Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hmm..what do you guys think backwards light would look like?  (Read 1050 times)

hmm..what do you guys think backwards light woul...
« on: July 26, 2006, 03:04:39 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Serious question.  After reading that article on how light travels faster backwards, i've come up with a gun for a game..that reverses lightwaves.  So for the sake of actually having the thing do something, what do you think reversed light would look like?

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
Re: hmm..what do you guys think backwards light ...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 03:18:07 pm »
  • IBV
DARKNESS!!!

NOTE: This text is only here for the purpose to make the post longer and thus look more intelligent and non-spammy.

Seriously though, light can't have a direction. I doubt they mean backwards in the spacedimensions. Haven't read the article though, where is it?
My signature is empty.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 03:22:47 pm »
  • =/
Well, light backwards would probaly be darkness like my friend said above. It could be used, to blend into shadows for your game, so you could aim down, and the whole 30 meter raidius would be dark.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 04:08:14 pm »
Backwards? How can light go backwards, light rays can travel in any direction, so how would you distinguish the backwards vector?

Linkey to article please :).

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 04:10:29 pm »
it's not that the light ius moving backwards, it's just the wavelengths or something..i don't know.

http://www.zfgc.com/index.php/topic,6211.0.html

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 05:38:59 pm »
Th light does not move backwards, but it is returning going the opposite direction.  The whole argument that this "backwards" light moves faster than "forward" light is based on the conjecture that the "backwards" light goes faster due to it arriving sooner at the metamaterial.  The "backwards" light apparently goes fast enough to make contact with the metamaterial just as the normal light does, making in seem instantaneous.  The difference is how the light is refracted in different materials. 

In normal materials, the atomic dipole (atoms and their charges), light is bent more strongly than if they were bent by an elecromagnetic force (metamaterial).  So, I think, that the normal light gets slowed down a little due to passing through the material, and passing through the metamaterial, not so much.  Note, the light appears faster because our eyes were designed to only truly see normal acting stuff.  Compared to the time it takes normal light to go through the object and return to the eye, this "backwards" light looks faster than what we would normally see.  In space or a vacuum, they probably move at near the same if not equal speed.     

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 05:55:08 pm »
The guys simulations are available for download as video files.. Download them and see lol.
Its still just light though.
You could make a gun that creates a beam void of radiation/photons, and make that a dark beam; It could freeze things matter still, and enemies would tear themselves apart as they moved forward (stationary enemies would simply be stunned though, unless the moved in some way), but if you continue with that reverse-light gun, you could call it a Meta-Laser (as it'd be a laser refracted through meta materials anyway .. Well.. Ok the frequency this works on at the moment is very low, but in a future world with lasers, it could be experimented on enough to work with high-frequency waves anyway >_>)

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 06:56:00 pm »
yea, i was actually thinking of using black photons that would tear your enemy apart or dissolve them on contact.

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 09:17:52 pm »
My comment was about a gun that shoots fictional particles that destroy photons and bring all activity to and end, such that the objects shatter, and break as the hit areas contract away from the untargeted areas of an enemy.

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 51 queries.