Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you ever came up with a really good idea for a game...  (Read 869 times)

Have you ever came up with a really good idea fo...
« on: February 20, 2008, 10:13:08 pm »
So for the last few months I've been thinking about making a game and have been trying to learn XNA so that I could.  I was going to call it "Battle-Axe" and it was going to be a side-scrolling action game with rhythm elements similar to Guitar Hero.  The main character's weapon was going to be a supernatural battleaxe that was also a guitar.  Killing enemies would fill up a meter that, when full, would allow you to go into a bullet-time-esque mode with a rhythm mini-game.  Upon completing the mini-game the character would release an automated attack against all on-screen enemies where the amount of damaged inflicted would be based directly on how you performed within the mini-game.  There was a lot more to it than that, but that's the main gist of the overall concept.

You might be wondering why this isn't posted in WIP or Ideas and Concepts forum, and I'll tell you why.  Because of this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6jEk9YOB7s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6jEk9YOB7s</a>
That's right...someone beat me to it. The game is called "The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai" and is already pretty far along in development. Granted, the rhythm aspect of the game seems to be separate from the main gameplay and the main character has a sword instead of an axe, but aside from that this is the game I was planning on making.  The graphical style is exactly what I was planning, the gameplay is exactly how I imagined it in my mind, the music is basically the same style as I was planning, and the game is also being made in XNA.

They've been working on this for a while now, but I hadn't seen or heard of it until just now.  I wish I would have known about this earlier as it would have saved me a lot of time...I have a basic outline of the entire game, (story, level design, character design, etc.), but now I won't be able to use any of it without being seen as a rip-off artist or a copy-cat.  There are differences between this game and the one I was intending to make, but the similarities are so blatantly obvious that there'd be no way to avoid comparisons. The creator of this game even got the opportunity to speak at Microsoft's keynote today at GDC...damnit why didn't I get the chance to make mine first!? I'm pissed...

Anyway, has anything similar to this happened to any of you?  If so, explain what happened.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
Re: Have you ever came up with a really good ide...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 10:48:42 pm »
Way to many times ^.^. But you have to consider the fact that there are millions of games out there at the moment, and only a finite number of ideas, especially if the ideas are just mixs of others. Thus its pretty likely that someone will have attempted it beforehand.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 11:11:06 pm »
It's true.  It's like that for almost anything.  For example, when I was about twelve I designed a musical instrument based on resonating glass-cups.  It turned out I was a few hundred years too late in inventing the "glass armonica"...>_>'
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:19:25 pm »
Yeah. I think they actually broke into my house and found the dozens of drawings I had made about Super Mario 64. Then they go off and make it. :(
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 02:01:53 am »
:'( I invented Pokemon as a lost and confused child. All 1000 of them.
Well, they're not all in yet. That's called "suspense".
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 02:39:46 am »
  • Taste the soup of my brain!
Off-topic much?

Yeah, anyway...  I had ideas for lots of game's main gameplay...  YEARS before they came out.  I can't remember specific ones right now, but I'll just leave it as "It's blatantly obvious that they stole this idea right out of my head".  They were completely random ideas that weren't related to any game already on the market when I had them, too...  That's just the global consciousness for you, though.
She'll pull out your feathers for her brand new hat and when she's done that she'll feed you to her cat.
People you love will turn their backs on you.  You'll lose your hair, your teeth. Your knife will fall of its sheath, but you still don't like to leave until the end of the movie.
If I threw my guitar out the window, so far down, would I start to regret it?  Or would I smile and watch it slowly fall?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 50 queries.