Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: [ZFGC Weekly] The Big Question - August 3, 2008  (Read 6100 times)

Re: [ZFGC Weekly] The Big Question - August 3, 2...
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 02:36:25 am »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
Ok, I think its time for me to comment now...

Wow. Very hard question right there. Uhm.

First and foremost, I'd like to say I wouldn't want to nominate anyone who has recently stepped down from admin or mod roles. Without exception I think their resignation is somewhat a loss to the community, but if they feel they need to step away from the role, then it would be disrespectful of me to try to force them back.
A lot of people would pick forum-goers that they're friendly with for such a role, but I can't really do that - the members I feel are mature enough are, pretty much universally, either too new, inactive or are already staff. There are a few that I'd say "give them a couple of months, let them know the community better, then they'd be ready".
The obvious choices that others have jumped to seem to be the "celebrities" of the forum; even assuming they have the necessary qualities, I think choosing such a member would be a bad move. Their popularity would detract from their responsibilities, sadly.
There are a few members who have become apparent to me lately in showing a lot of enthuisasm and maturity on the forums, and I would gladly suggest them, if only I didn't feel that perhaps they were too eager. The moderation role requires not only quick thought and action, but also the wisdom to sit back and consider situations more fully.

Soooooo... after all that, sadly, I have difficulty thinking of a single current member who would be as fit for the role as any of the current staff. Sorry about that.

First off, I whole-heartedly agree with you that it's not fair, and even counter-productive, to nominate the few who have stepped down recently, like Andrew and Travis. (I got that right, right? It's been a few years since I've used your first name there buddy ;p)  Stepping down is stepping down, and trying to force somebody to do something they don't want to do is just unethical.

Second off, if you feel that somebody's deserving of the position, why not nominate them with a footnote? I'm sure the administration could work out some kind of trial position for them. I know from experience from working here that everyone here is laid back and flexible. Personally, I'd like to see some more structure in the forums now and some more rigid rules in the moderation sense, not necessarily the rule sense, but the way things are now and always have been, ZFGC is a pretty laid back, friendly place. (Most grammatically incorrect sentence ever)

Third off, why so harsh on "celebrities"? A lot of members who are better known have more than likely as a general rule been active for a long time on the forums and contributed a lot in some way. What's inherently wrong with somebody being well-liked and being staff at the same time? I don't see how popularity can possibly detract from responsibility. Again, if you think back to when I was an admin, aside from April Fools stuff, I got a lot of hate from members for stuff that wasn't necessarily my call. What did I do? I tried to calm them down some, but beyond that I mostly ignored them and did what I needed to do anyway. Responsibility is the most important thing, and it's not mutually exclusive with popularity.

Fourth off, too eager. I can see that as being a problem, but honestly, in the long-term it's not an issue, especially if admins are there to keep them in check. Kind of like the head-mod system, only... You know, actually being put into use.

I'd rather it not be any of the "forum celebrities" as none of them are mod material.

Care to elaborate? I've already hit this issue but I'd like to see your reasoning for why forum celebs can't be responsible.

As for nominees, if you want to get stuff done, Pyrazor is your man. Back in the day he had so many mod actions that it was ridiculous. The enitre rest of the staff couldn't keep up with him. The thing is, none of those were stupid moderations either, they were all justified.

I'd also like to think that Swiftu could make an excellent mod. The people who know the rules the best are those who try to skirt them. With some conviction for the job, Swoftu would be fantastic.

And finally, I think I'd nominate Pyro, for the same reasons as Swoftu.

I know all these people very well and I know they have the "stuff" that it takes to regulate an internet message board. It's not brain science really, but it's not horribly simple either.

Thank you for your time.
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 02:38:22 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
Wow. Very hard question right there. Uhm.

First and foremost, I'd like to say I wouldn't want to nominate anyone who has recently stepped down from admin or mod roles. Without exception I think their resignation is somewhat a loss to the community, but if they feel they need to step away from the role, then it would be disrespectful of me to try to force them back.
A lot of people would pick forum-goers that they're friendly with for such a role, but I can't really do that - the members I feel are mature enough are, pretty much universally, either too new, inactive or are already staff. There are a few that I'd say "give them a couple of months, let them know the community better, then they'd be ready".
The obvious choices that others have jumped to seem to be the "celebrities" of the forum; even assuming they have the necessary qualities, I think choosing such a member would be a bad move. Their popularity would detract from their responsibilities, sadly.
There are a few members who have become apparent to me lately in showing a lot of enthuisasm and maturity on the forums, and I would gladly suggest them, if only I didn't feel that perhaps they were too eager. The moderation role requires not only quick thought and action, but also the wisdom to sit back and consider situations more fully.

Soooooo... after all that, sadly, I have difficulty thinking of a single current member who would be as fit for the role as any of the current staff. Sorry about that.

I completely agree, and almost everyone on the staff in my opinion right now; Suck.
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 02:42:46 am »
  • ๏̯͡๏﴿
Really when I'm talking about celebs I'm mainly talking about Sharon and Cronian( and slightly talking about Swiftu and Pyro). I can't see either being a mod, and for the former atleast would not want to see as a mod because i don't really think in my honest opinion that they'd be a good mod. Hell i really don't care if i ever become a mod. i've been it once(actual mod not a local one like i am currently) and it was good enough for me.
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 02:56:38 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
Really when I'm talking about celebs I'm mainly talking about Sharon and Cronian( and slightly talking about Swiftu and Pyro). I can't see either being a mod, and for the former atleast would not want to see as a mod because i don't really think in my honest opinion that they'd be a good mod. Hell i really don't care if i ever become a mod. i've been it once(actual mod not a local one like i am currently) and it was good enough for me.

Nice way to dodge Wally's post.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 02:58:18 am by Pyro »
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 03:08:10 am »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
That may be Regulus, but I'm defending the Sharon's and the Cronian's as much as I am anyone else. Everyone has a valid shot, I don't think popularity should be something to drag people down with. There are other reasons you may not vote for them, of course, but you get my point.
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 03:17:50 am »
  • The Mike
Darn, I was going to say me. Anyway, I can't really think of anyone. I guess I'd say Kylink because he's a pretty good member and I don't think anyone has anything against him. If not a regular mod, than maybe a local mod of the CP board.

• Zelda Eternity

Kingknight

SiMelon
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 03:49:03 am »
  • The Hunter
MetaKirby or 4Sword
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 03:53:02 am »
The question is not so much of who would be a good moderator, but who would be a good addition to an existing moderation team and what exactly would they add to it.  Popularity should not disqualify anyone, but it should not be looked at as a primary determining factor for their acceptance to an official position.  You have to have been on the current iteration of the forum long enough though to understand the way things are now as well.  Skirting the rules does not guarantee knowledge of the rules so much as it indicates the tendency to get pleasure from pushing other people's figurative buttons.

Something else to consider is that if a potential moderator would mostly be online when more than two other moderators are online as well, it really does not help out that significantly as decisions that need to be made as a group would have enough moderators already and being a moderator would be virtually impossible as there would already be someone covering it.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 03:54:34 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Thanks, Kingknight, but I don't think I'd be a good mod. I don't have the constant access required to be a mod. And READ THE FIRST POST COMPLETELY! He said give a reason!

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 04:04:12 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
ME /lol n00b

Erm, hard choice. Probably source lol
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 12:20:06 am »
  • D-D-D-DRILL!
DJvenom for mod. That is all.
LESS TALK, MORE SPAHK.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 55 queries.