Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for critique on base animation - Side-scroller  (Read 4944 times)

Looking for critique on base animation - Side-sc...
« on: July 08, 2016, 12:24:55 am »
I was going to stick with 32x32 but as I enlarged it two fold, I think I will end up going 64x64 as I can add in more details later.  I put zero stock into my spriting capabilities.  I been itching so hard to make a U.N.Squadron meets Contra type side-scrolling/platformer/shoot'em up for years.  I am not getting any younger and my engines are fully capable of pulling it off.  So, it is time to get the excuse out of the way - sprites.

I am intentionally going for deformed style.  The end result is going to be an homage to SD Gundam/SD Games as the main character is going to be a robotic mech and I decided that a more "cute but badass" style would be appropriate for the genre.

Just looking for ways to improve/tweek the current animations.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
Re: Looking for critique on base animation - Sid...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 06:36:45 am »
  • .越//
the animations looks good, but should he be "walking"? i would think that in a contra-like game the character has to somewhat "run"

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 01:17:34 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Yeah, it looks like he's walking. Is that intentional?
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 06:51:11 pm »
the animations looks good, but should he be "walking"? i would think that in a contra-like game the character has to somewhat "run"
Yeah, it looks like he's walking. Is that intentional?
For the most part - yes.  The game is designed in the fashion that every level is an auto-scroller.  There will be a finite speed for the player in similar fashion to arcade style shoot-em ups that don't include speed power ups.

I guess an actual in-game experience would be the better way to experience the animation with movement speed.  As I continue to work on the sprite, I can put together a nice walking demo so you can feel it out.  Pretty much already have one put together.  :P

In the end, the game won't feel like a fast paced action game like Contra as in the overall speed of the game.  Instead, it will be a platformer/combat system like Contra put into a horizontal 2d-shooter with a slower pace similar to Super R-Type/UN Squadron/Gradius.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Darklink45

aka Faded Led
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 06:36:45 am »
It looks real nice, the motion has good weight. There are minor diferences that I can spot between the legs, the purple one has a soft movement with smooth curves, but the grey one is a strong step, maybe as hard as a stomp (that could be because the body moves down a bit or the hard edges the leg has).

That difference in movement can make the character look like he's limping.
Personal site: Faded Led
People die when they are killed.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 02:21:41 pm »
It looks real nice, the motion has good weight. There are minor diferences that I can spot between the legs, the purple one has a soft movement with smooth curves, but the grey one is a strong step, maybe as hard as a stomp (that could be because the body moves down a bit or the hard edges the leg has).

That difference in movement can make the character look like he's limping.

Yeah, I see it now.  The purple(front) leg needs to be pointed out before it touches the ground.  It is slightly curved right now in the one frame before it touches.  Will be working on that.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 46 queries.