Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympic Opening Ceremony  (Read 1495 times)

Olympic Opening Ceremony
« on: August 08, 2008, 04:12:09 pm »
I just finished watching it. Pretty awesome. There was an unbelievable amout of fireworks, would've been great to actually be there.
Anyone else seen it?
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 04:14:15 pm »
  • Minalien
I'm not much of an athletics person, the olympics aren't really very interesting to me.

I'm not surprised that there were a lot of fireworks, this is one of the very few major international events.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 04:16:35 pm »
I'm not much of an athletics person, the olympics aren't really very interesting to me.

I'm not surprised that there were a lot of fireworks, this is one of the very few major international events.
Neither am I, but I always enjoy the opening ceremony. At least the first half, watching them introduce all 204 countries wasn't that exciting :P.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 06:14:34 pm »
  • Lul
The opening was awesome o__o The best one I've seen so far. I can't even imagine how much time and planning all of that must have taken...
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 09:11:08 pm »
The opening was awesome o__o The best one I've seen so far. I can't even imagine how much time and planning all of that must have taken...
same, they used alot of money,  I remember hearing that it was the most expensive Opening Ceremony for an Olympic game, I don't like the Olympic games that much, but it was an awesome opening.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 09:36:26 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
The olympics really cripple the nations that host them. I heard that it took 40 billion for China to host the olympics, and it will be probably a decade before they can make that back. I know that it's a national event worthy of recognition, but I personally think they should keep the olympics in Athens, Greece. That way, nations won't spend all of their money setting up the proper facilities to house the immense rush of people and athletes.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 09:48:28 pm »
  • :3
I missed it, unfortunately, but I watched a few minutes of them introducing countries (Australia, China, Zambia). Personally, I !@#$% lol'd at Zambia. There was like 6 people there sandwiched between the two other countries that had hundreds of people, yet they received all the applause. I wish I'd seen the fireworks, though.
Gannon-banned brother.

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 09:54:22 pm »
The olympics really cripple the nations that host them. I heard that it took 40 billion for China to host the olympics, and it will be probably a decade before they can make that back. I know that it's a national event worthy of recognition, but I personally think they should keep the olympics in Athens, Greece. That way, nations won't spend all of their money setting up the proper facilities to house the immense rush of people and athletes.
true that they spend alot but beleive me that the host will duplicate that money in that month, due to all the tourism, so it is not bad.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 10:11:16 pm »
I personally thought the scene where they showed off the art of printing was very cool, where printing cubes went up and down in formations. I thought they were driven by computers and machines, I didn't even consider that there were humans inside doing that !@#$%. The timing required for that (as they can't see eachother at all) is amazing.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 10:12:36 pm »
  • Wu tang Forever
This certainly isn't a bad thing from China's point of view.
It's not like the Olympics were forced on them, they worked really hard to get them, so they obviously think it will work out for them in the long run.
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 11:54:56 pm »
  • Lul

40 billion yuan I hope xP Some articles I find when I google say around 40 billion yuan and others dollars, that's a huge difference x_x

Do you guys think there was lot of propaganda in the ceremony???? They keep saying that in the papers and on tv, it's driving me nuts! People are complaining about really stupid things instead of showing their appreciation to China for spending so much time doing all of this. And not only are they complaining about what was going on inside the "bird's nest", but they're also *beep* about how "clean" and "green" everything had been made outside as if their intention was to fool people into believing something bad... or something!? "Lulz China is one of those type of countries so I wunderz what teh true meaning of all of these nice things they haev done today really is!2lul<." Blah, some people just haave to prejudice everything and everyone <__< Why can't they see it as a way for China to show their respect and gratitude to all countries and people who have come D:
Meow
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:56:28 pm by Tabby »
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 11:58:34 pm »
  • Wu tang Forever
It seems that the media has just decided that China is completely evil.
It's probably going to go on like that for the entire length of the games.
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 12:00:41 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.

40 billion yuan I hope xP Some articles I find when I google say around 40 billion yuan and others dollars, that's a huge difference x_x

Do you guys think there was lot of propaganda in the ceremony???? They keep saying that in the papers and on tv, it's driving me nuts! People are complaining about really stupid things instead of showing their appreciation to China for spending so much time doing all of this. And not only are they complaining about what was going on inside the "bird's nest", but they're also *beep* about how "clean" and "green" everything had been made outside as if their intention was to fool people into believing something bad... or something!? "Lulz China is one of those type of countries so I wunderz what teh true meaning of all of these nice things they haev done today really is!2lul<." Blah, some people just haave to prejudice everything and everyone <__< Why can't they see it as a way for China to show their respect and gratitude to all countries and people who have come D:
Meow
I agree about the propaganda and such. I read in my local newspaper about a reporter who went there, and he said the air was a lot like Los Angeles, so it's not really any different. He also said that everyone was smiling and really nice.

It seems that the media has just decided that China is completely evil.
It's probably going to go on like that for the entire length of the games.
Oh, definetly.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 12:18:08 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
All I saw on the news about it was basically that the ceremony was wonderful, talked about some of the upcoming events and athletes, showed some clips then went off to talk about the Georgia-Russia thing, which got a lot more air-time :P

Meh, I couldn't care less for the Olympics anyway. !@#$% 'em, I wish they had died and the Roman Colosseum has survived to modern times. THAT would be a lot more interesting to watch. Just take the scum from every country and throw them into unarmed combat with a pack of hungry lions live on TV :D
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 02:15:53 am »
I personally thought the scene where they showed off the art of printing was very cool, where printing cubes went up and down in formations. I thought they were driven by computers and machines, I didn't even consider that there were humans inside doing that !@#$%. The timing required for that (as they can't see eachother at all) is amazing.
That was one of my favourite parts too, I couldn't decide whether or not they were people at first. When they popped out at the end I was amazed at how pescise the timing must have been.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 03:58:54 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
Eh, not big on the Olympics, the only thing I'd watch is the ping pong, and even then I'd rather be playing than watching other people play.  I did watch a little bit of the opening ceremony, I don't understand why there has to be such a big show for an athletic event.
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 11:30:25 pm »
The Opening Ceremoney was awesome! It's the best I've ever seen!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 69 queries.