Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 83   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn of Balance  (Read 463295 times)

Re: [Demo] Tech demo - Horn of Balance (working ...
« Reply #400 on: July 04, 2011, 04:47:27 pm »
Okay, so the cukeman does speak and it will hurt you upon walking into it.
Stabbing it does electrify you, but the enemy does not show any new sprite during this.
Hhmm, that'll make it a little harder.
« Reply #401 on: July 05, 2011, 07:03:24 pm »
  • Let's do this.
This game is awesome! :D
I hope you finish the game.

Only one question: How do you make this electric effect?

Oh, and here is my vote: Do whatever you feel like. I'm sure it will be good. XD
This is one of many tales Hylian lore speaks of...

Click here to check out my Deviantart!
  • Zelda Time Walker
« Reply #402 on: July 05, 2011, 08:08:49 pm »
Thanks. That's the kind of response I aim for.  ;)

Getting the effect the way it is was a little hard, but I'll try to explain.

I first save a screenshot to a surface, but not before redrawing all the constant sections perfectly black. (It is important that this black color is not used in the rest of your game). By constant I mean Link, the hud and the enemies so they can later be separated from the rest of the image and redrawn on top of the end result. I then save the screenshot as a sprite, turning the black areas transparent. I'll call this sprite A.

Then I draw spriteA back onto a surface in the same color black to have created an inverted image. I then draw this black area onto the original screenshot (using a new surface) and save it as another sprite, once again turning the black color transparent. With this I have isolated all the sections of the screenshot that I do not want to adjust. Or in other words: I have a transparent surface with ONLY the character, enemies and HUD drawn on it and only the sections you see in the original screenshot. I'll call this imageB.

For the blocky background: Sprite A has holes in it where the character and enemies were placed so I draw it 5 times onto a new surface: normally, with x+8, y+8, x-8 and y-8 (in reversed order). This mostly fills the empty areas with colors somewhat similar to the area around the empty spaces. You'll get really weird effects if you do not do something similar. I save this as spriteC.

All these steps are done at the moment the shocking starts (as to save resources since the following takes a lot of processing power). Next I start to created the main effect. From left to right I keep taking a vertical slice (every n pixels) from spriteC and draw it onto a new surface while stretching it the same n pixels in width. I do the same with the resulting image onto the actual screen, only then drawing horizontal slices stretched in height. n equals the size of the resulting blocks. The result is a blurred screenshot without having used the character, enemies and other constants. I must note that drawing lines and stretching them is WAY more efficient then doing it block by block, obviously.

Finally I take imageB again and also draw it also onto the screen.

Voila. Screen successfully distorted. Easy right?

I'd like to say that's all, but I'm still having problems with preexisting (partly transparent) surfaces in the original screenshot that are not saved to surfaces correctly. It's a gamemaker issue so I'm not trying to solve it right now.
« Reply #403 on: July 08, 2011, 05:42:25 pm »
Today I only had to work for about half a day so I made some more progress:
+ Updated the Snake AI
+ Finished the Cane of Byrna (sounds and animation speed)
+ Fixed pressure plate in first cannonball room
+ Added pressure plate that alternate between active and disabled when you step on them

The Cane of Byrna was indeed not like in the original. After a long time searching I found a youtube video of the Cane in use and based my version on that. Ideally I'd do the same with the Cane of Somaria as I know it's not finished yet. So far a youtube video with that in it has been impossible to find though.

Not sure If anybody will up for this, but I just keep asking as it it's harmfull. Can someone here help find or upload a (youtube) video with the either on of these two specific situations:
A - The Cane of Somaria creates an energy block and enemies collide with it (getting hurt and hopefully even destroying the block)
B - The Cane of Somaria creates an energy block and the block is the willingly destroyed again, creating the 4 fireballs. It's the sounds at the moment of destruction I am looking for.
« Reply #404 on: July 10, 2011, 08:25:19 am »
Not sure If anybody will up for this, but I just keep asking as it it's harmfull. Can someone here help find or upload a (youtube) video with the either on of these two specific situations:
A - The Cane of Somaria creates an energy block and enemies collide with it (getting hurt and hopefully even destroying the block)
B - The Cane of Somaria creates an energy block and the block is the willingly destroyed again, creating the 4 fireballs. It's the sounds at the moment of destruction I am looking for.

Also, here is the next WIP. It's still very early in development. Hopefully I can finish it next weekend.
« Reply #405 on: July 10, 2011, 05:04:44 pm »
Progress report for the rest of the weekend:
+ Fix error message while trying to pull a movable object into a staircase. You can still get stuck in a movable object while decending a staircase is the player placed the object akwardly. Currently that is only possible to accomplice with the block from the Cane of Somaria (and that's destructable) so I'll leave it at that for now.
+ Started work on the new enemy: Beamos
+ Made coding improvements in various movement scripts
+ The character will now be pushed back when hurt by an enemy

Also, I tried out a new screen recorder:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7OL4Ph34tM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7OL4Ph34tM</a>

I wanted to show 4 things:
- The Cane of Byrna is now finished.
- The Cane of Somaria is almost finished, but lacks a sound effect when the block explodes. Also, I managed to trap a Rope in the block. In the original game I believe the Rope would have been harmed by the block. Still searching for a reference on that.
- Catching fairies has been in there for a while. Not really intended to capture one, but since I was there I might as well. The collision checking still needs a little work.
- And finally my first take at having the character jump back when hurt. It'll need some tweaking, but that is for another time. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
« Reply #406 on: July 10, 2011, 08:50:56 pm »
Not bad. IT already feels like "A Link to the Past". :D XD
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #407 on: July 15, 2011, 07:25:44 pm »
Thanks. I'm currently really working hard on the game because I decided to submit it to the NFGC this year. It's likely that I will be busy with exams around that times so the majority of the progress has to be made in these next couple of months. That is also one of the reasons I (finally) downloaded an emulator and alttp. And I was doing so well. Hadn't touched the game in over 10 years. I avoided it up until now, but I needed some research done in order to progress on some issues. Now that I can compare in more detail I'll probably lean far more on the original then before :-\

Anyway. I'm somewhat beat again with a half day of work and a lot of tinkering on the game. Here is a pick of today's result (a burning status for enemies).

And if anybody wishes to help: I made a sprite request here.
« Reply #408 on: July 31, 2011, 05:19:10 pm »
Hello all. Here is the progress made over the last couple of weeks:
+ Updated AI of the Buzzblob
+ Fixed glitch: Rope sprite during shock animation
+ Fixed error: hurt while carrying a container
+ Edited the entrance room to the first dungeon + added an explination (for if people need it) at the end of the sewer area
+ Movable objects may have attached instances that move along with the object
+ Finished the Cane of Somaria
+ Pushed back distance from getting hurt is now enemy dependant
+ Redid the Ropa AI
+ Added new enemy: Cukeman (you can't talk to it yet)
+ Can now set some enemies on fire with the firerod
+ Started work on a new item: Bombos Medallion
« Reply #409 on: August 06, 2011, 08:34:45 pm »
Hello all. Spend most of the day working on the Bombos Medallion and it's now finished. It looked like it was already mostly done, but as always it were those final touches that ended up taking the most time and effort.

« Reply #410 on: August 07, 2011, 02:38:36 pm »
Time for another update (plus request). The image below shows the main plaza of the desert palace, which I just finished. I'm not sure yet if I'm already going to try and it into the next demo. Probably not. As you can see the grass and trees may look out of place. Those are placeholders which I later hope replace with some suitable withered trees and plants. The idea is that the plaza once held a fully grown garden, but now it is neglected and dying off. There are also some statues akwardly placed. Those are also placeholders for now.

Anyway. If anybody knows of any suitable dead/dying plant sprites (or if someone is willing to make me some custom sprites), be sure to let me know.

Main plaza of desert palace:
« Reply #411 on: August 08, 2011, 02:38:33 am »
Whoa!  :o
Games that I support:

« Reply #412 on: August 08, 2011, 02:45:07 pm »
  • It's just Max.
What kind of dead plants are you looking to replace the flowers? I don't know if I can do trees, although I could give it a try, but I'd love to try the other plants!
« Reply #413 on: August 08, 2011, 05:01:57 pm »
If you could help then that would be great.
For the dead plants something simular to the image below might work. Well, minus the pokemon.

EDIT: Wait. Now that I think about it, in alttp there is an old man that gives you the shovel and turns into a tree. That might also be editable.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:42:10 pm by Martijn dh »
« Reply #414 on: August 08, 2011, 06:33:14 pm »
  • It's just Max.
It was actually a young boy you turned into a tree, sort of like the deku child from MM, actually. He's the first from the top left.

The middle row is what I came up with, they're all 16 pixels wide, which I'm assuming you're using?
Then the bottom right guy is a skinnier approach, which I could take if you'd like. Also, I could try shortening them so they'd be 16 pix tall, too, but... they wouldn't really be trees anymore, at least, I wouldn't be using the Flute Boy as a reference anymore, because he'd be too big.

« Reply #415 on: August 08, 2011, 07:14:58 pm »
Those look really good. If you could also make one to fit 16x16 then that would be perfect.
« Reply #416 on: August 09, 2011, 02:56:17 pm »
Is this a desert dungeon?
Games that I support:

« Reply #417 on: August 09, 2011, 05:07:35 pm »
Yes, this is one of the rooms for the desert dungeon.
« Reply #418 on: August 09, 2011, 11:50:33 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Martijn, I LOVE the idea of this dungeon. The design could really bring out some good atmosphere if done right, and you look like you're on the right track. AWESOME work. I want to help but I haven't even gotten around to doing anything with Drandula's story, or even my own game for that matter. D: .. But I'm rooting for you! ^_^
  • My Music
« Reply #419 on: August 11, 2011, 07:58:00 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Sorry it took a while, I haven't been able to get on the computer since last time until today. Haha, this only took like five minutes, too...

It's the three in the bottom left that are 16x16.
The furthest down out of all the 16x16 ones is my favorite, but you can use whatever you want.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:16:35 am by Donotfeedthemax »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 83   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 75 queries.

anything