Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gerudo Desert and Fortress  (Read 19018 times)

Gerudo Desert and Fortress
« on: June 03, 2016, 08:20:52 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
I attempted to do the Gerudo fortress with the tiles from the wind palace from minish cap. The roof and palette is from a screenshot I found of ZC.
This is just a wip, I was just messing around with the tiles to see what I could make. :P But it looks good, so if you guys like it, we can use it.
What do you guys think of this?

EDIT: I made the area surrounding the fortress. Note that this is not the desert itself, and there is still a lot of free space to put a desert area, and we also have to make the Valley of death, so both will be to the right.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:34:58 am by SpritingBrad »

Miles07

Knight of ERA
Re: Gerudo Fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 11:46:29 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
I see the pre-edited version of the Gerudo symbol on that red banner. Are we going to keep the older design, or switch to the newer one?
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 01:40:59 am »
  • It's just Max.
I like the tiles, they seem like they'll work well for the fortress. I think as far as its layout, it's pretty much right now just based on Ocarina of Time, right? I'm partially guessing since we never specify in the wiki that it's a fortress. It'd be worth it to consider how the Gerudo live, and why they live that way. Like, would they live in a big communal building like this, do we want most of this area to be inside? Or do we want a number of ramshackle buildings? And also, do we want the building to be similar to Ocarina of Time, or do we want something more original to set this game apart?

As far as the plot is concerned, anyway, we do know that we need one area to be a prison (Link gets thrown in), and elsewhere in the desert (preferably somewhere hard to get to) is the tower where the fire and ice arrows are.

Anyway, the tiles look awesome! They fit together pretty well and look like they stack well and are versatile. It's interesting how the ladders always take you up on top of the blockier parts of the walls over the pillars, it seems like it makes sense, as far as how the player would move, to not have it like that. One weird thing is that they have a lot of wooden crates, considering how there's not so many trees in the desert, but it does looks good.

As far as the symbol goes, all of the old concept art I can think of used the edited Gerudo symbol. It might also be better to just use a less detailed scrap of cloth with no symbol on it- it'd be easier to edit as blowing in the breeze too.

Good to see this area coming into being, though : )

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 04:35:06 am »
  • .越//
as i saw the wind fortress entrances i thought that you maybe want to exchange them with gerudo symbols... here a link with hyrule writing systems (gerudo is somewhere in the middle) http://www.glitterberri.com/hyrule-historia/writing-systems-of-hyrule/

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 08:48:17 am »
  • Just call me Brad
I like the tiles, they seem like they'll work well for the fortress. I think as far as its layout, it's pretty much right now just based on Ocarina of Time, right? I'm partially guessing since we never specify in the wiki that it's a fortress. It'd be worth it to consider how the Gerudo live, and why they live that way. Like, would they live in a big communal building like this, do we want most of this area to be inside? Or do we want a number of ramshackle buildings? And also, do we want the building to be similar to Ocarina of Time, or do we want something more original to set this game apart?

As far as the plot is concerned, anyway, we do know that we need one area to be a prison (Link gets thrown in), and elsewhere in the desert (preferably somewhere hard to get to) is the tower where the fire and ice arrows are.

Anyway, the tiles look awesome! They fit together pretty well and look like they stack well and are versatile. It's interesting how the ladders always take you up on top of the blockier parts of the walls over the pillars, it seems like it makes sense, as far as how the player would move, to not have it like that. One weird thing is that they have a lot of wooden crates, considering how there's not so many trees in the desert, but it does looks good.

As far as the symbol goes, all of the old concept art I can think of used the edited Gerudo symbol. It might also be better to just use a less detailed scrap of cloth with no symbol on it- it'd be easier to edit as blowing in the breeze too.

Good to see this area coming into being, though : )

Yes, it is based on Ocarina of time, but I looked at the old concepto you made for the overworld (the complete one, not very detailed) and you can see the fortress of the far left corner. So I based it on that too, notice how the layout is the same: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=41420.0

The prison can be inside the fortress, on the basement. I am working on the layout of the fortress  from the inside, I made new times for it too.

On the concept of the overworld you made Max, you show the training grounds tower further to the right from where the fortress is. We can make a path that meses from Death Valley and another one leading to the desert where the tower is, but it is locked, and you need permission of Abigail to go through (she gives you a key or something to open the gate). I imagine the desert leading to the training grounds like twilight Princess, holes in the grounds, enemies lurking everywhere, such as sand gliders, which we could use to move from certain areas, maybe quick sand? We can have the player use most of the items he has:
Hookshot: to get from one side of a pit to another.
Magnetic gloves: same as hookshot, but with metal pilars. And to latch onto sand gliders.
Bomb Cannon: destroy rocks in the way... etc.

As for not many trees, we can add palmtrees. Would make sense IMO.

The ladders going up to the pillar will get changed. Where there is a ladders, there wont be a pillar.

Also, how will the player even GET to the Valley of Death from the already done overworld? Maybe through a cave system?
And there is a stronghold in Death Valley where the sheikah live that locks the entrance to the desert?

Max, I can post the area for the desert and Death Valley and we can work on the concept for both?

EDIT: I attached the areas so we can start thinking about the layout, where everything needs to go. Note that there will be cliffs where the desert ends, and I´m thinking of maybe having the sheikah stronghold on the bottom left part of the valley area? And we can also make the desert even larger, making the Valley smaller?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 09:03:18 am by SpritingBrad »
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 12:33:25 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Someone jog my memory, but is there supposed to be that entrance from the forest there?

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 04:12:25 am »
  • Personal Saucier
Someone jog my memory, but is there supposed to be that entrance from the forest there?

Does this count as jogging your memory?
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 12:06:33 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
You mean que one that leads to the desert? Yes that was the plan. And the entrance to the forest temple will be on a separate map, so its fine.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 09:53:09 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Yeah, there was a little extra space in the design so instead of making something unnecessarily big we already had, we made a secret forest entrance from the desert.

It'll probably need to be harder to get to than just walking though, or else the Gerudo wouldn't really be trapped in the desert like they say XD
Gerudo Desert Update: Oasis and entrance
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 03:09:17 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Yeah, there was a little extra space in the design so instead of making something unnecessarily big we already had, we made a secret forest entrance from the desert.

It'll probably need to be harder to get to than just walking though, or else the Gerudo wouldn't really be trapped in the desert like they say XD

I was thinking that there will be a path leading from the Valley of Death to the Gerudo fortress. Another path leading to the desert from the fortress. And another path leading from the desert to the forest area.

So I fixed the stairs and added vegetation. I also changed the flag to have nothing and I made another variant of the cliffs for the desert, which looks similar to the one that we already have, but they look more like desert cliffs (its an edit of mount crenel´s cliffs). I also added a small oasis by adding a small pond, just for decoration.

Its a small edit, but its getting there! I put the tiles I´m using in the attachment also.

EDIT: I worked on this a bit more! I added cliffs on the entrance to make a path, and I also remembered back when we were doing the river basin, Max added a bush that he said would be burned down with the fire arrows, and since we practically get them here, I thought too put one of those bushes on the entrance of the forest so that way we can only get to it after we get the fire arrows.
The ladder on the top of the cliff takes you to a cave system where you get a heart piece? maybe?
The little chest contains 20 rupees.

So, the entrance to the actual desert will be blocked by a gate, and Abigail will give you the key to open it.
I am thinking, since there is Sand Gliders living there, that there is quick sand and you can only get through with the help of the Sand Gliders, by latching to them with the Magnetic Gloves (but I think you can latch to them without them? And you use the magnetic gloves to control its movement?).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:06:09 pm by SpritingBrad »
Gerudo Desert Update 2: Desert entrance and Geru...
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 10:33:16 am »
  • Just call me Brad
So I made a few changes to the entrance, and added the gate to the desert. I made the training grounds, but it can be changed into a Tower if we want to later. SO I´m thinking that the desert is not going to be big enough, So maybe we can extend it? I posted on the attachment bellow the dimension we have now and the dimensions if we decide to extend the desert a bit more.

Which one do you prefer better? IMO I prefer the larger desert, it leaves more room to add puzzles, enemies, and overall lots of stuff.
I actually have NO IDEA what to put on the desert, I need help with that. Max, you are great at doing concepts, you have helped me and the project SO MUCH before, your help is really appreciated and you are awesome dude! Could you and anyone help me with this? It feels like I´m working alone on this map haha (even tho I´m getting helpful criticism, which is great) But maybe a help with the tiling would be awesome too (this is a community project after all :P)
So tell me what you think of the map so far, do you guys like it?

Darklink45

aka Faded Led
Re: Gerudo Desert and Fortress
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 08:08:20 am »
I present to you... THE MIGHTY MC PALM TREE!
Decided it was about time for a palm tree specifically made for Minish Cap. It came out rather fat, but I thought it fit well with the other trees MC had.
If you are going to use it try out other pallettes with the bushes/trees/sand, I think the ones you have are too dark for a desert.

Oh, and I remade the rocks you had  8)
Personal site: Faded Led
People die when they are killed.
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 12:32:15 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
I present to you... THE MIGHTY MC PALM TREE!
Decided it was about time for a palm tree specifically made for Minish Cap. It came out rather fat, but I thought it fit well with the other trees MC had.
If you are going to use it try out other pallettes with the bushes/trees/sand, I think the ones you have are too dark for a desert.

Oh, and I remade the rocks you had  8)

Seriously dude, everytime I see one of your sprites Im just... speechless. I LOVE IT! You get a 1+ Man, well deserved.

I will add the new rocks and palmtrees to the map when I get home
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 03:59:18 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I'm still in everything-is-!@#$%-mode over here, but I am alive and paying attention to this!  And I have to say, I'm blown away by the progress on this!

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 10:48:19 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Dude, this is sick! Awesome. I think the layout will work pretty well- it might even be a good idea to keep the desert empty until we figure out what's going on in death valley so it can expand if it needs to. Also, and you guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but the sheikah fortress is supposed to be at the end of death valley, right? And then somehow from the fortress you get past their wall into the desert. So we'll have to see how that fits in too. You might have to cross most of the desert to get to the gerudo fortress?

In the little canyon area, it would be visually a little better to move the burnable bush down a little further away from the bridge so they're more distinct elements. Ecologically, it seems like the trees should be concentrated a little closer to the oasis, too- but this is a video game so that doesn't really matter XD   But yeah Darklink, those rocks are stellar! The palm tree is a little hard to read as a palm tree, probably because yeah, the trunk is super fat like the other trees, haha.

The oasis, by the way, is a great idea. It makes sense why the gerudo would settle in that particular spot of the desert and be unable to leave. If I were the gerudo, though, I would have arranged my settlement more around the oasis, and probably dug a well... which does give me some ideas.

I'll try and do some sketches later or tomorrow. I don't have a ton of time right now to work on KoT much, work situation is a little shitty and I'm busy looking for a new job, sorry for not being super active, but I also kinda needed a bit of a break from the game, my ideas were getting stagnant, haha. But yeah, I think I've got some ideas about this area I can put on paper soon. Hopefully I won't change too much, :p

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 11:16:44 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Dude, this is sick! Awesome. I think the layout will work pretty well- it might even be a good idea to keep the desert empty until we figure out what's going on in death valley so it can expand if it needs to. Also, and you guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but the sheikah fortress is supposed to be at the end of death valley, right? And then somehow from the fortress you get past their wall into the desert. So we'll have to see how that fits in too. You might have to cross most of the desert to get to the gerudo fortress?

In the little canyon area, it would be visually a little better to move the burnable bush down a little further away from the bridge so they're more distinct elements. Ecologically, it seems like the trees should be concentrated a little closer to the oasis, too- but this is a video game so that doesn't really matter XD   But yeah Darklink, those rocks are stellar! The palm tree is a little hard to read as a palm tree, probably because yeah, the trunk is super fat like the other trees, haha.

The oasis, by the way, is a great idea. It makes sense why the gerudo would settle in that particular spot of the desert and be unable to leave. If I were the gerudo, though, I would have arranged my settlement more around the oasis, and probably dug a well... which does give me some ideas.

I'll try and do some sketches later or tomorrow. I don't have a ton of time right now to work on KoT much, work situation is a little shitty and I'm busy looking for a new job, sorry for not being super active, but I also kinda needed a bit of a break from the game, my ideas were getting stagnant, haha. But yeah, I think I've got some ideas about this area I can put on paper soon. Hopefully I won't change too much, :p

Awesome Man! Can't wait to see the concept!

PS. The songs you made are Brilliant!

Edit: one thing I have been thinking abiut is how does link even get to Death Valley? There is no way link can get to it from the already established field and other áreas. Maybe through a cave system? Or secret entrane?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:20:14 pm by SpritingBrad »
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 03:12:41 am »
  • It's just Max.
It was initially supposed to be accessible from the mountains, but later proposed that some kind of hate be added from the field. Never settled out.
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 01:01:12 am »
  • It's just Max.
Hahaha, I really thought I could get something done in a couple days, and it's been like weeks. Life's a little more hectic than I thought it was, but I'm happy I had time to sketch some ideas.

For the desert, since we've got the gliders, I thought it might be fun to have shallow canyons running throughout the area. They'd be one tile deep cliffs, instead of the standard two tile cliffs. To get over them, you'd have to use sand gliders. I marked where that would happen with Gs (which also look like 6s) and arrows. The bottom of the little canyons would be kind of dangerous so you wouldn't want to fall in- leever enemies, whatever other desert enemies we have, quicksand, etc. But there's a few areas you can only reach by going through the dangerous canyons. I just remembered that I forgot to hide a vault in here somewhere, but that should be easy too add. Probably near the bottom left corner so it's accessible to teleport to.

So I also sketched an idea for death valley. From the gatehouse (we'll have to put it on Hyrule Field, since we forgot -_- *), you'd have to go through the graveyard, which is where the valley gets its name. The path is a little blocked though, so you have to go through the catacombs and through connected tombs, and snake around through the highlands to reach the Sheikah fortress.

The !@#$% fortress kind of hurt my head to figure out how it would work as far as overworld/separate map, since the player is required to fall into the desert from it, then go back into it through a broken gate or wall or something once the Gerudo attack, but there isn't a ton of room on the overworld here and the angles are weird. After playing around with some different ideas, what I got was you can go out on the rampart from the door up top. That's where Link will battle the Hero's Shade and get knocked into the desert, that little courtyard area. When you're headed back with the gerudo, the wall that's in that courtyard will have been broken through, and you will go through it into the separate map that is inside the fortress.

I also doodled another layout for Gerudo Village, but that was half just for fun and to see what it might look like with aqueducts, and with a more open layout instead of everyone living in a castle. I don't know if I like that any better than what we already have though, so other opinions would be welcome : )

Anyway, glad I finally got to that, maybe I'll finally get back around to actually spriting sometime soon too, lol.

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 01:11:25 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Hahaha, I really thought I could get something done in a couple days, and it's been like weeks. Life's a little more hectic than I thought it was, but I'm happy I had time to sketch some ideas.

For the desert, since we've got the gliders, I thought it might be fun to have shallow canyons running throughout the area. They'd be one tile deep cliffs, instead of the standard two tile cliffs. To get over them, you'd have to use sand gliders. I marked where that would happen with Gs (which also look like 6s) and arrows. The bottom of the little canyons would be kind of dangerous so you wouldn't want to fall in- leever enemies, whatever other desert enemies we have, quicksand, etc. But there's a few areas you can only reach by going through the dangerous canyons. I just remembered that I forgot to hide a vault in here somewhere, but that should be easy too add. Probably near the bottom left corner so it's accessible to teleport to.

So I also sketched an idea for death valley. From the gatehouse (we'll have to put it on Hyrule Field, since we forgot -_- *), you'd have to go through the graveyard, which is where the valley gets its name. The path is a little blocked though, so you have to go through the catacombs and through connected tombs, and snake around through the highlands to reach the Sheikah fortress.

The !@#$% fortress kind of hurt my head to figure out how it would work as far as overworld/separate map, since the player is required to fall into the desert from it, then go back into it through a broken gate or wall or something once the Gerudo attack, but there isn't a ton of room on the overworld here and the angles are weird. After playing around with some different ideas, what I got was you can go out on the rampart from the door up top. That's where Link will battle the Hero's Shade and get knocked into the desert, that little courtyard area. When you're headed back with the gerudo, the wall that's in that courtyard will have been broken through, and you will go through it into the separate map that is inside the fortress.

I also doodled another layout for Gerudo Village, but that was half just for fun and to see what it might look like with aqueducts, and with a more open layout instead of everyone living in a castle. I don't know if I like that any better than what we already have though, so other opinions would be welcome : )

Anyway, glad I finally got to that, maybe I'll finally get back around to actually spriting sometime soon too, lol.

Dude, I LOVE IT!

Too bad I cannot work on this since I will be going to Australia for a month without a computer, I hope you guys can work on this while I´m away! ;)

So I worked on this a little bit, I made the new layout of the Gerudo fortess, and started  the desert, but nothing more. Max, could you make the arches for the fortress and the water pipe thing on them? I was struggling with those, i put the twon ones as placeholders.

Anyways, I love the layout for both the Valley of death and Gerudo desert. We need to put the gate on the field too, its a priority right now. talking of priorities, what happened to the priority list?

Darklink45

aka Faded Led
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 08:20:25 am »
So I attempted the arches in the Gerudo fortress, I attached the tiles and a little mock-up so you can see an example of how they work. ;)
I didn't make the water tho.
Personal site: Faded Led
People die when they are killed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 78 queries.

anything