Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: [C++] Collision Checker Bug  (Read 5464 times)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Re: [C++] Collision Checker Bug
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 11:12:52 pm »
Doesnt even want to do that. I literally have no clue why its not working

I think he means you need to structure it in a way that it works the way he's mentioning...

Could you give me an example but in pseudo code? (I think I understand but Im going to assume I dont)
  • Phoenix Heart

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 11:22:30 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.

I think he means you need to structure it in a way that it works the way he's mentioning...

Could you give me an example but in pseudo code? (I think I understand but Im going to assume I dont)

Well for one I'm not in any capacity to do so (I don't program in C++ to even come close to being able to give you a valid example), and secondly even if I were in that capacity, I wouldn't give you any information for fear of just !@#$% you over from learning anything from your class. You really need to let your teacher teach you instead of acting on your own accord. This isn't game maker, and you're just ruining any chance you have of properly learning this language. By "This isn't game maker", I mean forget anything you've learned from that and go strictly off of what your teacher is saying.

There are certain fundamentals to game design that you simply can't learn from Game Maker. Things like game loops and etc. These are also things you're not necessarily going to be learning in a general C++ class. Seriously; just finish this class and learn it from your instructor, and then come back and ask questions about this stuff.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:24:11 pm by Mamoruアニメ »

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 11:27:00 pm »

Well for one I'm not in any capacity to do so (I don't program in C++ to even come close to being able to give you a valid example), and secondly even if I were in that capacity, I wouldn't give you any information for fear of just !@#$% you over from learning anything from your class. You really need to let your teacher teach you instead of acting on your own accord. This isn't game maker, and you're just ruining any chance you have of properly learning this language. By "This isn't game maker", I mean forget anything you've learned from that and go strictly off of what your teacher is saying.

There are certain fundamentals to game design that you simply can't learn from Game Maker. Things like game loops and etc. These are also things you're not necessarily going to be learning in a general C++ class. Seriously; just finish this class and learn it from your instructor, and then come back and ask questions about this stuff.

Pseudo code isnt c++

Though I have agree with you on the class thing. Game Maker has definitly helped. Though C++ is so much better

But remember, I JUST said Im going to ask the teacher!
  • Phoenix Heart

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 11:27:51 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.

Pseudo code isnt c++

I'm aware; but again I'm not in any capacity to just pseudo code you something and expect you to be able to do it in C++. Typically when you pseudocode, you at least understand the language you're doing it in.
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 04:46:32 am »
I'd recommend not ever showing your face around the GMC again if you plan on learning C++, it's just going to confuse you even more.
Also, you're really being quite rude to everyone who's actually trying to help you, demanding pseudo code and whatnot...
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 06:23:43 am »
KT, I am reading this topic and I have to agree with DL and Mammy. Furthermore, when you say it doesn't work you don't give further elaboration on it. No one will be able to help you like this. You need to specify the error. Is it a compile issue, a linker issue or a runtime error. Is there an error message you can give. What do you do when you encounter the error. Have you placed debug messages for the console to output before and after every if and loop expression. Do you give the values of variables along with the debug output.

This goes for asking help everywhere, even with your teacher. You will have to explain what you are doing and what error messages you are getting. And show more than just the function you have added, because sometimes the problem is that you do not even enter the function.
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 06:48:58 am »
This is why I am glad I am basically starting back to 0.  Going to Michigan State University with a Computer Science Major.  I am going to try to go into it with a "I don't know crap at all" mentality for the programming classes. 
  • Super Fan Gamers!

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 04:06:09 pm »
Okay guys, the truth is that none of us were right. YUP! NONE OF US!

Turns out the error was caused by a private rather than protected variables. And yes it does make a difference!
Therefore, there was no right or wrong.

Luckily collisions work now. Got perfect,bounding and point pixel collisions done :)
  • Phoenix Heart

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 06:22:36 pm »
  • Xiphirx

Turns out the error was caused by a private rather than protected variables. And yes it does make a difference!

Luckily collisions work now. Got perfect,bounding and point pixel collisions done :)

How were none of us right? Niek, Darklight and Mammy are all right in their advice.

Plus, if you given us more detail we would have been able to help you more :P
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 07:59:59 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything

Had you told us that you were using inheritance, we could have solved that.

EDIT: How the hell did it even compile if you were using private?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 08:06:06 pm by MG-Zero »

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 08:45:17 pm »

It shouldn't, unless he defined another variable with the same name within the scope. Only then I can imagine it compiles and does not behave properly.

Hell, everyone that replied could have told about the access problem with private and protected, if any of us got the entire picture and not simply "It does not work."

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 08:55:23 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
-_- and this is precisely why you shouldn't be asking for help on this Tetiro. You're just not equipped to even present us with problems let alone recieve help for it and understand it. You're coming off incredibly rude and somewhat pompous with statements like:

because frankly, you don't understand the material enough to even describe the issues, let alone determine if something is correct or not. There is totally a right and wrong, and the way you're going about trying to learn this language is all wrong.

I'm gunna leave it at that really. I think further input is just destructive on either end. Until you finish that class or at least understand things enough to bring issues to the table it's kind of a nonpoint.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 08:58:28 pm »

Okay guys I screwed up alright? Can you guys let it go? I learnt my lesson.
Sorry I've been rude about it. I've just been very stressed and sleep deprived because of it. I am going to spend the whole of tomorrow resting to make sure my future posts arent so arrogant (Can't believe I can be so nasty)
  • Phoenix Heart
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 60 queries.

anything