Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phospholipid Bilayer, wrote a new song!  (Read 4918 times)

Phospholipid Bilayer, wrote a new song!
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:03:22 pm »
I thought of it while doing Biology homework, so it's dedicated to that.
http://soundcloud.com/chrisvervoort/bilayer

Let me know what you think.
Re: Phospholipid Bilayer, wrote a new song!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:59:19 am »
bump for some feedback, been a while.
also check out this cover of a Grateful Dead song, Till The Morning Comes

http://soundcloud.com/chrisvervoort/till-the-morning-comes/s-ByXtO
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 02:52:02 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Dude, it's awesomely jazzy. How many tracks did you use? Sometimes the isn't a clear distinction between the rhythm and lead tracks, and I like it. How the rhythm guitar can add into the lead solo, it's nice when the second guitar isn't relegated into holding the lead up, but they work together.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:03:11 pm »
Thanks! I'm guessing you're talking about the first song I posted, not the Dead cover, since the song I wrote is pretty jazzy. I just based it off my favorite chord, which is a very jazzy Emaj7.

It's three guitars. One just plays chords all the way through, while the other two switch between additional rhythm and soloing.

Arcaith

Landscape Police
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 04:10:41 am »
  • *ding*
These are both really nice, though the first gets a bit muddy in places. Stylistically, it reminds me a lot of some of Penguin Cafe Orchestra's acoustic works.
*MooN*
Re: Four - [New song, first time trying a drum l...
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 01:05:51 am »
The first one is a lot older, and it does get a bit rough. I think I got much better at my all-guitar ensemble layering with Till The Morning Comes.

I don't listen to much Penguin Cafe, but what I've heard is awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Figured I'd just post my new song here instead of making a new thread. Just wrote a new song to try out the drum loop on my keyboard. Using the India kit and arpeggio button I got a pretty cool loop

http://soundcloud.com/chrisvervoort/four

Not as much layering as Phospholipid or my cover of Till The Morning Comes. Tracks include the drum loop, guitar track, keyboard track, and one track of just harmonics. Tell me what ya think
Re: [Instrumental cover Grateful Dead's Unbroken...
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 06:38:21 pm »
http://soundcloud.com/chrisvervoort/unbroken-chain-grateful-dead

Just finished recording this throughout the weekend. It's a pretty long and complex song, one of my favorites for Dead in the studio. This definitely took more work than most of my covers or originals so far, so please listen! The original is here, which is more or less the same but with great vocals and less layers of guitar :P

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRbBcniI1Ao" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRbBcniI1Ao</a>

thestig

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 01:48:18 am »
Wow, very nice cover. ;p I think I like the acousticness of your version better, honestly. It seemed to fit the melody better.. or at least, I preferred listening to it in comparison to the original. ;p
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 01:14:19 am »
Thanks! I'm sure it has a lot to do with which version you hear first. Honestly the instrumental middle section jam on mine is weak compared to the crazy sound effects / constant dissonant soloing in the studio ones. I also love the vocals and lyrics so much, wish I could sing and include them. Glad you liked it :D
Re: New song (NEW, new song)
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 12:11:45 am »

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 01:52:37 am »
  • The Mad Programmer.
It was good, although at some points it started sounding a little dissonant (something I'm not really a fan of, but I know some people who like it :p). It still sounded good though. I picked up my guitar today hoping to make a master piece like you, but I just can't. You got skills and you inspire me bro. You really need to add singing next time.
I support:
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 02:11:23 am »
Thanks haha! That's a huge compliment man. I can't do the singing bit unfortunately, so it's a good thing some of my favorite music is instrumental, to listen to and create.

I do love dissonant music, although I thought this one didn't hit that too much, besides maybe the purposeful timing differences on the intro. The one I posted a while ago, Phospholipid Bilyaer, has a much more dissonant feel to it. It may also because it's just a short song that jams on one chord, rather than having a normal progression or anything linear like that.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 04:00:38 am »
  • It's just Max.
It was nice, but REAL short. Which isn't actually a bad thing for the song, just for the fact that I was planning on doing a couple chores while listening to it, and then it was over too soon!

I think you've probably mentioned it before, but what do you use to record?
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 01:54:17 pm »
Thanks, and yeah it's more like a songlet than a song. I use garageband, and I dislike all the background noise and the way it cuts out at the end, I'll get better equipment eventually
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 07:37:22 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Well, I've been using iPad's garageband app, and if you ever want to work on some song together sometime, that'd be cool. Especially as people are always saying you should add vocals into you pieces. I disagree, as it's kinda... against your style, for you to just do it regularly, but if working on pieces with vocals could be a learning experience for both of us. And it's super easy to email garageband projects, from my end at least.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 11:37:58 pm »
I'd definitely be interested, anytime you want. Never worked on a song seriously with anyone before actually. Definitely never online, sounds like it'd be fun though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 69 queries.

anything