Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Zelda II Remake/Revamp Public Releases - 008  (Read 17444 times)

Zelda II Remake/Revamp Public Releases - 008
« on: September 27, 2015, 12:59:10 am »
Just leaving this here for anyone to test out.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8VUEtb3NKY3hZUzA/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8eElmR0tZbTdMN2c/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8bjN3ZzFRTURSd3M/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8RDNqOGZFQ2E5eEU/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8YTdUZ2FoemVsaG8/view?usp=sharing
006a
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8dUJ1b3hqUTFITEk/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8YjlPVjRHZ2djVGM/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8SEZHbm95dzYwRlE/view?usp=sharing

It's a fully functioning "walk demo", however , it is also much more.
In my ever on-going quest to revamp Zelda II into a more traditional format, I finally decided on what items would replace the spells(since spells replaced items from Zelda to ZeldaII).
Zelda II was never a huge game in itself.  The RPG system just gives a false impression of a larger game.  That said, you'll see a minimum inventory.
Spells to Item Replacement
- Jump : Hookshot  |  Overworld and dungeons from the 2nd one to the Great Palace are being laid out to accommodate hookshot puzzles to replace the now defunct Jump spell
- Life Spell : Bottles  |  Two quests (Missing Mirror and Healing Waters) will now grant an empty bottle each upon completion which will be able to hold a fairy, red potion, or green potion.  Sorry, no Blue Potion - have to keep some sense of difficulty since it is Zelda II.  Fairies replace extra lives as there will be no extra lives.
- Thunder : Thunder Medallion  |  Should be self-explanatory.
- Fire : FireRod  |  Again, self-explanatory.
- Fairy is gone completely.  There will be no need of such a spell in a psuedo 3d world as opposed to the original 2d platforming world of Zelda II.  Instead, new puzzles are being created for an item pulled from LTTP - Cane of Somaria.
- Reflect : Mirror Shield  |  No longer a spell, reflect will be taken care of by a permanent Mirror Shield.
- Shield completely removed.  In order to provide some sense of difficulty in going to an easier gameplay style(LTTP), Shield was removed.
- Spell completely removed.  In the original Zelda II, this did some funky stuff to some enemies and raised a temple that housed the simple-to-get Magic Key.  Now, when conditions are met, a sage reveals the temple.  The temple no longer just has the key, but will be another dungeon.  After defeating the boss of that dungeon, the player will be presented with the Magic Key.

Now, to make it more traditional, other items were changed.
-The Hammer is now a useable weapon as well as being able to break certain rocks.
-The Power Gauntlet can be used to lift certain rocks as well as allow Link to break some tiles.
-A Mystic Branch is now required to find the hidden forest village.  In Zelda II, Link used the Hammer to clear a forest tile to reveal the hidden village.  Now, the player must complete a side-quest to see reveal the hidden village.
-The Boots have been revamped into LTTP Pegasus Boots and will be required to transverse some water tiles to get to the temple in the water.  Can also be used offensively to attack certain planned enemies.
-Flute/Ocarina is remaining the same for the moment.  Still indecisive about adding a warping system that utilizes the Flute similar to LTTP.
-The Cross of Truth will reveal hidden enemies and items in similar fashion to Zelda II's Cross and the Lens of Truth, but will be passive and cost no magic.

Here are the controls for now:
Arrow Keys move Link and control the cursor in the inventory screen.
Press Enter to open/close the inventory screen.  This also pauses the game.
Press A to use an item in the overworld.
Press S to swing your sword.  If in the inventory screen, it selects the item under the cursor.  If in dialogue, goes to next phrase or ends the conversation.
Press D to grab onto a pushable object(such as the block created from the Cane).  Still WIP, but functions.  If by an NPC or readable object, enters dialogue sequence.  If nothing is near-by and you have the boots, allows you to dash.

Life and Magic meters are at full length to give you an idea of how much you will have in the final product should you be able to find all the containers.
Magic Level is set to the maximum to allow you to use the magic items more extensively.

I am happy with how bombs work.  I like to leave the ability of throwing bombs to Link to the Past.  Having a little animation of Link placing the bomb is good enough for me.

Hope you enjoy.  I am open to any suggestions.  I couldn't find any good sprites of the Ether Medallion from LTTP, so I improvised and made my own Thunder Medallion animation using Agahnim's Lightning bolt from LTTP.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:12:41 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Koh

Re: Zelda II Remake/Revamp Inventory Test
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 01:36:07 am »
  • Tamer Koh
Just looking at the list, there's only one thing that makes me scratch my head.  Why is the jump spell replaced with the Hookshot, and not the Roc's Feather or Cape?  Those would be more interesting, since it adds a Z-axis to the equation.
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 01:47:23 am »
Just looking at the list, there's only one thing that makes me scratch my head.  Why is the jump spell replaced with the Hookshot, and not the Roc's Feather or Cape?  Those would be more interesting, since it adds a Z-axis to the equation.

Interesting = more things to code, more code to change in the existing system, etc.
Not only would I have to do height checks just on landing, now I have to check on enemies, bosses, trees, different planes.

That, and Roc's Feather was created to fill the problem of not being able to jump in sidescrolling sequences in LA.  This Zelda II revamp will have no such 2d side scrolling sequences, hence, no need for the item.

Hookshot fulfills the need to move from one platform to the next and also introduces ways of killing enemies/bosses as far as combat is concerned.  The Roc could have been used to keep the down thrust mechanic, but again, now we are talking more code than the hookshot.

It's a design choice that was easy for me since the hookshot is one of my favorite recurring items in Zelda history.

If those answers don't satisfy the question, then this should: because I don't like the GB games as much as LTTP.  This project is based on Zelda II mixed with LTTP, not Zelda II mixed with all other Zelda games.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 02:19:05 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
I had once given thought to a Zelda II remake in Minish Cap style (because now I can't think about Zelda fangaming in any style other that that one! :P ). It is true that ALttP has no jump mechanic, so hookshot will be an interesting replacement. Considering also that Jump Spell is the second one in the game, having a hookshot early would throw me off somewhat.

(Actually, I just thought of something: there is a z-axis exploit within the Pegasus Boots code, which is a part of the sequence when Link runs into a wall and gets knocked back. I remember that there's once place in Ganon's Tower in ALttP that requires this exploit in order to get to a room with pots and fairies.)
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 01:09:34 am »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8eElmR0tZbTdMN2c/view?usp=sharing

Added quite a bit today:
-Full Heart Containers
-Heart Pieces
-Hearts
-Bomb Pickups (1 and 4)
-Shield now drawn in idle and walking animations
-Two NPCS, one of which gives you bombs and starts you on a quest(obviously, not a completable quest at this time)
-Text Box System
-Link Holding Up An Item

There is a weird glitch that I cannot seem to recreate.  Sometimes after finished the dialogue with the sage with the book, the object that gets created of Link holding an item does not get created and you are left in limbo.  I saw this glitch once, and have not been able to replicate it.

D talks to an NPC.
S continues the conversation.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 01:11:34 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Cool!  I like where you are going with this.  Two minor suggestions.  Shouldn't getting a heart piece play the animation where Link holds it over his head?  Also talking to NPCs is extremely slow (You should also be able to talk to them from the sides).  The text should be generated faster and there needs to be button to press to go even faster or even fill the box instantly with text (If this mechanic is already in there I missed it).  Unless of course the way it works now is supposed to be a throwback to Zelda 2.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 05:39:56 pm »
Cool!  I like where you are going with this.  Two minor suggestions.  Shouldn't getting a heart piece play the animation where Link holds it over his head?  Also talking to NPCs is extremely slow (You should also be able to talk to them from the sides).  The text should be generated faster and there needs to be button to press to go even faster or even fill the box instantly with text (If this mechanic is already in there I missed it).  Unless of course the way it works now is supposed to be a throwback to Zelda 2.
First suggestion: No.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p3KBdfsdTU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p3KBdfsdTU</a>
Scroll to 48:45
A text box appears.  I was thinking of adding the textbox, but this is 2015 - people should know what a heart piece by now.
Full containers are similar to the way they were in LTTP.

Second suggestion: I was planning on adding an option where the player can set the text rate in the file select screen.  Thus, the issue with slow text will be taken care of.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:10:11 pm by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 08:44:34 pm »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8bjN3ZzFRTURSd3M/view?usp=sharing

In this build, I removed a few items.  I also changed the global status of some quests so that you can now obtain items from a couple sages.
- adding dashing(but no slamming into the walls just yet)
- completed the dialogue sequences of the first three sages(You are not able to access it all, might spoil the fun)
- added complete working sequence of finishing a dungeon
    On this topic of finishing a dungeon, do not worry if the night time overlay is drawn.  When you are in a dungeon, no overlay will exist.

I suppose I should rename this thread to a more appropriate title since this is more of a pre-alpha daily-ish release log complete with downloads.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: Zelda II Remake/Revamp Public Releases - 003
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 03:42:36 pm »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8RDNqOGZFQ2E5eEU/view?usp=sharing

Build 004

-removed more items from being in your inventory at game start
-added big chests
-added item dialogue after opening big chests
-added another room with level transitions
-few bug fixes
-faster text
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: Zelda II Remake/Revamp Public Releases - 005
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 06:14:43 am »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8YTdUZ2FoemVsaG8/view?usp=sharing

Build 005

-fixed some inventory bugs
-added a flag to find the Mirror(the green box in the chest room)
-stairwell transitions completely finished
-added a new room for testing switches and torches
-added torches and lighting system

Now, the lighting system is not 100%.  The only thing to finish is drawing Link, his sword (if it's out), and his shield (if it's out) if you do not have the Eternal Lantern.  Right now, it is "realistic" in that everything is drawn over with black.  Now, iirc, LTTP still drew Link even if you didnt have the Lantern, but not too sure.  The aim is going to be like AoL and draw Link, sword, and shield into a blue color. 

My system works with a surface, so still figuring it out.  Wanted to post and upfate anyway since  missed yesterday.  Ended up publishing Curse Engine to the YoyoGames Marketplace and that took about6 hours to remove all IPs and comment the code.  :P 
Good news is, it is already selling, so I hope you excuse me from not posting an update yesterday. 
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 12:21:00 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Now, iirc, LTTP still drew Link even if you didnt have the Lantern, but not too sure.

(From the SNES version)

The overlay does affect Link's color. See the hat in the screenshot above, which is a darker shade than it should be on the back side.
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 12:26:55 am »
I already knew about that, I meant if you never collected the lantern, if that was even possible in LTTP - I never actually tried.
As far as how the overlay is drawn, I already have it the way it was in LTTP, I just didn't have it that way when I uploaded 005.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 06:35:59 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
I already knew about that, I meant if you never collected the lantern, if that was even possible in LTTP - I never actually tried.
The lamp is not permanently missable, and is required.

As far as how the overlay is drawn, I already have it the way it was in LTTP, I just didn't have it that way when I uploaded 005.
You mean in rooms with low light (like, only one torch lit)?

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 06:51:29 am »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8dUJ1b3hqUTFITEk/view?usp=sharing
Build 006a

-fixed some memory leaks I missed
-added a warp via playing the Flute while on a Flute Warp Pad
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: Zelda II Remake/Revamp Public Releases - 006...
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 02:23:39 am »

No new release, but I wanted to show that I was changing some stuff and still doing work.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 12:21:38 am »
  • You can have my Heart! I have no use for it.
What you got so far feels pretty solid! What is the platform you are using to build this remake? And I was wondering if you will add a easy mode or will the remake be a hard as the original?

Zelda Untitled - Demo coming soon!
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 02:11:58 am »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8YjlPVjRHZ2djVGM/view?usp=sharing
Build 007

Based on recommendations of some friends, I have replaced the health meter with traditional hearts.  This was quite a bit of work as well as changing the magic meter to be symmetric to the hearts.

-all levels set to 1
-added enemy parent object
-added a simple Gel type monster: it cannot hurt you, but it can be hurt and destroyed, thus giving the player some EXP
-no game over added, but you can test the Heart engine by pressing the - key on the numeric pad.  It will subtract your health by 1
In the first alpha release, you will not be able to go below 0 health, thus preventing any issues and triggering a game over.

Next release:
-Full Level up Engine
More work than you would think will be going into this as I have a really awesome idea to encourage the player to level up.  The leveling system will also be much more streamlined than the original Zelda II.  Whenever a player levels up in the next release, they can immediately choose Attack, Magic, or Defense.  Depending on the choice, the next required amount of EXP for a level-up will be modified with attack increasing the new needed EXP by the most and Magic increasing by the least.

I chose this approach to make the entire level-up process more direct than Zelda II where you could skip a level up to grab a different attribute.  The change is that instead of static EXP amounts to gain an increase the in specified state, you will have to balance how you level up as EXP requirements can drastically increase if you choose to stack Attack levels before any other level.

The other reason for this was a new approach to balance the entire game.  Zelda II was balanced not only by the rpg system, but also by player knowledge and skill in platforming and combat.  As I transition Zelda II into a more traditional over-head control scheme, much of the skill required by the player will be reduced since insta-deaths will no longer be in the game and platforming will no longer be in the game.  I decided to revamp the RPG system as a means of balancing the difficulty.

I think players will enjoy it in the end.

What you got so far feels pretty solid! What is the platform you are using to build this remake? And I was wondering if you will add a easy mode or will the remake be a hard as the original?
Just Game Maker Studio Professional with only plans to release a Windows version.  If I pick up the html5 module, I would export to that to make accessibility to any modern platform with a modern web browser.
There will be no easy mode, but the game itself should be much easier as the focus will no longer be on combat and platforming as the original Zelda II was.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: Zelda II Remake/Revamp Public Releases - 008
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 02:11:36 am »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49_4X0jDFp8SEZHbm95dzYwRlE/view?usp=sharing
Build 008

-added a full working concept of the level up engine
-changed exp points gained from gels from 2 to 10 for faster level up testing
-monster can now be hurt by bombs(bombs deal 2 damage)
-tweaks to misc code here and there
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:14:25 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 01:41:38 am »
Wow, been awhile already.  Sorry for delays.  Interesting job situation going on over here for me.  Anyway, I jumped back onto coding this bad boy.
You can check the attachments to see that I am working on my "simple" save/load system.  I figured the next release should have a working title and file select screen complete with name entry and such.  Just blowing out the INI side of things tonight.

The 17th was my birthday and all that.

So, now I am currently a wireless cell phone dealer employee for a major no-contract carrier, which is cool.  That's what I have been upto for the past couple weeks.  Was working that and a Tim Horton's job at the same time, but the people at Tim Horton's don't like the idea that I prefer the wireless job (pays way more) to the coffee job in terms of schedule priority, so it looks like I won't be working two jobs.

What's really awesome is that my new employer is allowing me some serious creative freedom with the brand and intellectual properties for our local store.  Already blew his mind with my graphics design for the company, so maybe an actual career might be in the near future instead of 9-5 jobs.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2015, 12:29:04 am »
Bleh, I hate text-only updates.  Work is keeping me occupied a but.

A nice working concept of the title screen is finished.
Currently working on File Select Screen.  I coded most of it at work and posted it to my Google Drive.  I had a bunch finished already but migrating my pc from Windows 7 to Windows 10 was no where near as painless as m$ claimed.

The stuff that didn't matter like Steam games are fine.  For some reason, the few hours of work I put into Zelda II disappeared as well as the main Projects folder for GMS stuff.  The backups and cache folders are still present, so I don't understand why folders in the same location just aren't there anymore.

It's my own fault as I thought I had everything backed up before I went to 10(not liking the OS btw).  I was working on Zelda II on my laptop and did an online backup on October 20th so only a few hours were lost(work put into a file select screen before I made the title screen).

So, since I did it all once before, shouldn't be too hard again.  Was mostly ini filework and code to work with ini files.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 78 queries.