Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you guys think should happen to zfgc? (How to make it a better place)  (Read 13087 times)

Re: What do you guys think should happen to zfgc...
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2006, 01:15:56 am »
I think planning will continue, though i'm out of the loop at the moment, thats fine though. We have lost both justin and kirby. Justin is the funds, and kirby is the brains. I think we'll still build up from there.. Kirby and I have tossed a lot of ideas around in the past! So... maybe i can be used as a reference tool. I keep popping in and out, thats how life is at the moment. ZFGC is unfortunately, kind of a 'secondary' project for me. >.> I do adore this place though.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2006, 06:57:18 pm »
  • =/
I think planning will continue, though i'm out of the loop at the moment, thats fine though. We have lost both justin and kirby. Justin is the funds, and kirby is the brains. I think we'll still build up from there.. Kirby and I have tossed a lot of ideas around in the past! So... maybe i can be used as a reference tool. I keep popping in and out, thats how life is at the moment. ZFGC is unfortunately, kind of a 'secondary' project for me. >.> I do adore this place though.
=/ Alright, thats good to know. Atleast we're getting support from the staff.

Hyperhal

Certified DSL Owner
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2006, 06:12:09 am »
  • Rock Howard
It only "looks" like we aren't doing anything because you can't completely overhaul a site in a week. Have faith in us guys, we're taking all the ideas you post. This isnt a topic where its like "Lol, these guyz fail".

We're doing the "What we should do first" phase. Believe me when we say we've got it all handled. Also, posts as many ideas as possible. This is a anything-goes moment for zfgc, so you never know if one of your ideas is getting implemented.

Regarding the rupees system, there is something like that being planned currently.

And yes, now we need to worry about money and such. It a hard moment for the saff so don't say "I don't think they're doing anything" because they're doing everything they can to make sure this place lives on and prospers.
I guess I should start visiting this website again. ._.

Hikij

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2006, 06:15:53 am »
How bout a new CMS that lets us easily display our fangames?
EDIT: Also, I just realised. We missed ZFGC's birthday. :(
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 06:20:14 am by Hikij »

onishounen

« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2006, 02:02:18 am »
I think that it'd be placed in some sort of large announcement that if anyone has any ties to any other kind of community, that they have some sort of advert back to here, and following logical principles people that are actually interested in this place stay for what they like (sprites, fangames, music, O_o and don't forget the community in general) and would contribute properly to what they like.

I think the rupee/rewards system would be very interesting but it seems that it would be sort of temporary, (ie. an influx of people joining and playing for the novelty of the system and it's rewards, then ditching ZFGC.) So it definately should be a quality system, something that isn't just "Oh, let's see how quickly and easily I can get everything." While it wouldn't be that simple I assume people would eventually degrade it to that. Like said before it should be "Hey, he completed his fangame, and alot of people like it!" So a Mod, or Admin generates 10-20 rupees to his account.

Another good idea to the rupee system though is to add functionality to the items you buy. Such as, incorporating another idea before, buying a pass to be permitted into the Spam forum. Even something like the Lens of Truth could just be like some little graphical easter eggs in some posts, like add some code string people can put in there posts or signatures that can be viewed by themselves normally, but others can only see it if they have the lens of truth. I'm guessing you get my ideas for that.

Last, in light of the "ZFGC Website". I think the game of the month contest can be furthered by having it's own page on the website, much like a booth in z3, and things like that can be applied for everything, such as sprite of the week, (but content might be an issue there) and even for music of the week (content might be an issue here also.)

A good thing for this website could be to try to affliate with other game/gamemaking oriented websites also.

Ok, I need to get a shower and go to be now, I'll *hopefully* have more ideas later.

++++++++++++++ ADDITIONAL IDEAS++++++

A ZFGC Commitee.... You know like a group of probably 12 people that are elected by the members here, and it would work much like the congress today, so I'd say about 3 spots go up for election every month, that way, just like in congress there is a steady balance of senority/those with good leadership/experience. I assume this could go bad, but the popularity of the people eventually wouldn't have a factor in this anymore because the people would eventually see that the people aren't adept at their job.

Now, these committee members could have some responsibilities delegated to them from the mods and admins. I'd say the more community oriented things, and   this would help decisions because it ultimately would be up to the committee to decide things. (Things like the "Spam Forum Go or Stay Debate") Or even for instating new ideas into the forum... *Gotta go, more ideas later.*
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 11:15:10 pm by onishounen »

Hyperhal

Certified DSL Owner
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2006, 11:18:15 pm »
  • Rock Howard
I think that it'd be placed in some sort of large announcement that if anyone has any ties to any other kind of community, that they have some sort of advert back to here, and following logical principles people that are actually interested in this place stay for what they like (sprites, fangames, music, O_o and don't forget the community in general) and would contribute properly to what they like.

I think the rupee/rewards system would be very interesting but it seems that it would be sort of temporary, (ie. an influx of people joining and playing for the novelty of the system and it's rewards, then ditching ZFGC.) So it definately should be a quality system, something that isn't just "Oh, let's see how quickly and easily I can get everything." While it wouldn't be that simple I assume people would eventually degrade it to that. Like said before it should be "Hey, he completed his fangame, and alot of people like it!" So a Mod, or Admin generates 10-20 rupees to his account.

Another good idea to the rupee system though is to add functionality to the items you buy. Such as, incorporating another idea before, buying a pass to be permitted into the Spam forum. Even something like the Lens of Truth could just be like some little graphical easter eggs in some posts, like add some code string people can put in there posts or signatures that can be viewed by themselves normally, but others can only see it if they have the lens of truth. I'm guessing you get my ideas for that.

Last, in light of the "ZFGC Website". I think the game of the month contest can be furthered by having it's own page on the website, much like a booth in z3, and things like that can be applied for everything, such as sprite of the week, (but content might be an issue there) and even for music of the week (content might be an issue here also.)

A good thing for this website could be to try to affliate with other game/gamemaking oriented websites also.

Ok, I need to get a shower and go to be now, I'll *hopefully* have more ideas later.

A ZFGC Commitee.... You know like a group of probably 12 people that are elected by the members here, and it would work much like the congress today, so I'd say about 3 spots go up for election every month, that way, just like in congress there is a steady balance of senority/those with good leadership/experience. I assume this could go bad, but the popularity of the people eventually wouldn't have a factor in this anymore because the people would eventually see that the people aren't adept at their job.

Now, these committee members could have some responsibilities delegated to them from the mods and admins. I'd say the more community oriented things, and   this would help decisions because it ultimately would be up to the committee to decide things. (Things like the "Spam Forum Go or Stay Debate") Or even for instating new ideas into the forum... *Gotta go, more ideas later.*

Those are some REALLY good ideas you've got right there, I didn't even think about some of that. And the GotM thing is going to be incorporated somehow >_>
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2006, 12:47:57 pm »
I think we should get rid of the curse protector thing. I mean what do we try to prevent young kids from? They hear everywhere people cursing. Like we can prevent them from hearing people cursing.
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2006, 02:35:14 pm »
if you don't like the censor just turn it off in your profile.
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2006, 02:49:51 pm »
How?

Pyru

« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2006, 04:02:32 pm »
How?

My Controls > Look and Layout Preferences > Leave Words Uncensored
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2006, 05:36:32 pm »
You would think that by now more of these ideas would be implemented, but for some reason they have not been.  With the exception of the emoticon contest, there really has been no increase in the quality or functionality of this site.  And no, it does not matter that as members we can not see what is going on "behind the scenes" because to us, there may be nothing else.

Why do you not just post what you are planning on doing, and then the members can give you advice on how to do it well.  We do not even know all the ideas that are being actively discussed or decided upon.  To me, it seems like the staff has a sense of direction, but no good way to get there.

In case I have not been clear, here is an idea: post an image of how the ZFGC website layout might look.
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2006, 06:18:42 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly with this and would like to add that maybe the ZFGC council would be like a student council, the voice of the members to help out the mods and admins.
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2006, 06:40:05 pm »
You stepped on everything I just said to state the obvious on something that is nearly a month old.  Why? 
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2006, 06:46:52 pm »
1. Because I missed that part of your post, or atleast I guess I did I thought I read the whole thing.
2. Even if the staff isn't paying attention I wanted get that out there so it can be implemented later.
3. Sorry I'm not trying disagree with you.
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2006, 08:25:59 pm »
I guess I will have to PM/e-mail the staff until they start reading these more or start showing some substance to their claims.

For the time being, here are some of my ideas:

1. Increase the enforcement of the warning system because it is not working.

2. Do not have a council of people, here is why it would not work

a. A limit on the number of people who could be in it would result in some good people being excluded and some good people  being forced to leave it.
  b. No limit on the number of people would make it so new members would be excluded and would cause a rift between the new and old members.  Who is to say that some one new could not offer good insight?
  c. Council members would have no real power.
  d. The start of the council would be plagued with incompetent and yet popular members

3. Have a committee system
  a. People would apply to do work on the site.  For example, if you could design a website well, then you could apply to be on the committee of web design.  Committee chairmen would be appointed by the current administrator and would decide who could enter their committee based on the skills of the members who apply to them. 
  b. Committee work would ensure that things get done.  If someone is on one committee and that committee has one function, then getting that function done would be easier and more efficient.
  c. A committee system would help to ensure that no one got that dumb feeling of being better than everyone else by being in a select club.  Being in a committee would be to get something done and not to show off.

4. Change the rules in the Debate section to allow religious debates.
  a. A lot of debates tend to shift that way naturally
  b. Members should already know not to put down another???s beliefs and if they do they should be reprimanded.
  c. Debates in the context of a religion are fine.  For example, if I wanted to debate whether or not the Christian god is a caring or a harsh god, then I could say that the Bible says he is nice here and someone could say he is mean there. 
  d. The only true problem with religious debates is that times come up when it is religion versus scientific knowledge.  These are the only things that should be avoided because while one side may look like the right answer, both sides are not fully proven or understood.
    i. In other words debates such as Science versus Science are fine, as are debates about one Religion and the ideas in that same religion (Christianity versus Islam for example would be bad because both are not fully understood and provable, while a ???Was Judas a sinner or an instrument of Jesus??? will???? is alright.  Things like ???Are the Islamic god and the Christian god the same god??? would be alright as long as they were not debated over which is right or true.
    ii. Debates often lead to name calling.  For the moderators and staff, it is easier to censure the debate board.  However, preventing things that might lead to name calling when they have an equal chance of not leading to name calling is wrong.  You are a moderator, get used to it; it is what you said you could do.

5. Create a New User sub-board that when a new member registers, they must go through for a short period of time and/or posts.
  a. This will stop people from registering just to ask for something and leave.
  b. Existing members who have been here for a while should not be able to make topics, but they should be allowed to post in existing topics.  Inversely, new members should only be able to post in the New User board and not in other boards until their time there is up.
  c. If the member used to come to ZFGC and was a regular, then they can PM the administrator to skip the New User process.

6. Prune the database.  There are many users who are at zero posts.

7. List moderator specific rules that they must follow to ensure that they do not think that they are ???above the law???.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 08:48:16 pm by 4Sword »

Hyperhal

Certified DSL Owner
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2006, 02:03:12 pm »
  • Rock Howard
First off 4Sword, you don't have to tell the staff what they already know. We do realize that all you members are sitting waiting for some type of miracle to occur, bringing this place into a state of absolute happiness. So then now you want us to post our ideas so you'll be able to comment us based on what we've got? Thing is, everything that I've had that I *want* the community to know about, is in this here topic. Mind you that I was a mere member when I first made this topic. I had no clue that I were going to someday be able to implement them. A chance like this was like winning the lottery: I was GOING to take advantage of the moment to implement what I wanted to implement.

So either you don't have much faith in me, or you just need to practice being a whole lot more patient. Either way, I'm doing what I need to do as administrator of zfgc. If you don't like the fact that its a process to bring all these things to this site, then I really can't help you.

So now I guess we should start rushing our plans now to assure that 4Sword is satisfied
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2006, 09:10:49 pm »
I should not have to read through everything that has been posted to understand all of your objectives.  What I want you to do is to give a list of the things that you are more than likely going to implement.  That way, we can move past those things and on to new ideas.  Otherwise, we are going to keep repeating the unnecessary.  What I am doing is making sure that progress is made and that the staff is pursuing this to the best of their abilities.

Also, quit trying to belittle me.  I have held back chewing you out, so you should be able to do the same.
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2006, 11:16:10 am »
Game Making Competition FTW.
Best Zelda game in a week, with like, Graphic requirements, and stuff like that.

.TakaM was here.
so my friend stole a giant bag of ketchup out of the ketchup pumping things and brought it to our table and we took it in the bathroom and i smashed it over the sink and kicked it around the bathroom and smeared it everywhere and we all took turns kicking the ketchup out of it and when we were done it looked like an african village was murdered in the bathroom
XFD.
  • Awesome Land
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 70 queries.

anything