Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda [Working Title] Story Update  (Read 3696 times)

The Legend of Zelda [Working Title] Story Update
« on: January 10, 2007, 12:22:09 am »
Ok. I wanted to delete my old topic because I've just put in a couple of painstaking hours to add lifitng and throwing to my engine, as well as porting over some code for pushing. It has taken my lots of thought into how to get it just right, as well as to look like the original. The actual movement of the thrown object isn't perfected yet, but lifting and walking with the object is, even so much as the object bouncing up and down with Link's steps. Please, please give me feedback on how lifting/throwing, sword, and pushing work. EDIT: I found a small bug in the lifting part. It isn't much, just a positioning error. I fixed it.

Arrow Keys = Move/Push
Z = Sword Swing
S = Lift Object and Throw Object
Enter = Restart Room.

The patch system is out of this demo.

DOWNLOAD LINK
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 05:39:01 am by Scooternew »
Re: The Legend of Zelda [Working Title] (Midnigh...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 12:33:22 am »
Just a question, will the patch system make a return?
the a o d c
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 12:35:44 am »
Possibly. Why? Do you like it? I'm not going to be using it now, but I may consider using it later. But this isn't something that will have major updates after the final game is finished, so I might not need it. If you want to use it, though, I can show you how I made it and give you the source code for it. I don't care.

Please, though, how was the lifting/throwing? (I just fixed a few errors and I'll reupload in a sec).
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:41:03 am »
  • srsly, <3
Pushing was fine, maybe just make him push it a little quicker after you are running into it.

As for picking up/throwing, picking it up seems fine. Just sync up the "bouncing" of the rock above his head a bit more, it seemed off. Also throwing the rock seemed to fly away from the player too fast. And I'm sure you're working on something to be able to put it down when not moving, and debris when the rock is thrown?
avvy made by: TheBlackMarket
  • my site
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 12:46:46 am »
These things are all a yes. The synching, yes, I noticed that problem. I'm not exactly positive how it is done in the original. As for flying fast, look at the original Minish Cap. It flies away about that fast, if not faster. It'll look better once debris is added, as well as a shadow. And yes, I'm going to give the option later on to place rocks down *probably*. But not right now.

As for pushing speed, I like it. I don't want the player to accidentally begin pushing too soon. It isn't THAT long anyway.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 12:48:48 am »
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=12586.msg133027#msg133027

Scooter, did you look? I see your winking isnt perfect =(.

As for the game, it was nice. Thje green background blinded me though... Plus, it seemed odd without the smashing animation. Add it in next time :P
the a o d c
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 01:06:50 am »
Thanks. Did all that lifting !@#$% work?

Also, I can't find the destruction animation. If you have it, or know where to get it, PLEASE tell me.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 01:20:25 am »
  • =/

Didn't exactly have enough rocks so I had to improvise.  :)

Anyway, it is a really good engine you have going there. No real glitches or anything though I was frustrated not being able to pull.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 01:23:12 am »
Can you pull in Minish Cap? If you know of a place to pusha nd pulll objects, please tell me, so I can go there in my ROM and study it.

Thanks. I still have the older LTTP engine, but I did stupid stuf fwith it. Hopefully this will turn out better. It seems to have already, + Minish Cap graphics kick major ass.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 01:32:39 am »
Thanks. Did all that lifting poo work?

Also, I can't find the destruction animation. If you have it, or know where to get it, PLEASE tell me.
Whoa, thats odd. Request a rip in Zelda art section... Its odd that such a small anim is not available.
the a o d c
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 02:35:52 am »
Ok. I ended up ripping it myself. I'm not good at it, but I think I got it.

Here is an uploaded version, with the shatter effect, and some improvements, as well as a small few bug fixes, to the lifting and throwing.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 06:09:15 am »
Excuse my bump, but I've done something that really is nice. I've made the rock's bumping up and down match exactly Link's movement. It took quite a while, but the result is well worth it. Please comment on it.
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 06:16:09 am »
  • srsly, <3
very nice. huge difference with the "movement sync" and the debris after being thrown. great job :)
avvy made by: TheBlackMarket
  • my site
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 03:36:24 pm »
  • Credits to BaB
Just played it.
I must say this is looking VERY good, it's just too bad you don't have the same features as your old engine did (rain, fairy, well all the things that didn't depend on the graphic style). It's a shame you didn't find the correct destruction animation, and that no one rips it for you. This one looks incomplete, but it might me be, since I've only played MC once or twice. Apart from that, please add a bg music to your engine, it just makes it easier for us to play it. I was very surprised by the pushing sound, I know it's beta, but you could have put in something better :P

So it's all looking extremely good! One thing I'm seriously looking forward to is your adding the "Place movement", as in, if you don't move and you are carrying an object, press S and Link just places it on the ground, without throwing it. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take you too long to code, since it's playing the lifting animation backwards :P

Anyhow, keep up with the engines, this looks very promising! Sword swinging is a top notch!
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 09:16:35 pm »
It's a shame you didn't find the correct destruction animation, and that no one rips it for you.
Trust me, i know the frustration :(

Thanks, thanks, and thanks. I have my old engine - I could just port over code. But certain graphical styles don't match.

I'll definitely put in placing down rocks. Actually, this'll be something I'll put in later.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 09:33:40 pm by Scooternew »
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 09:22:03 pm »
its hard finding stuff (worth using) for MC
especially if you want to venture beyond a walking demo :)

My Child Is Student of The Month at Neverland Ranch!
  • SSEdit
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 09:34:18 pm »
Why yes, yes it is.

Here's what I've decided: I've decided to make the textbox in my game always realtime, no matter what. It'll be more realistic, and it looks silly when the game freezes anyway. It'll also lead to much bad-asser looking cutscene, where I can have action on screen as well as text. Also, I'm probably going to be using a generic font that probably looks like the Minish Cap font, unless I can find the Minish Cap font with all of the characters and everything intact. If anyone has these kinds of things, or any MC graphics, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 09:53:32 pm by Scooternew »

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 10:25:32 pm »
  • With a Capital G
Can you pull in Minish Cap? If you know of a place to pusha nd pulll objects, please tell me, so I can go there in my ROM and study it.

Some objects you can only push, like those square stones, flipped-over tortoise enemies, or certain bookshelves (as a Minish), and some you can Grab onto and then push or pull, like the pegs with treasure chests on top. I should be able to think of more, since I just played through the game a few weeks ago. :P

I'll check out the demo soon. Rushed at the moment, sorry.
Re: The Legend of Zelda [Working Title] Story Up...
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 05:41:59 am »
Aha. Thanks.

It looks as if I'll have to abandon my nightmare story. I don't want to be caught "copying" Shadowgazer, even though I've had my ideas for ages :D.

I'm brainstorming, and I think it'd be really cool for my story to revolve around animals. Somehow, peaceful animals have been transformed into monstrous, evil creatures. Dungeons could, for example, be a massive birds nest, a zoo, or a bear's cave. While soudning stupid in writing, theoretically it could lead to some really cool puzzles and ideas. Just I'm thinking of ways to develop the story so it won't be extremely weird and cheesy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 76 queries.

anything