ZFGC.com > Updates

NCFC 2016 Booth Registration is Open.

<< < (3/3)

Zhello:
True. Some with the focus of making this mario game or that pokemon game then get a sudden take down just don't come up with ideas easily afterwards. There are others who have a plan if anything like this were to happen, like Dream Mix's project for example.

I ran into one video sometime ago some dude was saying if they take down his game, he's done with game making lol, but I guess some people don't consider making their own thing aka have a plan B then again some people know the risk of making a fan-made project from the beginning.

Starforsaken101:

--- Quote from: Zhello on September 14, 2016, 08:24:43 pm ---True. Some with the focus of making this mario game or that pokemon game then get a sudden take down just don't come up with ideas easily afterwards. There are others who have a plan if anything like this were to happen, like Dream Mix's project for example.

I ran into one video sometime ago some dude was saying if they take down his game, he's done with game making lol, but I guess some people don't consider making their own thing aka have a plan B then again some people know the risk of making a fan-made project from the beginning.

--- End quote ---

Equally, if you do want to continue fan-gaming, just don't publish the exe publicly online. You could always send it over to some people to show off your work, or put screenshots or something (I don't think Nintendo goes apeshit over screens).

And what? Wow that guy! Game making is painful, and honestly making your own thing is like 10000% cooler.

Martijn dh:
Making an original game is hard work and honestly: I've already got a full time job. Yes, originallity is cooler and all that. But there is always a downside in terms of cost (=time etc). Larger then what I'm willing to invest into a hobby. It's easy to say people should change their plans but then I think that converting to another engine has already taken me over 2 extra years. (Also I suck at spriting so going fully original is not very plausible right now). Finally, not everybody is in it for money righ now (being that hobby and all). I'm pretty content just making "unoriginal" stuff if people end up enjoying it. And knowing that I build+own a custom engine.

Personally I'm not worried about Nintendo. Those that receive DMCA's have tried to make money of their resources (=how stupid can you be), or have made games so good that it competes with Nintendo in the sense that it raises the bar on their projects (=it's harder to ask money for a game worse then mere fangames of the same IP now can you). Making money is a choice and I don't believe most/my project(s) are THAT good.

Starforsaken101:

--- Quote from: Martijn dh on September 15, 2016, 06:13:15 am ---Making an original game is hard work and honestly: I've already got a full time job. Yes, originallity is cooler and all that. But there is always a downside in terms of cost (=time etc). Larger then what I'm willing to invest into a hobby. It's easy to say people should change their plans but then I think that converting to another engine has already taken me over 2 extra years. (Also I suck at spriting so going fully original is not very plausible right now). Finally, not everybody is in it for money righ now (being that hobby and all). I'm pretty content just making "unoriginal" stuff if people end up enjoying it. And knowing that I build+own a custom engine.

Personally I'm not worried about Nintendo. Those that receive DMCA's have tried to make money of their resources (=how stupid can you be), or have made games so good that it competes with Nintendo in the sense that it raises the bar on their projects (=it's harder to ask money for a game worse then mere fangames of the same IP now can you). Making money is a choice and I don't believe most/my project(s) are THAT good.

--- End quote ---

I never said you had to make money lol. It's just one of the many arguments as to why making something original is much better than making a fangame. I'm not saying people should just get up and stop, I mean christ I'm an admin here and I'm helping on a community FAN GAME. If you re-read you'll notice that I'm literally just listing reasons as to why originality is better if you want to dodge Nintendo.

I understand the difficulties of dealing with a hobby when you have a full-time job, man. Come on lol.

Martijn dh:
My point was not to say that you were wrong or that your arguments were wrong, but rather that there are plenty of equally vallid counter arguments not to do so. Discussions about originality with strong opinions erks me a little because of how easy the comment to change can be made while listening would result in tons and tons of extra work (which like I said in my previous post) people might not want. If we're however talking about not already having a private project and wanting to start something new... then I'm onboard with your comments Starforsaken101.

Also, my last post was made early morning right before work. So if it came across as crude or something: there is your reason. XD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Go to full version