Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ATTN: ZFGC Users  (Read 4857 times)

thestig

ATTN: ZFGC Users
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:16:02 pm »
We just surpassed the 10,000 post mark for the year! This hasn't happened since 2010, so cheers everyone! I acknowledge finally that we've just successfully averted the crisis ZFGC was in.

So... what have we got going on right now?

- Finally off of the legacy Surpass Server.

- Community Project is revived and on the road to a more public-based development scheme(stay tuned for more updates).

- Upcoming rewrite update to end the in-beta state of the site (stay tuned for more details).

- New themes that will mark the biggest departure from the standard "ZFGC Style" since we moved to SMF.

- The impossiburu has happened; #zfgc is active again. :O

- We have a great collection of fan games in development right now, as well.. both Zelda and Misc-based. This couldn't have been possible without the community! (and much creds goes to people who have devoted their free time towards the CP)

The trends show that overall we've been moving up in activity, steadily..  Stay tuned for further updates from the team. ;p I just thought it was cool to see the number so high after how bad things looked just earlier this year. haha...

So.. anyone want to share any wants from the staff, or maybe share some stories related to you/ZFGC?
Re: ATTN: ZFGC Users
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:23:46 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
Wow. Well, atleast were doing good now.

Wants, eh? I'd only really would want a new theme or two, and maybe someone could fix the themes that look pretty close to the default theme(EG. The Vaati Theme and Midnight Revival Theme.)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:37:39 pm »
  • It's the grineer
Don't forget the language lessons, gm  ;).

Any story of me, or ZFGC, huh? I was searching sprites for an animation I was making in flash. I needed the sources, but I had to give credit, so I registered. I ended up asking Max (I was really lucky. I asked another guy, but never answered). Max told me to ask Leduardo. Then, I asked Max about KoT. He told me how it worked. So, I ended up helping on the CP, too. I could add that I met my competitor - Kienamaru - for the boss of the Forest Temple, and we teamed up for Shadow of Termina.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:44:22 pm by BlazeBigBang »
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 12:03:35 am »
As for wants, while this is helped indirectly by the success of other efforts, it would be cool if there could be a push to get a bigger presence at the NCFC event this year. For the last two years there has just been a small handful of Zelda games that have gone to it from ZFGC. That is not to say that the ones that went were not good, but having more variety in what we present there might help bring in more people by showing the diversity in Zelda games.

And story about me/ZFGC, I have recently had more free time to work on GBA programming and intend to continue posting example code for that in the Coding boards. That and possibly reworked versions of the Game Maker stuff I have done. I kind of miss some of the variety that used to pop up in the Coding board or how useful the topics in them could be. That and improving Game Maker code and working beyond it leads to more interesting, quality games.

To what you mentioned, congratulations on the achievements and stuff in the works.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 12:20:24 am »
I would like to say "You're Welcome" to everyone since i feel i am the sole reason the chatroom is active again :)

thestig

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 12:37:18 am »
@Shadow: I couldn't agree more man. There's a much needed facelift for this site. :)

@Blaze: Indeed, man. Those language topics will/have proved useful for people. Luke's helped me on a few occasions pass some tests in Japanese XD. I would've used yours, Blaze, if I was taking Spanish in college. Also Blaze -- that's an interesting story. ;p Giving credit's very important.

@Dimmish: Yes. I tried stressing that other people have contributed to the site's growth. I mean, if you look, the bulk of the growth is attributed to grown interest in the community project. And more people coming around and showing off their works. But it is also good leadership and setting standards that helps push the growth. You need a good leadership to plant the seed. A memberbase by itself won't grow if there isn't a competent lead.

@FISSURE: Where's the obligatory spongebob image?!

EDIT: One more thing, I will be releasing details about the upcoming updates really soon. I promise.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 12:41:09 am »
  • It's the grineer
EDIT: One more thing, I will be releasing details about the upcoming updates really soon. I promise.

Yay! Hope you also update soon the CP Design Document, and that gets better, and a great game can be done.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 01:04:05 am »
@Dimmish: Yes. I tried stressing that other people have contributed to the site's growth. I mean, if you look, the bulk of the growth is attributed to grown interest in the community project. And more people coming around and showing off their works. But it is also good leadership and setting standards that helps push the growth. You need a good leadership to plant the seed. A memberbase by itself won't grow if there isn't a competent lead.

Woah, I don't know what part of my post you're talking about - I was just saying how it'd be cool to get a good push for NCFC and that I looked forward to posting code for others to use going forward. You're right though about leadership. If you want to lead you have to set an example and be willing to put the needs of the many over the needs of yourself.

But about the NCFC, the Zelda projects that get entered there tend to get a recognizable increase in activity from just participating. There tend to be at least 2 or 3 projects a year which could have entered but just fell short of what the project creator(s) felt like they needed to have. If it comes down to that small margin in terms of entering a project, encouragement/support in getting their projects there might be a good thing and not so difficult to do.

thestig

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 01:09:21 am »
I was mainly commenting on  "while this is helped indirectly by the success of other efforts", but I misread that. I've been in contact with Kesha of NCFC for some time now and tried to suggest some ideas for NCFC this year, but I really didn't get any turnaround. I even wanted them to post on this site, but no dice there.

Perhaps next time, NCFC and ZFGC can do some form of collaboration. But I say this on an unofficial note.

As far as the Community Project Doc goes, the GDD will be receiving a much needed change that I really cannot reveal right this minute, but will all make sense within.. like, soon.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 01:11:43 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
I would like to express my general happiness with the community thus far. We have plenty of new members with a lot of potential! I like how we're not focusing on the veterans, the "elders"...and focusing on the new. We are growing as a community, and I am very proud to be a part of this. I'm sorry I'm harsh at times, but sometimes I need to be to keep things in order.

@Dimmish: His response is in correlation to your post about NCFC. To see more projects going in, we need a more active community. To have a more active community, we thus need better leadership. This is exactly what we are trying to achieve and what I believe we have achieved to date. It's wonderful to finally see good leadership after quite some time.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 01:15:56 am »
  • It's the grineer
I would like to express my general happiness with the community thus far. We have plenty of new members with a lot of potential! I like how we're not focusing on the veterans, the "elders"...and focusing on the new. We are growing as a community, and I am very proud to be a part of this. I'm sorry I'm harsh at times, but sometimes I need to be to keep things in order.

Yeah, you do, Star. You always put order when we go off-topic (a couple of time it was Shadow and me, for example, in my submission of the Mechanoid Fish  XD). But, you brought the Character Competition!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 01:29:39 am »
I was mainly commenting on  "while this is helped indirectly by the success of other efforts", but I misread that. I've been in contact with Kesha of NCFC for some time now and tried to suggest some ideas for NCFC this year, but I really didn't get any turnaround. I even wanted them to post on this site, but no dice there.

Perhaps next time, NCFC and ZFGC can do some form of collaboration. But I say this on an unofficial note.

No worries, sometimes what I say gets lost in how I say it. It's nice to know that you were in contact with Kesha and even though you didn't get the turnaround you needed, it was always a start. It wouldn't be a Nintendo fangame conversion without Zelda - the leverage is always there and only grows with a better showing each year.

@Dimmish: His response is in correlation to your post about NCFC. To see more projects going in, we need a more active community. To have a more active community, we thus need better leadership. This is exactly what we are trying to achieve and what I believe we have achieved to date. It's wonderful to finally see good leadership after quite some time.

My point was more towards how there are projects on the fence which are close enough to the point of being entered into the NCFC but their creator(s) don't feel they're worthy or that they don't have something new enough to show (in terms of not having made progress on their project in a few months or something). The projects would still be new to those at the NCFC and the apprehensions about sharing their project tend to be the creator(s) of their projects being self-critical. What they have is good enough to show, and encouragement to do so would be good too. Having just 2 or 3 additional projects appearing at NCFC would be a sizable improvement.
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 01:33:22 am »
Here you go geem:

Show content

In all seriousness though. Good job everyone with getting activity up, and on everything related to fangaming and the like.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 02:01:29 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
I'm honestly most surprised about the channel being active. Maybe I'll have to start idling there again. :D

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 03:24:32 am »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
YAY MORE IDLERS!!!!
:D
Anyway it's nice to see ZFGC active again. Was getting a bit nervous there.

^ found FISSURE!!!
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 01:42:03 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
Wait, FISSURE is secretly Miyomoto? why is nintendo secretly spying on us?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 66 queries.