graphics style for use in an experimental gameplay project. If it turns out to be entertaining enough to begin development beyond a simple gameplay experiment, I'd love to play with the idea as a full-fledged fan game - but at the very least, it would make for an interesting addition to a development portfolio for anybody involved in the experiment.

If there's anybody interested, I'm mostly looking for the following:

Link movement animations (back/front view). I'll leave it to any interested artists to decide whether or not they want to include a sword/shield.
Link attack animations to match with movement animations.
One minor enemy sheet, I'm not too concerned about the complexity of its animations.

Until I can find an artist, I'm going to push forward with the experiment using graphic rips from ALttP or MC, but I think having appropriate graphics would do much more justice to determining the feel of the gameplay.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
Re: Looking for artist for experimental Zelda ga...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:51:46 am »
Sounds interesting, hopefully you get the game off the ground min

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 12:38:05 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
This sounds interesting.  I'll try to make something for you, but I'm not very good at this sort of thing.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 01:26:18 pm »
  • Minalien
This sounds interesting.  I'll try to make something for you, but I'm not very good at this sort of thing.
Something's always better than nothing - I'd be happy to see what you can come up with. :p
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 02:07:47 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
You could start by using these, they look pretty close to the Paper Mario style : http://spriters-resource.com/custom_edited/zelda/sheet/17558

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 02:22:25 pm »
  • The Mad Programmer.
Around what size do you want Link to be?

I'll give this a try, but I can't guarantee much.
I support:
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 02:34:24 pm »
  • Minalien
Around what size do you want Link to be?

I'll give this a try, but I can't guarantee much.
With the sprites I've been playing with, I've been scaling them up to 64x64 per frame so that they look nice in Unity, but I haven't really done much to make them use the smaller sprites (which won't be hard, I should theoretically just have to scale everything in the editor down - depends on whether Unity's willing to play nicely or not). Thanks for taking a look into things. :D

You could start by using these, they look pretty close to the Paper Mario style : http://spriters-resource.com/custom_edited/zelda/sheet/17558
Those are pretty great, but they don't have the forward/back anims I'm looking for. I hadn't even thought of looking in the Custom/Edits section on TSR - I'll poke around in there, and if nobody else can come up with anything I'll try to get hold of Badassbill. Thanks, bro. :3

• Development Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 02:57:56 pm »
This is the perspective you're wanting, right?

And also from the front of course.

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 02:58:42 pm »
  • The Mad Programmer.
Well, I made something. Not really a sprite though and it's larger than you wanted. I guess it came out alright...
I support:
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 03:18:53 pm »
  • Minalien
This is the perspective you're wanting, right?

And also from the front of course.
Holy !@#$% Mitsu, that's amazing. And yeah, that's exactly the perspective I was looking for. o.o

Spirit: I'm not too concerned with the size - my system's more than capable of handling high-resolution textures, and texture optimization isn't very difficult. That looks pretty great, I love the vector-like feel of it.

• Development Blog

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 06:36:18 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Well, I made something. Not really a sprite though and it's larger than you wanted. I guess it came out alright...

I just wanted to drop by and say that this is enormously cute.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 09:56:33 pm »
I want to claim it as my avatar :3
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 10:14:40 pm »
  • The Mad Programmer.
You mean mine? If so, go ahead.

I could've made it better if my Bamboo Pen was working but my computer just sucks so much right now.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:16:37 pm by DaSpirit »
I support:
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 10:33:40 pm »
Pixels are kicking my ass right now :/  Started over.  Front walk done-ish?  I dunno if you want more than a three frame animation but that's what Paper Mario had (using PM64 sprites as reference).

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 11:46:07 pm »
  • The Mad Programmer.
Just in case you want to consider mine over Mitsu's.  XD

I could do more if you ask.
I support:
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 04:42:28 am »
  • Minalien
Back from spending time with family and such (apparently things get emotional for the rest of the family when you're about to move away again), I've finished the animation script. Thoughts?

http://minalien.com/files/Test.avi - 2.7 Mb, 3 sec. long.

• Development Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 09:25:11 pm »
I mentioned I was bad at this, right?  Progress is going really really slowly so I'll just post it here as I reach *milestones*

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:52:10 pm by Mitsu »
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 11:39:30 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
I mentioned I was bad at this, right?  Progress is going really really slowly so I'll just post it here as I reach *milestones*

Pffft....  If that is bad then my talent in this area would be considered eye gouging...  No really that is pretty good!

Just in case you want to consider mine over Mitsu's.  XD

I could do more if you ask.

And so is that!  I love both of these.  If I were making this game it would be hard for me to choose.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:41:55 pm by Aero88 »
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 11:47:22 pm »
  • Minalien

You artists and your humility. ;P

Seriously, those are brilliant. XD
I'll implement the updated Link sprites right now, and sneak in the Octorok.

Oh, by the way - you can all poke around with the current state of the experiment in the Unity Web Player at http://minalien.com/files/GameplayExperiment/.

• Development Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 12:00:59 am »
Eh...  it's hard to appreciate your own work.  And there are things about it I'm not too happy with, but when I try to change them it just makes it worse.  The limitations of pixels are quite infuriating when you're used to pencil and paper.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 74 queries.