Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: July 27, 2008 - ZFGC Weekly  (Read 3756 times)

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
July 27, 2008 - ZFGC Weekly
« on: July 27, 2008, 05:00:54 pm »
  • b e p i s

Volume 1, Issue 2 - July 27, 2008
irc.windfyre.net #zfgc
This week’s banner courtesy of Yubel

Hello members, and welcome to another issue of ZFGC Weekly! Here’s what’s in this week’s issue:

1. Community Announcements (Ctrl+F CA0102)
2. Best of the Forum (Ctrl+F BF0102)
3. The Big Question (Ctrl+F BQ0102)
4. Featured Project: The Zelda Fan Game Central Fan Fiction and an interview with its creator, Kylink (Ctrl+F FP0102)

Community Announcements (CA0102)
-- The future of ZFGC and where we want to go with the forum, if anywhere, is currently being discussed in the Announcements forum. You can view the topic here: http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=29837.0

-- The deadline for our latest game development contest ends this Friday! If you're in the contest or are curious to see what's going on, direct yourself to http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=28555.0

-- New game for download! Kingknight has posted ZFGC - Grass Slicers Mini. Check it out and give Feedback at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=61

The Best of the Forum (BF0102)
Here are some of the best quotes of the past week or the most relevant topics of the moment:

Fat Princesses? Fat Feminists? Bears? Oh My!
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=29700.0

The Clash of the Titans
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=29764.0

An excerpt:

Are Zelda-themed Fangames Cursed?
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=29739.0

The Walnut Story Repository
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=29829.0

HEY GUISE, REMEMBER MALL-RATZ?!
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=29830.0

Got a topic you think should be featured next week? PM Dantz!

The Big Question (BQ0102)
In this new section, we'll ask a relevant or interesting question to the community each week, which everyone can discuss, comment on, and generally go gaga over.

This week's question: Besides Spam, if ZFGC were to add another board, what would you like it to be?

Join the discussion at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?board=19.0

Got an idea for a Big Question? PM Dantz!

Check out our featured project in the next post!

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 04:27:59 pm by 4Sword »
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
Re: July 27, 2008 - ZFGC Weekly
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 05:02:35 pm »
  • b e p i s
Featured Project (FP0102)
This week's featured project is the Zelda Fan Game Central Fan Fiction, headed up by Kylink. Here's an interview with him about the project: how it started, where it's going, and what it's like to do something like this.

For the uninitiated, what exactly is the ZFGC Fan Fiction about? Does it have a proper title?
The ZFGC Fan Fiction is a fictional story based in a turbulent times, with the characters being based on the people who frequent Zelda Fan Game Central. It doesn’t have a proper title right now, however it will eventually.

How did you get the idea for this project?
Well, the short version is that I saw a topic of Moldrill’s titled “Zelda Fan-Fiction”. The long version is that I’ve been interested in the characters of ZFGC being in a story ever since someone was going to make a game that had various people as heroes or villains.

How has the community helped you so far with ZFGCFF?

Well, there isn’t much they can help me with so far, but a lot of the ideas for characters are based a lot on the descriptions that they have given to me. Knivu (Dantz) has helped me significantly with proofreading so far, and it’s been a big help. I have an idea that after this initial story is done, people can take up this ZFGC mythos and write more stories to do with their characters.

A lot of writers would say that this isn't technically a fan fiction, due to the fact that not only is this not based on someone else's material per se, but also because of the negative stigma fan fiction bares, especially on the internet. What are your thoughts on this?
Well, they would have a point. I suppose this isn’t an actual fan fiction, but a fictional story with characters designed mostly by ZFGC.

How long are you expecting it to be? Just ballpark, really.
Hmm, I would say anywhere in the realm of 20-30 chapters. I’ve condensed the story a little bit, because I do want this finished and not to sit on the shelf. I’m intending there to be various parts, each about 6 or so chapters long.

Have you ever attempted a long-term project like this as a writer before?

I have attempted, but never to this scale. I tried to make a fictional story, but thought that it wasn’t good enough to continue. With everyone on ZFGC pushing me to complete this however, it wouldn’t be so easy to give up.

As a writer, what inspires you?

I would say, just being able to see my own ideas, fleshed out and on the computer (or paper). It's the same thing as a cartoonist, or a video game developer. Seeing an idea unfold.

Have any other writers or stories influenced the direction the story is taking? What are some of your favorite authors or stories?

Well, it might be clichéd, but I really love the book, “1984”. It really laid out a framework for a government or group that isn’t exactly what you expect, and wasn’t  really a typical story. I also loved “The Lord of the Rings” because of the attention to detail and the way that the characters each were different but believable.

How do you decide where members fit in within the story? A particularly creative example is using Source as "The Source", which is not a person at all but rather the foundation of religious teachings in the world of Falchion.

Well, I suppose it has a lot to do with the names in general. Take names like Crystalangel, Source, Infinitus, Lunar…they have a very mythical edge to them. Then other names are not quite as easy to categorize. I try to include everyone as what they would like to be though. It’s no fair for me to take liberties with what someone wants. Small changes can be made, but they are just to fit into the story.

When creating a member's character, do you go strictly by what the member says or kind of throw in a bit of your own thing? Sort of like a reflection of the member's actual personality in their character in the story, I mean. Obviously the "Sora" character is a very humorous example of this.
Well, like I was saying before, I like to stay true to what people want. However, there has to be a bit of leeway to it. For instance, Hammer Bros. Mike (Yubel) wished to be a wise older character. There was a niche for a stronger, but still wise character, and so I changed him to be a little more…well…badass. Obviously, if a person has a certain reputation, it would make sense for it to be reflected in the material. For instance, Sora, or as you will see soon, Pedlya.

Cole is still a kid in a lot of ways. How is this going to impact the obviously great difficulties he will encounter in his journey?
Well, I like flawed heroes. Cole for one, he isn’t brave and he isn’t skilled. In fact, being born into royalty, he may be more of a hindrance than anything. However, he knows what is right and what is wrong and he has a strong duty to his father, and Falchion, being the prince.

We've seen that obviously things in Falchion aren't exactly...rosy, but there's a different problem that affects all societies both real and imaginary: class struggle. Can you give us a few more details of just how the classes work in Falchion?
Well, it’s a lot like what we’ve seen over centuries in real life. The people in the Falchioncastrum (castle) live in luxury, especially Cole and the king. The people in the street however, live in desolate and poor conditions. The regime that takes over Falchion’s castle might even be an improvement. They are attempting to overthrow a bad government, but through violence. It’s not black and white in the story, and the main character may not be doing what is right.

In Chapter 3, we see the story take a much, much darker turn. Are things going to continue in this direction, level out, swing back, or will we just have to wait and see?

Well, this was the revolution that is overtaking the city. As will be seen in the story, the farther away from Falchion that you are, the less you have to worry.  Later in the story it will even out more, as there are more diversions and ‘side stories’ that the hero goes through. Some might even be a little light hearted.

The ZFGC Fan Fiction has a lot of the primary ingredients for a good story: a flash-bang introduction, a flawed hero, a large cast of characters, constant and often violent plot twists, and a world full of constant conflict. Which one of these do you think is the most important for telling a good story?
I would say a clever combination is the best medicine. A good intro won’t do anything, but it must draw in the reader. The flawed hero offers a good insight into the mind. A large cast of characters adds variation to the plot and a struggle of ideas. Plot twists and conflict obviously drive the story, and are essential. Obviously I like to make an interesting story, and I guess all of them really do work well.

Up until this point in the story, we've seen a generous mixture of the two dominant styles of fantasy literature: more politically driven, semi-realistic stuff like A Song of Ice and Fire and more whimsical, magically influenced stories like The Wheel of Time. Do you see the story continuing this blending of both elements, or eventually sliding into a general mold?
Well, I would hope that as it progresses, it keeps a fairly realistic tone. At no time is a magical fairy going to come into the world and save everything. It’s not that simple. However, it’s not a documentary. I’ll offer a lot of fun stuff into the mix.

What can the community do to help with your efforts?

For now, support it and offer opinions on what you want for your character. Right now, I need more people to suggest themselves as characters. For now only about 10-20 people are in the story, and I definitely need more. As I stated previously, I would love for people to make their own branching stories after this is done.

Have you thought about perhaps distributing the story in a unique way when it is finished? Perhaps asking some of our artists to do some illustrations?
Thank you for saying this, I would like to mention that anyone who wants to draw up characters would be a big help. When this is done I would love for it to be made into an online comic or *crosses fingers* a game. It would make an interesting community project for sure.

Know a project that you think deserves to be featured? PM Dantz explaining why and providing a link!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 05:04:45 pm by Dantz »
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 03:41:39 am »
Hey, this is a great and useful topic. I'd love to see this thing continue weekly.

I didn't know much about the fan-fiction thing (just a little bit about it), but this interview was very helpful and interesting.

I'm surprised and slightly disappointed more people haven't posted here, yet. Great job, Dantz.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 03:43:51 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Great. Now if my topic was here, it would be much better! LOL JK, I think. Great job though!

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 05:42:54 am »
WOOT!!! I made it onto the first weekly!!! *Tetiro print screens the page to keep forever!!*
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 05:33:44 pm by King Tetiro »
  • Phoenix Heart

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:57:22 pm »
I just noticed a typo in Kylink's interview. Isn't Yubel also Hammer Bro. Mike, not Bros? *checks* Yeah it's Hammer Bro, not Bros. Just thought you should know.

Also, now I'm wondering if my character in ZFGCFF will be a cross-dresser >.> And w00t for LoZFGC reference!

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 04:40:31 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
I just noticed a typo in Kylink's interview. Isn't Yubel also Hammer Bro. Mike, not Bros? *checks* Yeah it's Hammer Bro, not Bros. Just thought you should know.

Also, now I'm wondering if my character in ZFGCFF will be a cross-dresser >.> And w00t for LoZFGC reference!
Oh sorry, that was my fault. (the typo)
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 04:42:51 pm »
I figured as much. Also, slightly off-topic. I made another character at RPM and I was wondering if I could swap out my current character in the story for my new one. Unless you've already integrated my character in the story. Otherwise, I'll post the new character's story and everything over at the topic, okay?

• Mirby Studios

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 01:54:02 am »
  • The Mike
Nice article and I'm glad to see one of my images up for this week's issue. I have an idea but it may cause troubles in the future. Member of the Week? I dunno. Then, we could vote for each MotW for the month and find the MotM. Just an idea but I thought it'd be cool and possibly get some insight on that MotW/M.

• Zelda Eternity

DeathTailsz

Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 01:35:06 am »
  • Angelic Hymn
Great idea, a weekly issue about stuff.   I'd probably skip to the Future project questions, mainly cause they look intresting, and the ability to look into the eyes of the author of the game.

"More like Stupei Ace Defective!" - Yukari - Persona 3
  • StarFox 2D
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »
Awesome! Those are some really nice articles you've got there. I think this is a good idea. It'll make me to check ZFGC at least every weak before I forget about ZFGC for a month :P Also, I'm glad to see my Chesu-edit picture here XD Thanks Dantz ^^
  • Virtual Security
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 55 queries.