Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

Based on the current demo, how would you rate the game? (For the Wind Chapter)

5 Stars! Tetiro's worthy of the Triforce!
- 4 (36.4%)
4 Stars! This is worth a Piece of Heart!
- 3 (27.3%)
3 Stars. Have a few rupees for your work
- 3 (27.3%)
2 Stars. I should probably give feedback
- 0 (0%)
1 Stars... I need to tell Tetiro why
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: [DEMO] The Legend of Zelda : Chiming Bells  (Read 47421 times)

Re: [DEMO] The Legend of Zelda : Chiming Bells
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 07:38:09 pm »
I played the game, too, so here we go ... :

1. I like how the game feels, somehow. It controls very nice, and although there were some issues (no collision for NPCs and enemies don't push you back, when they hit you), they didn't bother me that much, for some reason.

2. That NPC with the weird sound effect is the Happy Mask Salesman (I think). That bug happened to me too.

3. The suicide button is especially dangerous, because when you use it (D) in the menu to switch to the other menu screen, you die as well, as soon as you close the menu!

4. The mini games were a little bit too easy in my opinion? I got a perfect score in the shooting gallery and the rhythm game on the first try. Of course, you don't need to change that if you think the difficulty is just right.
In the shooting gallery you can also use the very cheap tactic of standing in one spot with auto-fire and just wait, till the target flies to it's doom. Maybe you should limit the number of available bolts?
But what I really liked about the food-throwing and rhythm games is that their difficulty went up as time progressed. That was nice attention to detail.

5. That boss fight ...
Show content
You have to shoot him while he moves, right. Because when you shoot him while he's standing, he still appears to get hurt (flashes red), so I used all my arrows on him while he was standing, cause I thought it would damage him. So naturally I ran out of arrows real fast. Maybe change it so that he doesn't flash red when he's not moving and hit?

6. Maybe 2 minutes is a bit too long for the auction?

7. Saving didn't work for me. When I said save an error popped up: 'Error loading file for writing' or something. I pressed Ignore and the game went on like normal, but it hadn't saved. That could be because my computer is from Germany (That has messed up the save features for other GM games in the past already), or it could be a general problem.

8. What I really, really, really loved was the day-night cycle of the NPCs. They move around town, get to their houses at night and lock their doors at certain times ... I thought that was very well done. Although one thing that would have been nice is to know during what time the doors would be unlocked. Maybe have a textbox that says 'Come back at sunrise' or something when you try to open a locked door.

9. The Controls. Maybe I missed it, but it doesn't tell you anywhere what the controls are?
I had to find out on my own that P opens the menu. Also, I think that the menu button should be closer to the other buttons.

10. I also liked that there I could do many sidequests. I got
Show content
9 heart pieces, one bolt bag upgrade, a bottle, access to soup ... did I miss anything?

11. That dungeon was a bit short. It's okay for a first dungeon, but you should make the others longer.

That's about it, I think. Phew, long post.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 07:58:30 pm »

1. I like how the game feels, somehow. It controls very nice, and although there were some issues (no collision for NPCs and enemies don't push you back, when they hit you), they didn't bother me that much, for some reason.

2. That NPC with the weird sound effect is the Happy Mask Salesman (I think). That bug happened to me too.

3. The suicide button is especially dangerous, because when you use it (D) in the menu to switch to the other menu screen, you die as well, as soon as you close the menu!

4. The mini games were a little bit too easy in my opinion? I got a perfect score in the shooting gallery and the rhythm game on the first try. Of course, you don't need to change that if you think the difficulty is just right.
In the shooting gallery you can also use the very cheap tactic of standing in one spot with auto-fire and just wait, till the target flies to it's doom. Maybe you should limit the number of available bolts?
But what I really liked about the food-throwing and rhythm games is that their difficulty went up as time progressed. That was nice attention to detail.

5. That boss fight ...
Show content
You have to shoot him while he moves, right. Because when you shoot him while he's standing, he still appears to get hurt (flashes red), so I used all my arrows on him while he was standing, cause I thought it would damage him. So naturally I ran out of arrows real fast. Maybe change it so that he doesn't flash red when he's not moving and hit?

7. Saving didn't work for me. When I said save an error popped up: 'Error loading file for writing' or something. I pressed Ignore and the game went on like normal, but it hadn't saved. That could be because my computer is from Germany (That has messed up the save features for other GM games in the past already), or it could be a general problem.

8. What I really, really, really loved was the day-night cycle of the NPCs. They move around town, get to their houses at night and lock their doors at certain times ... I thought that was very well done. Although one thing that would have been nice is to know during what time the doors would be unlocked. Maybe have a textbox that says 'Come back at sunrise' or something when you try to open a locked door.

9. The Controls. Maybe I missed it, but it doesn't tell you anywhere what the controls are?
I had to find out on my own that P opens the menu. Also, I think that the menu button should be closer to the other buttons.

Show content
9 heart pieces, one bolt bag upgrade, a bottle, access to soup ... did I miss anything?

11. That dungeon was a bit short. It's okay for a first dungeon, but you should make the others longer.

1. Based on the fact that NPCs move, I though collisions would be too buggy. As for enemies, I always found it annoying.

2. I shall be looking deeply into this error

3. Yeh don't worry this will be fixed

4. Perhaps I should limit the number of bolts to the size of the bolt bag? Or maybe 99? I think I'll be leaving the difficulty of the rhythm game the same as it's just for fun.

5. Ah in that case I will defo be sorting it out

6. It's only 30 secs longer than the Wind Waker auction

7. I can happily say that this isn't the game. The saving works perfectly on my end. It maybe be your computer

8. I shall be looking into that for demo #2

9. To be fair, in the old games they never told you the controls. But I see your point.

10. I will need to check.

11. The other dungeons will be alot longer. They gain an extra room for each dungeon. The second dungeon will have two floors.

• Phoenix Heart
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 08:17:29 pm »
1. Based on the fact that NPCs move, I though collisions would be too buggy. As for enemies, I always found it annoying.

Yes, I thought the NPCs moving might be a reason for that, and I think it's okay.

4. Perhaps I should limit the number of bolts to the size of the bolt bag? Or maybe 99? I think I'll be leaving the difficulty of the rhythm game the same as it's just for fun.

Just a suggestion, but maybe limit = (number of targets)*1.5? And maybe rounded up to a nice number.

6. It's only 30 secs longer than the Wind Waker auction

Oh, I didn't remember it to be that long.  :o So I guess 2 min are good.

7. I can happily say that this isn't the game. The saving works perfectly on my end. It maybe be your computer

That sucks for me. Guess I have find a solution myself. Especially in the finished game that would be fatal.

9. To be fair, in the old games they never told you the controls. But I see your point.

You should maybe put it into the first post of this topic and into the F1 help screen.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:43:17 pm by Sahittam »

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 02:29:47 am »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.
Ah I thought you were gonna release when NCFC started XD, anyway great demo :D
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 02:15:55 pm »

5. That boss fight ...
Show content

Show content

The following numbered issues have been fixed and are in the NCFC demo are

3, 5, 5+ (The saving during miniboss and boss fights. Til NCFC. Don't do it)

I will be fixing when I get back to my flat

2 (Can tell me what day and time the problem is, what story items you have, what items you gave him and what he's given you), 4 and 9 (Will be providing a readme file)

As of NCFC demo currently:
-The boss will no longer flash when you shoot an arrow it anytime during the fight. Only when you've stunned/hurt it
-Saving is safe in boss and mini boss battles (You can save safely already but you can't beat the boss if you do save it. Hard to explain)
-Suicide button. DELETED!
-Small bugs fixed

I'd also like every player of this game to give me three ratings. One now before bugs are fixed so I know how badly the bugs ruin the gameplay, one which is your thoughts of how well the game would be if the bugs are fixed and another rating when you play the game at NCFC when all the bugs are actually fixed. I'd REALLY appreciate it.

I'd like the first two ratings before NCFC. It's on a 1-5 / 5 rating system please

FINAL THING on this post. Would people like attached in the NCFC demo a file listing all the Allusions to the other zelda games or would you just like clues?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:30:59 pm by King Tetiro »
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 06:21:45 pm »
Just 5 more days. You can wait right?

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 06:34:44 pm »
Just 5 more days. You can wait right?

Well not really for the first two ratings as when you play the NCFC, the first two ratings will be subconsciously affected by you playing the NCFC demo.
  • Phoenix Heart

TDWP FTW

Forstride Productions
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 06:55:43 pm »
  • Forstride Productions
 - There seem to be a few tiling problems, like below the hill near the stream in South Hyrule Field.
 - You can walk on some areas of water.  I'm assuming this is do to not placing markers or whatever you call them correctly.
 - When you walk over tall grass, it doesn't look like you're walking in the tall grass like it should.
 - The town is way too crowded visually.  The pipes (?) hanging above the town, all the balloons, fireworks, people, etc.
 - The controls aren't listed anywhere, and I ended up hitting both suicide buttons (D and L) going through keys and figuring out what was what.  Not to mention, P as pause is really annoying.
 - The day/night cycle goes way too fast IMO.
 - The ZREO music doesn't fit the game at all, and I don't like how it loops constantly through the day/night.  You should have it switch to something calm, or even just crows and other animal sounds like in OoT.

As for things I liked...Well, it's not a lot, but:

- The day/night cycle looked nice.
 - There's a lot of interactivity and dynamic-ness to the game, kind of like Majora's Mask, and I really like that.
 - The engine seems to work smoothly and without problems.

For now, I'd give it a 2/5.  When the bugs are fixed, a 3/5, as most of my "complaints" aren't bugs, but rather things I just find unfitting.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 07:16:33 pm »
- There seem to be a few tiling problems, like below the hill near the stream in South Hyrule Field.
 - You can walk on some areas of water.  I'm assuming this is do to not placing markers or whatever you call them correctly.
 - When you walk over tall grass, it doesn't look like you're walking in the tall grass like it should.
 - The town is way too crowded visually.  The pipes (?) hanging above the town, all the balloons, fireworks, people, etc.
 - The controls aren't listed anywhere, and I ended up hitting both suicide buttons (D and L) going through keys and figuring out what was what.  Not to mention, P as pause is really annoying.
 - The day/night cycle goes way too fast IMO.
 - The ZREO music doesn't fit the game at all, and I don't like how it loops constantly through the day/night.  You should have it switch to something calm, or even just crows and other animal sounds like in OoT.

As for things I liked...Well, it's not a lot, but:

- The day/night cycle looked nice.
 - There's a lot of interactivity and dynamic-ness to the game, kind of like Majora's Mask, and I really like that.
 - The engine seems to work smoothly and without problems.

For now, I'd give it a 2/5.  When the bugs are fixed, a 3/5, as most of my "complaints" aren't bugs, but rather things I just find unfitting.

Please note graphical problems may just be down to my graphics style. Though I will look into them.

Tiling problems? Mind giving me a screenshot?
Water? Screenshots again?
Grass Walking : I'll give you that but I'm still deciding that
Town Visiual : Actually I won't be changing that. It's meant to be like that. It is a TOWN after all :P
Suicide button : Is L a suicide button? It shouldn't be. I'll look into it
Day/Night : Only in Hyrule Field. It's slow everywhere else. Won't be changed
ZREO : I can only provide what ZREO has. I really wanted to have their music plus my composer is busy. Sorry but this will remain.

Appreciate the feedback and rating! Was expecting it a little higher but can't complain lol
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 07:26:32 pm by King Tetiro »
  • Phoenix Heart

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 07:59:26 am »
Ok guys I've fixed all the big bugs and now I want to know. Which stuff wasn't bugs but what bugged you in the game?

EDIT: Other than Link in shallow water and grass needs a splash/grass effect around Link's feet. I can't find the sprites for it in LTTP
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:27:57 am by King Tetiro »
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 03:50:49 pm »
I'm already loving it.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 08:35:34 am »
I'm already planning the next demo's content.

I'm going to use this chance to say that the Great Deku Tree's Creation of Hyrule tale returns told by Chia. Along with her tale on the Bells of Hyrule
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:37:17 am by King Tetiro »
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2011, 01:40:12 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
... 7. Saving didn't work for me. When I said save an error popped up: 'Error loading file for writing' or something. I pressed Ignore and the game went on like normal, but it hadn't saved. That could be because my computer is from Germany (That has messed up the save features for other GM games in the past already), or it could be a general problem. ...

That sucks for me. Guess I have find a solution myself. Especially in the finished game that would be fatal.

Actually, I got the same problem as Sahittam. I'm afraid that you're mistaken King T, unless someone else other than you has been able to save successfully, I believe you may have an actual coding problem.

I have a theory about what might be wrong:
I noticed that there is no "save" file that comes with the game, and the error says that there is a problem opening/loading the save file. Perhaps you are asking in the code to open a file that isn't existing? It would work for you if you already had the save file existing on your computer, but it wouldn't work for anyone else if they did not have that file existing. You need to first ask if there is a save file, and if not it needs to create one before it can write to it.
If this is not the problem, then I'm not sure what it is, but saving to files works fine with other gm games on my computer, so it is definitely a problem with your code.

Anyway, I have got to agree with TDWP FTW (whatever "TDWP" stands for) that the interactivity in the game is amazing! Definitely gives a bit of that good MM feeling. Seriously, well done on that! I don't think the town was too crowded, having all that stuff gave the correct atmosphere that it was a festival and all. I liked that.

I did find the constant voice clips to be a little bit too much. In my opinion, you don't need people to make a noise EVERY time the text box refreshes. Swinging the sword is fun, but hitting enemies is a bit too difficult because the sword is not quite long enough and/or the enemies need to bounce back or act more like they've been hurt when hit. It may also help to have some kind of "hit" particle effect come from where the sword hits the enemy. This would especially help on those spider things (?) where you can only damage them from the front. I wasn't even sure if the sword was hitting them most of the time and it finally made sense after a few of my hits only landed on their face (..and I said "Ha! In your face!). You should at least have a "ding" sound like the sword is hitting armor or something for the hits that do no damage.

The last thing that sort of bothered me is the movement; it needs some dynamics. Whether I'm going down a stairway, swimming in water, or running in a field, my speed is constant. If I were you, I'd focus on fixing this up before anything else (after the saving issue of course) as it will make the game feel much more professional and more polished.

In the end, I'm very impressed! I actually enjoyed playing this and I plan on playing it thoroughly once the save issue is fixed. Good work King T, keep it up!
  • My Music

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2011, 07:08:48 am »
... 7. Saving didn't work for me. When I said save an error popped up: 'Error loading file for writing' or something. I pressed Ignore and the game went on like normal, but it hadn't saved. That could be because my computer is from Germany (That has messed up the save features for other GM games in the past already), or it could be a general problem. ...

Actually, I got the same problem as Sahittam. I'm afraid that you're mistaken King T, unless someone else other than you has been able to save successfully, I believe you may have an actual coding problem.

I have a theory about what might be wrong:
I noticed that there is no "save" file that comes with the game, and the error says that there is a problem opening/loading the save file. Perhaps you are asking in the code to open a file that isn't existing? It would work for you if you already had the save file existing on your computer, but it wouldn't work for anyone else if they did not have that file existing. You need to first ask if there is a save file, and if not it needs to create one before it can write to it.
If this is not the problem, then I'm not sure what it is, but saving to files works fine with other gm games on my computer, so it is definitely a problem with your code.

Anyway, I have got to agree with TDWP FTW (whatever "TDWP" stands for) that the interactivity in the game is amazing! Definitely gives a bit of that good MM feeling. Seriously, well done on that! I don't think the town was too crowded, having all that stuff gave the correct atmosphere that it was a festival and all. I liked that.

I did find the constant voice clips to be a little bit too much. In my opinion, you don't need people to make a noise EVERY time the text box refreshes. Swinging the sword is fun, but hitting enemies is a bit too difficult because the sword is not quite long enough and/or the enemies need to bounce back or act more like they've been hurt when hit. It may also help to have some kind of "hit" particle effect come from where the sword hits the enemy. This would especially help on those spider things (?) where you can only damage them from the front. I wasn't even sure if the sword was hitting them most of the time and it finally made sense after a few of my hits only landed on their face (..and I said "Ha! In your face!). You should at least have a "ding" sound like the sword is hitting armor or something for the hits that do no damage.

The last thing that sort of bothered me is the movement; it needs some dynamics. Whether I'm going down a stairway, swimming in water, or running in a field, my speed is constant. If I were you, I'd focus on fixing this up before anything else (after the saving issue of course) as it will make the game feel much more professional and more polished.

In the end, I'm very impressed! I actually enjoyed playing this and I plan on playing it thoroughly once the save issue is fixed. Good work King T, keep it up!

Ok seriously someone record this error as I'm having no problems over here! I have saved to all three slots and not a single error.

Good to know people didn't find the town too crowded and enjoyed the liveliness

I will implement a new hitting system in Demo 2 when it comes round. I'm too unwell to fix errors. Same with the movement

Sorry but until I feel better, I won't be fixing errors. My head hurts and I am bringing up gunk in my throat so am not feeling well enough. Sorry guys.

EDIT: Thanks to some help from Sahittam, we located the Saving Error source and I've fixed it by putting a ton of barriers.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 03:19:53 pm by King Tetiro »
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2011, 03:40:35 am »
I found a bug/glitch:

Here I am scrolling through the menu. WhenI get out, Link dies.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 07:16:31 am »
I found a bug/glitch:

Hold on that makes no sense. I removed all Killing Link functions by the Controller Object

If you've played any of the demos and liked it, please like the game here
http://www.nintendocfc.com/booths.html#zelda
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:46:53 am by King Tetiro »
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2011, 06:14:22 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
EVERYONE, HERE IS THE SUPER SIMPLE FIX FOR THE SAVING ISSUE:
All you need to do is create a folder named "Save Files" in the game folder. King T simply forgot to add it with the game. Chiming Bells could not save because the path for the file was non-existent. As I said, super simple fix. ;3

I found a bug/glitch:

Hold on that makes no sense. I removed all Killing Link functions by the Controller Object

I just sent you a message that says this but whatever: I believe I have the latest demo, and if you press the "D" key, Link still dies. Also, if you use "D" to scroll through in the menu, Link will die immediately upon exiting the menu, so either you should change the kill key or remove it for demos. Unless you have already released a new demo I missed which has this fixed.
  • My Music

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2011, 09:18:52 am »
Ok could someone please test this Killing Link bug in the NCFC demo? Im getting worried now
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2011, 12:14:27 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Ok could someone please test this Killing Link bug in the NCFC demo? Im getting worried now

Apparently I did not have the latest demo, sorry for worrying you King. There is no death key now, though you're still missing the "Save Files" folder with the latest demo.

EDIT:

I just noticed that it creates the "Save Files" folder now though right after loading. But there is an error where the dark gray loading background does not go away to reveal the menu until you press a key or something. So you can't see what file you're choosing, though you can hear the sounds play when you press keys.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:27:37 am by Frozen炎 »
  • My Music

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2011, 02:13:53 am »

Apparently I did not have the latest demo, sorry for worrying you King. There is no death key now, though you're still missing the "Save Files" folder with the latest demo.

EDIT:

I just noticed that it creates the "Save Files" folder now though right after loading. But there is an error where the dark gray loading background does not go away to reveal the menu until you press a key or something. So you can't see what file you're choosing, though you can hear the sounds play when you press keys.

*Slams head on table*

Could you screenshot this problem please?
  • Phoenix Heart
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 80 queries.

anything