Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Town in Minish Cap Style  (Read 5189 times)

Town in Minish Cap Style
« on: March 15, 2009, 08:18:47 am »
When I joined ZFGC I found the following town (see attachment) here on ZFGC. It looks really great and I'm trying out to make a town myself. I can't find some of the tiles used in this town in the Minish Cap (like the main road) and the little fountains at the entrance. This means they are custom made.

I am unable to find this image again. I've looked through the graphics resource on the site, but only found a similar looking image. What I'm asking is if I can use the tiles and if so, who do I credit for these?
Re: Town in Minish Cap Style
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:21:25 am »
The map is from the old Community Project.  I can't for the life of me remember everyone who was involved with those tiles.  The only name that comes to mind is Kylink, but there are more.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 12:17:49 am »
I made my own little town. It is a harbor town. I've used tiles from Tilesnet, Spriters Resource and VGmaps. What do you think of it?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 02:23:44 am »
for the first map, credit: King Mob, Tlozpop, Kylink, and me.

If you want to do some harbour tiles check King Mob game thread, in there he has a harbour screenshot.

CrystalAngel04

Resident ZFGC female
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 03:55:04 am »
  • \\*Caution*\\ The Internets: May contain Women
I made my own little town. It is a harbor town. I've used tiles from Tilesnet, Spriters Resource and VGmaps. What do you think of it?

Its a good start but to be honest it is very repetitive and bland. If you take a look at that first map you posted you'll notice that really no two buildings are exactly the same nor are they placed in a structured order. Also yours needs more details I feel. I've never been a fan of the look that comes across when grass tiles are butted up against "tile" tiles with no sort of transition or barrier. The original map in your first post has a nice transition between grass and stone that you may want to look into attempting to incorporate in yours.

As I said before its a good start but it just needs more detail.
  • -= Crystal Angel Creations =-

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 05:33:12 am »
  • Silly cat!
The second one looks kinda more like a Pokemon town :-\. In terms of structure (not content), it doesn't really have that distinct, adventurous feeling that characterise Zelda games. I think it's because you're lining up buildings, and repeating the distinctive ones?

Hoffy.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 03:24:53 pm »
lol when I first saw the map, I also thought it was a Pokemon map or something before I maximized the image. I mean it's a decent start however as Hoffy and CrystalAngel has mentioned, your map does seem to be lacking. Try working your way with a smaller map area so that you're not trying to make a "large" area look good because as you can see, the roads in the map are HUGE and there's a lot of blank spaces. Also, there's no "transition" between some of your ground tiles such as road to grass, and just try to make the buildings more maybe close together so that it doesn't look overly spaced, or add a variety of different ground tiles so that there is more variety/detail. Using the same tiles over and over again with similarly structured buildings are no fun. It is a good start though, you just need to add more details and think about the structure of your town.
Hm... I should probably put something here...

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 03:30:09 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
My only issues with your town are the blandness, and the fact that the stables(?) at the top seem way oversized. The handles on the doors are not level with the ones on the houses, meaning realistically speaking, people would have to each over their head to pull the doors open :P
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 05:48:28 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I've updated the map, moved the buildings around, added vegetation. Mamoruanime, those stables at the top are supposed to be storage warehouses. I guess I messed up a bit with the doors, trying to put in a window. They are big, because a horse and carriage have to be able to go in there.

The stone are may look big and open, but that is because no NPC's, horse and carriages and crates are posted on there. It wasn't my intention to make a mock-up, just to make a custom map. And a harbor is rather open and big when deserted. I got the dimensions from Kakariko Town in ALttP and Hyrule Castle Town from MC. Both are around the 1000 by 1000 pixels. Agreed they have more houses, but the town is in the bottom left corner and the rest is the harbor.

PS: When I look at the town in the first post, I get the feeling of being squeezed in. I like open and deserted spaces.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 05:25:13 am »
  • Silly cat!
Is this your first TMC map? It's pretty good, especially in comparison to my first MC map :P.

The building placement is a little better, and otherwise I'm sure it will come to life with NPCs, and I understand a harbour is usually a big, wide open area, but I'm sure you can other little things; like stalls, crates, ropes, anchors, and other nautical doodads.

Compare (if for no reason at all) to King Mob's harbour:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:28:02 am by Hoffy »

Hoffy.
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 12:08:31 pm »
Well, I did some mapping of Koholinth in LttP style for Jeod, but this is the first map I created without an example. I would love to make a mock-up with all the doodads in place, but I don't have the necessary stuff. I only have the world and dungeon maps, but for the rest I need the following:

- NPC's: for in the village and harbor area,
- animals, like dogs, cats and birds,
- Horse and carriages,
- Crates: Closed crates, open with fish and squids,
- Other boxes and chests,
- A piece of Heart,
- and a boat.
- and some decorating stuff.

I can alter existing tiles, but creating complete new ones is a bit more difficult. I'm not an artist like King Mob and I don't know if he would like it if I just rip his decor and boat, before he has completed his game. If you know where I can get decent stuff, I would love to know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 56 queries.