Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [For Hire] GM7/GM8 Programmer  (Read 2856 times)

[For Hire] GM7/GM8 Programmer
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:16:03 pm »
z3 is about a month away so I am offering my services to anyone who needs help programming something for a game they are working on. If there is something you want to add to your game but do not know how, are having trouble with doing so, or you just want to figure out how someone else would do it, I can help! Also though that doesn't mean I can do everything but I would be willing to try and help you out with what you are asking.

Furthermore I think I should add that if anyone is using the GM Minish Cap Engine for a game they are working on, not only does that make adding of new features to a game easier but that I am always open to explaining and showing how to use that engine or assist you with troubles you encounter while using it.

zaneebaslave

Re: [For Hire] GM7/GM8 Programmer
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 09:46:05 pm »
Aw, man. We need a good programmer for our project. Sadly, my producer (Who also does the programming) seems to be away on business. I havent seen the script (Nor do I want to. That stuff gives me a headache) But he did mention he was having difficulty with a "Lift and Toss" script for a top-down zelda game. Perhaps you can help us with the situation by writing up a new one? Thats really all I need at the time by ways of programming. More technical scripts might be needed when we further progress into the game development.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 10:12:39 pm »
The style used for you project might make that difficult to work with in that because adding something to a project which is not so far off at this stage would be a little difficult. I probably should have specified it better but I am offering my help for the month before the z3 event so that those who may be wanting to enter but are stuck on something might get unstuck and thus able to enter. Building features onto a game which is done in MC, LTTP, or GB style would be easiest to do and are where my skills are; those styles give me a reference onto which I can code towards a fixed goal - of making what I am coding representative of the games in which they are derived.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 09:29:19 am »
4Sword, I'm looking to make a boss similar to the Oracle of Ages/Seasons Ganon, maybe not exactly the same but Ganon is the 3rd dungeon boss in my game, which is the one I plan to include in my z3 demo, since by then the player would have most of the weapons & would be the best way to showcase it. I need help with all my bosses but this is one that for now I really want ready.
But enemy AI is something I have never known how to do. I'm using DLbrooks33's GBC Zelda engine if it helps you out.
My game is going pretty smoothly other then the boss A.I. Right now they just run around aimlessly or follow extremely simple GM paths, which I do not want to do.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 07:50:16 am »
With regard to dlbrook's engine, how much of it have you already adjusted to accommodate for a boss? Did you alter the code such that a room larger than 160 x 144 is possible, have you already put in the boss sprites, how much do you want the boss to do, etc.

The Ganon boss shouldn't be too difficult in its movement patterns in how he moves around the room randomly, also moves to be near Link when he is going to slash, and certain attacks he does are from the top center of the room only. Most of the AI would be in that slash which even then wouldn't be that much, whereas the other AI would be for the energy ball attacks which either move linearly or towards Link subtly with a linear deviation. 

I could also go over your game's code a bit if you send me the GMK file through a PM or something (well I can't remember totally by PMs probably do not do attachments, so like it you could link me to a download with the file in it).
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 12:19:08 am »
I have done absolutely nothing to the engine to change it for the bosses, I'm not good at coding as I said so I've been focusing more on other things right now. I just want a boss good to run by z3, I'll send you the GMK file in a PM, but don't expect much from the simple dungeon I have whipped up, its something I made in about 10 minutes just to have something at least for now, the actual dungeon is almost complete on paper but I haven't really started it yet due to pure laziness.

But to answer your questions, no the bosses room will not be bigger then 160x144, I have the bosses sprites & spritesheet in, but haven't done much with it, and i basically just want ganon to teleport around and do a different attack each time, like a slash for one, fireballs for another, ect.

It actually doesn't sound too difficult, but my limited GML skills make it much more annoying then it should be.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:23:31 am by TomMyG17 »
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 09:47:18 am »
When I looked at the file and tried to run it, I ran into an error which made me abort. I knew how to get around it though so that was fine; just a matter of including the right objects. Also though well using the objDense objects, you don't have to put them in places Link can never run into them. For example, in each sub-room of the dungeon the tiles where the walls form a corner, those don't need an objDense because there are two objDense to the sides of it which stop Link fine. This is easier to see though on your overworld, if Link cannot hit it because another objDense is in the way, then it is not needed.

Also I have been guilty of this a bit and am not sure if it was a conversion error when I bumped up from GM7 to GM8 to test stuff out, but like say an enemy, boss, or Link has a collision mask - that means that the sprites used to show them won't need to do precision collision checking or separate collision masks. It is good practice and likely saves some space.

I'll get to work on the boss stuff though, not sure how progress will go but I will keep you updated via PM.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 10:56:54 am »
Alright, thanks a lot! I'm gonna try to start learning a bit of coding over the summer before I go to college, I'm getting more into filmmaking but also taking some game design classes on the side, I figure one could help the other whichever way I decide on.

But right now I'm going to work on making the dungeon actually somewhat... challenging... lol. That I can do on my own, basically the first dungeon is going to use a combination of the boomerang, arrows, and bombs for any puzzles it has. Those are all simple enough for even me to do right.

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 03:00:47 pm »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.
I have to start from scratch now due to my pc being in another state and might be W.O.ed.  I might be need some help soon anyway.  Currently finding people and what not.
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 1.227 seconds with 52 queries.

anything