Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LOTR Triple dip  (Read 1363 times)

LOTR Triple dip
« on: August 26, 2006, 03:53:01 am »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
I've kinda kept quiet about it for the last month, because it seems like I complain too much about movies and such.

So what do you guys think about the LOTR triple-dip DVD?

Personally I bought the first two editions, the regular (widescreen of course), and the extended.  I may buy these because I love documentarys on film making (the best documentary on film making that you'll ever see is the one on the Star Wars Episode I DVD-- it's better than the actual movie... not too terribly insightful but a blast to watch).

But I've been thinking about all these double dips, and I don't like it.  Black Hawk Down is by far the worst:
1) Regular DVD
2) Superbit DVD
3) 3-disc collector's DVD
4) Extended DVD

And you'll begin to see the problem.  They simply should have released the extended as a fourth disc with the collector's DVD, and switched the original disc (which is the first in the collector's edition) with the superbit version, and you have a solid 4-disc set for $30, instead of an $80 6-disc set.

But I suppose it's how they make money.  What I really don't like though, is how the extended, and "director cut's" are now a selling point for practically everything ("30 seconds of graphic scenes added!  UNRATED DIRECTORS CUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!").  I mean, I got the King Arthur Director's, but I would have loved to have had a regular widescreen version along with it, instead of frowning that they only released the original cut with fullscreen (how stupid are the consumers getting?).  And Kingdom of Heaven was another fantastic film, and the director's cut DVD is on my top 10 DVDs list.  But do I buy the original?  I mean, it's a different experience with more special features!  But is it worth the $15?  I'm too much of a collector.  When I find a movie I like, I want all the DVDs. <______<

Chronicles of Narnia, I was smart with though.  I got the widescreen 1-disc version, and true to the Disney standard, they've included the second disc from the collector's edition with the 4-disc "extended" set, so I won't be re-buying a disc.

[/rant]
Re: LOTR Triple dip
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 04:51:40 am »
Yeah double-dipping drives me nuts. Especially when it's a movie I really like, and I'm tempted to buy it again because the new cover is better than the one I already own. I haven't done so yet, but I could at any moment. The five disc Dawn of the Dead set (which includes four cuts of the same movie) is especially tasty looking.
The Legend of Zelda: Hall of the Dead
Complete and free Zelda fan game
http://dayjo.org/uncannyvisions/hotd.html
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 09:34:21 am »
  • Fendez Coder
Hmmm, I don't buy DVDs....I just record them when they come on the movie channel :P So I can't udnerstand why you want the movie more than once lol..but yeeeh

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 09:45:24 am »
  • hungry..
I have both the standard LOTR films and the Extended Edition, I also got the Directors cut of Donnie Darko (without the original).
I don't have a lot of money to spend on DVDs, and so dont. But I think if I did have money, I'd buy tons, however I do think that sometime's production companies go over the top with extra DVDs... like with black hawk down.
  • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 10:33:18 am »
I just find it annoying, but I never buy the same movie twice. I mean, I've bought the same game twice because, well, I lost my other copy, but...

I've got a LOTR: TT Extended edition, but I didn't buy it, got it from my uncle in Germany... Back to the Future, The Entire Trilogy, 4-Disc Ultimate Edition. I don't usually go straight for the boxsets.

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 10:37:10 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
I bought the first two versions of LOTR I, II, and III. So ill buy this one two, just for the extra unseen documentary's.
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 07:44:03 pm »
  • hungry..
Well, they do deserve every penny they get to be honest :D
  • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 09:02:12 pm »
Nah... it's New Line that's getting the money, not the people who made the thing.

Anywho, I bought the first LOTR limited edition DVD, and I LOVE IT.

The documentary rivals that of Star Wars Episode I, and is done in the same style! :o

This DVD pwns, I'm going to buy the other two for shizzle.

EDIT: And it also shows plenty of stuff never shown in the movies (much like many of the promotions for the movies do... except this is more in depth).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 09:07:18 pm by 2awesome4apossum »

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 07:21:46 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
Nah... it's New Line that's getting the money, not the people who made the thing.

Peter Jackson made new documentory's for the movie, and his people made the cover art, so they are getting money ^D^
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 04:49:38 pm »
  • hungry..
Plus New Line deserver the money for accepting the job as producer/distributor where all other companies turned it down! :D And i bet those other companies kick themselves for every penny that New Line makes from it :P

Where can you get this DVD btw?
  • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 09:12:38 pm »
Peter Jackson made new documentory's for the movie, and his people made the cover art, so they are getting money ^D^
Nope.  Coasta Botes made the documentaries, and he's already been payed for doing the work.  The cover art was done by Alan Lee and he's already been payed for the design as well.  It's not as if they're getting profit percentages (if it were box office sales, Peter Jackson did make a few percentages as did the big producers, and other BIG names).

Plus New Line deserver the money for accepting the job as producer/distributor where all other companies turned it down!
New Line only gave them $70 million for each movie.  Which classifies it as a low-budget movie.  I'd say that they're making way more than seems fair, although in a capitalistic society, I agree: they deserve it.

Any store that sales new releases of videos and dvds.  It came out the 18th, so hurry and get 'em while they're on sale ;)

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 10:07:30 pm »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
Nope.  Coasta Botes made the documentaries, and he's already been payed for doing the work.  The cover art was done by Alan Lee and he's already been payed for the design as well.  It's not as if they're getting profit percentages (if it were box office sales, Peter Jackson did make a few percentages as did the big producers, and other BIG names).

Plus New Line deserver the money for accepting the job as producer/distributor where all other companies turned it down!
New Line only gave them $70 million for each movie.  Which classifies it as a low-budget movie.  I'd say that they're making way more than seems fair, although in a capitalistic society, I agree: they deserve it.

Any store that sales new releases of videos and dvds.  It came out the 18th, so hurry and get 'em while they're on sale ;)

Sorry I couldnt help myself
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 62 queries.