Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Site Ready for Public Testing  (Read 9521 times)

New Site Ready for Public Testing
« on: February 01, 2010, 05:33:22 am »
Today I've decided that the new site is ready to begin initial testing.

The new website is essentially a complete remake of the current site, mainly focusing on non-visible changes, like fixing mark up and restructuring back end code.  There are however a few new changes that I would consider a necessity, such as searching feature for projects/resources and other minor things.

There are a few features that are currently not working as expected as they haven't been fully implemented, like the chat and statistics page.

The new site is tied to a new installation of SMF2 RC2 so in order to test some things you will be required to register beforehand.

If you do find some bugs or have any comments it is recommended that you post them here.  I thoroughly encourage everyone to give it a go.

The link to the new site is http://wwfan.zfgc.com/new/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:46:24 am by 4Sword »
Re: New Site Ready for Public Testing
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 07:20:55 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I haven't run into any problems so far. I've got to say that I LOVE THE SEARCH FEATURE!!! That is a very good move there for sure. So far I have no dislikes; it's looking great!

So.. maybe I'm just a little behind since I haven't been on ZFGC for a while (couple weeks or so), but... what's with the new site? Is it going to be the new official site and this one is going to be scrapped? Also, should we post anything there yet or not? I just don't really see any info about what's going on; it seems like this came out of nowhere.  :huh:
  • My Music
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 07:32:07 am »
As far as I know that is just a test forum/site so that Windy could work on this without running into issues with the current forum/site; it's harder to work on something being actively used and also quite cluttered. Not sure if it has been added yet either, but like I said in the staff section, the Graphics part of the site would benefit greatly if it would have GIF support; which would be for animated GIF files to be posted, this would also help and make common the tagging system.

Oh, and the redesigning the site came about as an acknowledgment of the current site's inability to majorly integrate itself with the forum. This caused people to not post projects to the site or if they would, updating their project wouldn't make it appear with more priority on the site. While some redundancy is unavoidable, having a forum and site too separate is inefficient and counter-productive. Also some of the DICKBUTT features sucked, team functionality wasn't well supported, and the layout needed some eye-candy revisions. This isn't to lessen what Infini first put out there, but an improvement which builds off of his intention for the better as well.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:33:45 am by 4Sword »
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:12:54 am »
Well, I found something you might want to alter in the final version:

* When replying with the attachements it says: "Restrictions: 4 per post, maximum total size 192KB, maximum individual size 128KB"

* From the forum there is no Link back to the frontpage of the site.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 08:21:47 am by Niek »
New Site Ready for Public Testing
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 12:11:15 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
It would also be nice to have quick and easy access between the home and the forums. As it is right now, I'm fairly certain that the only way to get to the "new ZFGC page" from the forums is by using the back button (of course you can manually enter the url as well).
At the very least, the forum could open in a new tab.

LOL, and I just realized that Niek already brought up this issue, so I guess I second that. ;p
  • My Music
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 03:53:59 am »
yeah, that will change once i've done the theme, at the moment i've been holding it off due to the ongoing issues within the smf community.

Essentially for the purposes of the test I want it to be treated as it were the real site.  Although I don't particularly care if someone were to upload for example, fake projects and resources or those that are already on the current site, just as long as they're using it in a normal manner.  Like, if I were to put it up like it is now, would we run into any issues from just normal operations.  Naturally though I would still be interested if you found other bugs for example, hecking the crap out of it to find flaws etc.

Also, just to note, when posting resources and projects it should post a topic for it on the forum, also for projects, if you change it's status (ie. from WIP to completed) it should move the topic to that board, anything you post in the project news will create a topic inside the project updates board and any reports you make should end up in the reports board.

At the moment, I'm a bit on the edge about whether to include gifs, as looking at it from a broad perspective (ie. not just game maker) I'm not sure that it's a good format to have resources in.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 04:05:28 am »
  • Minalien
Needs more IP.Board 3, Windy. D:

Edit:
Also,

An Error Was Encountered

Unable to load the requested class: stafflib

when trying to add staff profile. :(
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:09:23 am by MiNalien »
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 09:21:22 am »
Okay I thought I test out uploading to the graphics resources. I have a whole bunch of MC maps and packed them in a rar file. Now it says I am not allowed to do that and I have to upload all those maps separately. Meaning I have to copy in the same description 42 times and the tags 42 times.

That kind of sucks.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 01:21:18 pm »
True.  But I feel the long term benefits are worth it.  To me archive formats promote ambiguity and makes it harder to find things as you can't search in the archive nor can you tag anything individually.

The other reason is that some of the ideas that I have which I might execute in the future would require this "openness", to be able to operate effectively.

At some stage I did think about adding a batch option, but the effort required to do so far outweighed the convenience as I highly doubt that most people will be ripping that much on a daily basis.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 12:01:04 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
If I click the community tab, I get the following error page:

Quote from: 404'd!!!
Not Found

The requested URL /new/http://wwfan.zfgc.com/new/forum/index.php/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
WebServerX Server at wwfan.zfgc.com Port 80

This happens whether I am logged in or not.
  • My Music
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 07:13:09 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I just tried to upload my new Link sprite sheet and got this error:

A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Filename: libraries/Resources.php

Line Number: 78

Fatal error: Call to a member function createTopic() on a non-object in /srv/www/zfgc.com/public_html/wwfan/new/system/application/libraries/Resources.php on line 78

When I tried again, it told me that it has already been submitted, but it is not there, I checked.

Sad day.. :'(
  • My Music
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 08:43:22 am »
Went through it just now, those issues should be fixed.
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 09:52:40 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Went through it just now, those issues should be fixed.

LOL! Now I get this when I try to upload my sprite sheet:
A Database Error Occurred

Error Number: 1136

Column count doesn't match value count at row 1

INSERT INTO `ci_resources` (`description`, `file`, `ip`, `last_updated`, `member_id`, `preview`, `time_created`, `title`, `topic_id`, `type`) VALUES ('I started with the main character of Cave Story and went from there, so I consider this to be a "Cave Story Style" Link. Still, it has changed so much that it is my own thing. You don't need to credit me if used, but credit is always nice.\n\nLink's actions include:\nWalk, jump, look, push, pull, carry, check, get item, throw, hurt, death, sit, blink while standing, sheath sword, draw sword, 4 ground slashes, stab attack, spin attack, lunge attack, slash attack in air, upward and downward stabs, defend with shield, and dodging backward and forward.\nThis sheet contains three sets of all these actions, each with a different tunic color (green, blue, and red).\n\nNote: The sheet also contains the palette I used.', '321e6cf6fb6423abde46d711c626864e.png', '24.20.94.10', 1266245361, 8, '321e6cf6fb6423abde46d711c626864e_thumb.png', 1266245361, 'Custom Platform-Style Link (16x16)', 2)
:-\

EDIT:
Oh crap! WTF? I tried it twice and got the same error. I didn't think it did anything, but it made posts on the forum... ??? Still, nothing in graphics resources.

.. And it posted in "audio" but I was uploading in graphics, I'm sure of it.

I was going to delete the posts it made, but I left them just in case you might need to see them to figure out the problem.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:58:12 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music

Serge

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 10:44:42 am »
You better fix the [nobcc]
Quote from: [email]email@email.com[/email]
[/nobbc] bug ;P. Causes the script to go into an infinite loop.

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 03:00:01 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
I tried uploading a graphic too, apparently 112 kb was too big for the first one I tried, as for my second attempt it gave me the same error as FrozenFire, and it posted my description in the audio forum like it did with his.

Also, I think I found the reason it said your file was already submitted FF. If you try clicking back and using the same form again after having clicked submit the site thinks your file went through and it won't allow you try again until you open a new submit resource form.
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 05:36:19 pm »
You better fix the [nobcc]
Quote from: [email]email@email.com[/email]
[/nobbc] bug ;P. Causes the script to go into an infinite loop.
That's an issue with smf.

I tried uploading a graphic too, apparently 112 kb was too big for the first one I tried, as for my second attempt it gave me the same error as FrozenFire, and it posted my description in the audio forum like it did with his.

Also, I think I found the reason it said your file was already submitted FF. If you try clicking back and using the same form again after having clicked submit the site thinks your file went through and it won't allow you try again until you open a new submit resource form.
I've made some changes, so hopefully there won't be any more unexpected errors.
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 06:57:02 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Got it to upload, but one of my tags was "16x16" and it came up as simply "x". I tried to edit it but it said I cannot because I do not have permission; I am not allowed to edit my resource...
Actually, I can't delete it either for the same reason.

Another thing I think is a problem: I can remove the topic on the forums (I just did for my resource), but still have the resource. This means there can be a problem if I click, "discuss this resource", as the page will no longer be there.

In the same way, if I could delete the actual resource, wouldn't the topic for it still exist? This just seems like a problem; they need to both be deleted at the same time whenever either of them is deleted.
  • My Music
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 08:19:03 am »
I made a few changes, so you should be able to edit/delete your own resources, I also disabled the ability to delete the topic on the forum, it will delete itself once you delete the resource.

As for the tags, I have it set up so it removes all non-alphabetical characters.
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 09:10:01 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I still can't delete the first resource that I added. I also re-uploaded the same resource again, but without the numerical tag. Now both are there and I still can't edit or delete either of them.

Also, I still have the ability to delete the forum topic. At least, the "remove" option is still there. I didn't click it to see if it does the same thing as before.

It looks like nothing has changed..?
  • My Music
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 11:56:51 am »
I still can't delete the first resource that I added. I also re-uploaded the same resource again, but without the numerical tag. Now both are there and I still can't edit or delete either of them.

Also, I still have the ability to delete the forum topic. At least, the "remove" option is still there. I didn't click it to see if it does the same thing as before.

It looks like nothing has changed..?
It seems my previous fix didn't work, I found out that SMF doesn't load the default board permissions by default, so that's why you were unable to edit/delete resources, so I had to create my own function to do it.

Also if you click the Remove button it seems that it will tell you that you are unable to delete the topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 124 queries.