Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to better orient the forum towards fan game development  (Read 9982 times)

Re: How to better orient the forum towards fan g...
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2008, 05:41:57 am »
1. I've stated previously that having the News board public might make integration with the site better.  Users here would be able to post via the forum or the site, and the news through the site would look like it had more information.  As for other things, keep the Staff Profiles page accurate and serious, make the Affiliates more meaningful, etc.  The Weekly can be improved on once there is a place to organize and collaborate with other journalists.

2. I submitted a proposal for this very thing and I have gotten no real response back on it; I assume it died, likely it was because I proposed it.  If there is going to be a Site Staff, it might just be good to have Journalists in that group too since they would essentially have overlapping responsibilities; both on the site, contests use news promotion, covering projects in a news item requires that there be projects on the site, etc.

3. Like I have said as well.  Resources that are available on existing popular sites such as the Spriters Resource should not be hosted here; it doesn't make our resource system better, it makes it seem less honest.  Similar resources should be bunched up.  If the image ripped involves animation, the sub-images should either be animated or oriented on a sheet to where they could easily be animated.

Oh, and while this is a little off the three above, unless the ZFGC Weekly and Big Question Archive board are going to be used soon or for something in the future, they can be deleted; the arrangements have already been made.  The ZFGC Electoral Discussion board can also be made hidden until it is actually used as well to shorten the forum height.
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2008, 04:05:07 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
My two cents on tutorials... When designing them, keep in mind that game design is anything but trivial, there are full-on university courses that take years to get really good at it, and its constantly evolving at a rapid rate. It really is best to start with Intro to Comp Sci type tutorials that teach basic logic and how it applies to games.
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2008, 02:59:42 am »
  • OH LARD IZ PORKCHOP, BUST OUT DA HAPPY SNACKS
Well I imagine in terms of site staff, journalism is going to take a back seat for staff related to approving game development teams and the like. 

Going by Vash's list, the focus is going to foremost on game development and orienting things properly towards that then the more community/other aspects will follow later.

I C'Z U
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2008, 05:40:57 am »
You make it seem as though approving game development teams would be a huge workload in itself, when in actuality the turnout even optimally would be quite low.  Dealing with resources and projects that are submitted to the site is easy as the flow is also low.  If journalists and non-journalists of the site staff help to show and allow what is to be shown respectively, it is paramount that they be integrated. 

A project is something that benefits from being presented well.  If there are grammatical mistakes in that project's summary, having them edited would be good for both the project maker and for news coverage of that project.  Covering a project in the news gets it more attention that it needs for it to continue on. 

Older projects and resources don't get bumped up to the top page even if there is a significant update to them, and this currently makes their progress on the site seem stagnant.  Unless something changes, I think that having an item about project and resource updates would be beneficial.

The news itself serves as the window for which viewers to the site experience it, and this adds to its importance also.  While having the focus be on game development, featuring it alone or too much will lessen the overall appeal of this place.  And it is not as if game development is not mentioned in the current news, it is just that most of the current news has been done by myself alone; having a team would assist in any a progressive direction.  It would be best if I worked directly with those who were brought in to boost development.

So ideally the best thing in my opinion would be for the two groups to just be united under the same banner of being site staff; it is not as if everyone would have to do every site task, only that there would be a task on site for them to do.  What you are thinking is idealistically good, but you need a way for it to be practically feasible.
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2008, 05:58:33 am »
Tying it into the website is the difficult part. :p
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2008, 06:38:36 am »
Tying it into the website is the difficult part. :p

Not sure if you are speaking specifically or generally, but I will discuss further an idea I had in my last post. 

Perhaps a news item that would be posted every week for resource updates.  It would have the title of something like "December 12, 2008 - Resource Update" and would have a message body of images.  The images in the message body would be like the tabs on Spriters Resource; they would be made to link to the resource topics on the site. 

This may sound a little redundant in that there are preview images in the resource areas already, but some of the preview images are actually the entire image or have no relevance to the resources themselves.  It would be something that people find familiar and upon visiting the site, they may find as a useful feature.

As for getting such tab images, I can see them as simply being a formatted square with rounded edges on the bottom and a space for the title on the top.  Graphics would get their own color tab, audio would get colored tabs with a symbol on it of a musical note and a keyword for whether it was a sound effect/composition/etc, tutorials would get a colored tab with a preview of the tutorial if possible and/or with an indication of the language it was made in, etc.

As for getting images, the staff would do some ripping themselves, and user rips themselves would be added if they were made in the previous week.  If an old resource had an update, a staff member could be notified and they could include the update in the next Resource Update.  Once Windy's ripping tool gets more practical, getting resources should not be as difficult as well.

I'll work on a mock-up if you are interested.

Meh, !@#$% it, I might as well post it anyway:

And yeah, it isn't that great of an image, I made it in under ten minutes, but the concept lies therein.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 07:12:52 am by 4Sword »
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2008, 11:40:20 am »
When I developed my resource system (unrelated to the one on the site) I found that tagging "collections" (basically groups of different types resources with the one subject in mind) worked rather quite well.  Because essentially I felt that people go to the resource centre because they're looking for a particular resource.

I had designed it with teams in mind, that people would be working together to gather resources. People could add to collections without having to add actual resources, as individual resources in the collections had 3 different states (Incomplete, WIP, Complete).  So theoretically someone could create lists of what needs to be ripped, then other people could assign themselves to ripping that resource and then mark it off when they're done.  People could also apply restrictions on who could view and edit resources.  The whole idea in general was to allow people to more efficiently manage their resources.

Eventually it probably would have tied into the project centre once I had enough courage to rebuild it (lost it when I forgot to back it up and formatted my hard drive).  So that at some stage you could like tick off collections that you wanted get them compiled into a game maker file (or whatever other formats you can think of) which you could merge with your own project.

I refer to it as my loose team model, where you have everyone working on there own thing, but in doing so they have the potential to inadvertently help everyone else.  Since essentially we all have a common ground here that we could exploit.

Anyway, I dislike trying to get enthusiastic about things and trying to come with these ideas for elaborate systems as things always seem to go wrong when I actually complete them.

Unfortunately, I have the tendency to get rather sidetracked and I've spent the last few days trying to post but can never seem to come up with a good reply, so this'll do me for now >_>;;

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2008, 02:04:23 am »
You make it seem as though approving game development teams would be a huge workload in itself, when in actuality the turnout even optimally would be quite low.  Dealing with resources and projects that are submitted to the site is easy as the flow is also low.  If journalists and non-journalists of the site staff help to show and allow what is to be shown respectively, it is paramount that they be integrated. 

I'm not saying don't do it all, I'm saying focus on one thing at a time.  Approving teams may not be difficult by itself (though you never know with this site) but it takes time, careful planning, and effort to make sure the entire system is set up and run properly.  Once that's mostly done, then focus on other aspects like news and resource integration.

I C'Z U
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2008, 02:22:40 am »
You're equating the number of items in a list of things to do with the difficulty of the entire thing, and it's not that difficult as I said due to how the turn-out is likely to be low. 

Then again, maybe I should plan for the worst/best and assume that there would be less than ten but more than five team applications.  Assuming that a team application is the same as a request for a board, the careful planning you mentioned in your list seems odd to me. 

The only careful planning that would happen in the whole process is the planning of the team prior to submitting their application.  They'd have to meet a certain prerequisite standard, thus applications submitted would be rejected if the prerequisite standards were not met, and otherwise the applications themselves would all be similar.

The only planning after that in terms of the site staff would be to determine if the project was viable, which is subjective in a sense, before it gets approved for everything.  There would also have to be a guideline set up for the removal of the team project's board if it was not up to par.  With the ability to be flexible and refine the system as it goes, the process beyond that runs itself really.

Things shouldn't be halted or put off for an undetermined amount of time prior to something else getting fixed.  The main focus is simply game development and if the sub-foci are not in a way dependent on each other, then they can progress at the same time.

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2008, 02:56:47 am »
Then talk to an admin and see what they say about it.  Ultimately it's up to them how to go about things.  You're clearly set in what you want to do so there's no point in arguing about it except directly with someone who can do something about it.

I C'Z U
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 53 queries.

anything