Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Link3D - A voxelized LoZ - wip - [screenshots]  (Read 6228 times)

Link3D - A voxelized LoZ - wip - [screenshots]
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:16:22 pm »

Greetings ZFGC!! I am here today to show off the work I've done making my fangame Link3D. These shots are all close to a year old, I've been hard at work lately getting this project closer to an alpha demo release. Just this week I've started making Princess Zelda as a fully functioning second playable character.

This is made using EDuke32, a modern engine based off Duke3D's build engine by Ken Silverman. The voxels are all by me using another Ken S. program Slab6.

Do you like my plan to make Zelda a playable character?
In my demo, soon to made, which Boss would you like to see voxelized? (don't say ganon... yet)
Art style to be very similar to LoZ, but any none LoZ features you think I should add? (hookshot's my fav so expect it eventually)

I posted this here for crits and comments so don't hold back, tell me what you think.
Re: Link3D - A voxelized LoZ - wip - [screenshot...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 12:22:30 am »
Maybe it's my LED tv but Link looks really blurry in the close-ups.  Other than that, looks promising.  You might want to look into some ways to shorten teh field of vision somewhat. 
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 01:42:48 am »
two very good points, thanks. 1st off, those screens are using an 8-bit "software" renderer. The engine also has OpenGL, and converts the voxels to polygon models at run time. I have, since those pics, decided to make this project purely OpenGL 32bit. For the above mentioned blurriness plus some clipping issues.

As for the FOV, I agree full heartedly. I have been playing around with the camera a little and have something now that is tied to the mouse, you can look slightly up/down side to side with a tighter FOV.

Here's some pics of Zelda. I need to make each frame of animation a unique voxel, just like sprites work basicly.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:48:36 am by Voxel Link »
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 02:41:16 pm »
I've got Zelda coded in, I just need to make the models of her attacking animations.
Another screenshot, this one is in game, and from today.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 02:14:16 pm »
I got a Dungeon shot to show you all, then I'll hang back a bit till I have a video. Soon :)

This shot shows off the maximum view angle for the rotatable camera.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 03:45:13 pm »

Still going here, Princess Zelda is in now as an optional 2nd player. I have a quote system up and running too, shhh, it's a secret to everybody  ;)
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 11:15:26 pm »
That's pretty neat :D
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 12:02:25 am »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
That looks pretty cool, in dungeons maybe you could have it fade to black ouside the chamber zone so you can't see where the other rooms are.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 02:24:21 am »
Thanks for the positive feedback. Good idea on a fade to black. I've since brought the camera down even closer still. Here is a pic of the 2D mode of the map editor.

For those interested in game engines, I've twisted a FPS to stare at his feet and created this world down on the ground at a tiny scale compared to what the engine normal uses. Look here for info on the engine, Eduke32 http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Main_Page it has a simple to use scripting language called CON code.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 08:01:13 pm »
That looks pretty cool, in dungeons maybe you could have it fade to black ouside the chamber zone so you can't see where the other rooms are.
Seriously, Thank-you very much for this suggestion. Here is about the best I could do while keeping it simple on my end. This fade out is using the engines built in visibility/ambient light settings, the blackout is a code based color swap where every tile is set to black until the player enters the room. These shots are also using the latest camera code, slightly closer than what I have shown previously.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 01:44:18 am »
https://www.mediafire.com/?kj0aj8we6d11imr
21 sec 2 MB video-very poor quality lol

Pictures cant really show this ^

Camera angle switching, with an operating compass.
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 02:53:24 am »

I'm to the point now where I get to work on enemies and boss scripting... fun stuff :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 62 queries.