Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Hero of Time Movie!  (Read 5219 times)

The Hero of Time Movie!
« on: October 19, 2009, 10:04:57 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
EDIT:
Click here for the release information:
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=35156.msg394089#msg394089

Yes, I know there's an old topic about The Hero of Time movie (Old topic: http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=13195.0)
But the last post was in 2007 and I didn't want to grave dig.
I'm posting this new topic about it because I thought some of you Zelda fans might not know that the movie has been released! Yep, the movie actually has been shown in theater in Atlanta, New York, somewhere in Germany, and also in Pasco (might have missed one).

There's much more info (and video clips!) at their official website:
http://www.theherooftime.com/

I know the movie isn't going to be of professional quality, but heck, it's free and I'm a big Zelda fan, so I'm very excited to see it.  XD

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:16:14 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
Re: The Hero of Time Movie!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:24:35 pm »
  • b e p i s
It may be good for the budget, but I mean...it still looks pretty crappy :/

Still, best of luck to them I guess.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 03:32:07 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.

I'm inclined to agree... but I'm biased... I hate fanfics, and this is basically a fanfic + moving pictures depicting said fanfic.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 04:33:55 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Is there a trailer or something?  I can't find crap on that website.

Not that I care.  It seems like there's a new Zelda "movie" every few months, and they all have one thing in common: they shouldn't have bothered.

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 06:25:44 pm »
  • b e p i s

I'm inclined to agree... but I'm biased... I hate fanfics, and this is basically a fanfic + moving pictures depicting said fanfic.

Same here. I don't necessarily mind fan fiction that captures the spirit of the source material, but 90% of it - including this - doesn't it.

Also, it doesn't help you for !@#$% as a writer.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 08:49:06 pm »
I've taken a look at the trailers on their site, but I must say that I'm not really warming up to this. Actually it leaves me really cold. Of what I have seen, I must say that it leaves much to be desired in the production department. The story, the sets, the characters and props are all directly from OOT. As a matter of fact I can almost say for certain this is OOT in movie format.

The trailers and music can't beat IGN's April fools joke, but I'm glad that one was left to be nothing but a trailer.

I have read once that Shigeru Miyamoto always intended Zelda to be much more than just a videogame. That people were busy with Zelda outside of playing video games. But fanfiction never really was to my liking. In the games Link has no lines, has no personality. The player actually has to become Link and define his personality. Even if he is set in the role of a hero. That is why you can also choose your own name to use. In fanfiction on paper and on the screen you are nothing but an observer. It is most likely that you are going to be disappointed, because the Link character never is how you have always imagined it. And you can't make a story where Link says nothing and let the reader/viewer fill in Link's part of the dialogues.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 09:20:03 pm »
Still waiting for a movie based on the Metroid series. I never cared for the series, but it could really be a good movie if handled well. Kind of Tomb Raider-ish. I have never seen a (fan) Zelda movie that did not make me cringe because of the too obvious low budget and crappieness of it.  :-X
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 06:31:06 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Is there a trailer or something?  I can't find crap on that website.
Here's the newest trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPTpjK88apc
I actually downloaded the trailer in high quality off of their website, and it makes it more more watchable (though I admit, there are points in the trailer that seem much less than professional). I'd give the link but it doesn't work anymore... hmm, k.

Anyway, I just want to see what this movie is going to be like. Who knows, it might be better than it looks. At least they got better looking people to play the characters than in the IGN trailer (younger, for sure).
And when it all comes down to it, after seeing all kinds of Zelda movie crap out there that other people have made, I have come to a conclusion that this is as good as we're gonna get for a Zelda film.

Sure it's not going to be pro, but heck, it should at least be entertaining. Plus a bunch of Zelda-crazed fans say they loved it in their "HoT updates" on the official website that I already posted in my first post (editing trick you say?... if you don't get it, nm)

So, I admit that the movie isn't anywhere near pro (duh), but there is something undeniably  professional about this movie, and that is the music by George R. Powell. You can download it here:
http://www.theherooftime.com/epic-music/
You can hate the movie, but how the heck could you hate this amazing music?!

Anyway, I'm not just going to say the movie sucks without seeing it... maybe after seeing it, but I'm just really curious to see what these people can deal out. I'm at least going to give it a chance.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 06:44:05 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 02:40:21 pm »
You can all hate all you want, but you gotta give them props for actually finishing it.

And it doesn't look THAT bad, it's nowhere near the quality of a movie with a 60 million dollar budget, but who the hell would expect it to be?
My only nitpick about it would be that Link speaks. I would have much rather have had him mute. It'd add more mystery to the character/story, even if they had to explain his muteness as some medical condition or something lame, I don't care. It would have just felt more like a Zelda movie overall in my opinion.

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 05:33:06 am »
  • b e p i s
I feel like the special effects are way too much after watching the newest trailer. The problem with doing them in excess is that if they aren't done right, it REALLY hurts the movie. With care, they could have avoided using NEARLY as much CGI as they did. The skull and dodongo are particularly nauseating.
The Hero of Time Movie! Worldwide Public Release...
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 12:13:53 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Based on all the negativity there is from all you guys (seriously though, come on guys ::)), I'm not sure if anyone cares about this. BUT, for those of you that do want to see or own the best feature length Zelda movie there will ever be (no no no, Nintendo isn't going to make one) then I give you this information! Whoohaaa!

THEY HAVE FINALLY ANNOUNCED THE ONLINE AND DVD RELEASE DATES FOR THE HERO OF TIME MOVIE!!! Have a look see!

Quote from: HoT Team
Hey everyone! Great seeing all you guys from out west at the screening! The theater told us that you all were one of the better crowds that they’ve had and it was a blast to host the event! Zelda fans rule! Pictures and video of the screening coming soon!

As we announced at the screening, we will be releasing the film through our official partnership with dailymotion.com on Monday December 14th! We are really excited about this! The film will be in High Quality, and in one piece!

Also, for those of you that can’t huddle around a computer with all your friends to watch the film, on December 21st we will be releasing a DVD file to download with instructions on a three step process to make your own DVD of the film!  Free movie for everyone!!!

Even though the film is being released online, the screenings arent necessarily over. They’re getting pretty expensive for us to host, so if you would like to put together an event, contact us at info@theherooftime.com and we’d love to see how we could help. Thanks again for your support!

So online release is: Dec 14th, on dailymotion.com.
And DVD release is: Dec 21st, on the official HoT website(?).
Personally, I'm waiting for the DVD. ^_^

If you want a Zelda movie, you can bet that this is the best you'll get and it's free!
If you hate the very thought of a Zelda movie, then why the heck are you reading this?!
Unlike most of you, I'll save my criticism until after I've seen the whole movie.
  • My Music

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 12:22:27 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I'm still horribly confused how someone can make a movie about a character who has absolutely no personality <_<;;
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 12:50:20 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I'm still horribly confused how someone can make a movie about a character who has absolutely no personality <_<;;

I wouldn't say that Link has ABSOLUTELY NO personality. Very little, yes, but there is something there (i.e. facial expressions in later games, pauses in text when Link sorta talks but really doesn't, etc).

Also, the HoT Team did say (in one of their updates) that they felt Link was a little timid because he never talked in the games.

Besides that, I'm guessing they used something called "imagination." ^_^
  • My Music
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 08:35:30 am »

I wouldn't say that Link has ABSOLUTELY NO personality. Very little, yes, but there is something there (i.e. facial expressions in later games, pauses in text when Link sorta talks but really doesn't, etc).

Also, the HoT Team did say (in one of their updates) that they felt Link was a little timid because he never talked in the games.

Besides that, I'm guessing they used something called "imagination." ^_^

Really?? Because when I watch the trailer 'imagination' and 'creative' are absolutely the last things that come to mind. Like I said earlier it is not more than a ripoff. OOT in movie format. The lack of creativity just oozes of the screen. Even the title is nowhere near creative. No I don't think those guys even have an imagination or they would have used it a lot better.

No, I said it earlier. Zelda is a difficult game series to put into a movie. But you seriously lack imagination and creativity, when you can't even come up with original stuff, no matter how flimsy it is.
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 11:30:45 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Niek, I have learned not to listen to a single word you say. ^_^ (please take no offense)  XD
  • My Music

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 03:24:12 pm »
  • b e p i s
Niek, I have learned not to listen to a single word you say. ^_^ (please take no offense)  XD

He's right though, and perhaps you should set aside your desire for a Zelda film to be completed to examine this a bit further.

The trailer does not say "Zelda" at all other than the characters. It comes across as an entirely unoriginal, badly made fantasy flick. I know I say "badly made" when referring to an independent film, I should be more lenient, etc etc...but I know because I AM a student filmmaker that you can do far better than this on their budget. It all looks so plasticy and ridiculous.

Just because you can do something does not mean you should. I'll still watch the final film, more than likely, but like any other movie with a shitty looking trailer, my expectations are not too high.

Bludleef

Forum Dragon
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 03:48:37 am »
  • Everybody's Gotta Eat.
Niek, I have learned not to listen to a single word you say. ^_^ (please take no offense)  XD

He's right though, and perhaps you should set aside your desire for a Zelda film to be completed to examine this a bit further.

The trailer does not say "Zelda" at all other than the characters. It comes across as an entirely unoriginal, badly made fantasy flick. I know I say "badly made" when referring to an independent film, I should be more lenient, etc etc...but I know because I AM a student filmmaker that you can do far better than this on their budget. It all looks so plasticy and ridiculous.

Just because you can do something does not mean you should. I'll still watch the final film, more than likely, but like any other movie with a shitty looking trailer, my expectations are not too high.

Or maybe you should examine it more.  Their website answer many of these issues you bring especially if you peruse the forums.  

They did not include "Zelda" in the title simply out of respect for the copyright that comes along with using that name.  They had planned to, and have shown it in local theaters around the US and the theaters were more likely to allow them to show the movie without Zelda in the title.

As to the unoriginality this is by no means an exact copy of the storyline in OOT, yes it is loosely based on that storyline, but if you are gonna make a decent Zelda fan film why not use the best storyline that the creators have given.

I will reserve my opinion of the film until I see the whole thing on Dailymotion.com on the 14th, but by all means if you are going to judge the film now before you see it. At least do them the justice of reading the info on their site.  It is obvious a lot of work has gone into this, and I will for one give it the chance it deserves.   This is the attitude I try to approach all independent films with, and without it a good few of good films are missed, yes a lot of bad films are watched, but that is a meager sacrifice.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:50:37 am by Bludleef »

SOME LINKS
 -> Bludsoft Productions
  • Bludsoft

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 04:25:27 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I still don't get why people are so gay for fanfics...

This is a fanfic with moving pictures... :x

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 04:34:01 am »
  • b e p i s
They did not include "Zelda" in the title simply out of respect for the copyright that comes along with using that name.

Yeah I figured that, what I meant was that it doesn't even look like it captures the spirit of the material it draws from.
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 07:44:11 am »
As to the unoriginality this is by no means an exact copy of the storyline in OOT, yes it is loosely based on that storyline, but if you are gonna make a decent Zelda fan film why not use the best storyline that the creators have given.
Well OOT doesn't have the best story line of all the games, there are better ones. But I could have lived with it when they only based the story on OOT (although the time element is most likely taken out). But every scenery, prop and all that (even the music are remixed Zelda tunes) clearly taken from OOT.

For example the moment in OOT when I first left Kokiri Forest and headed to Castle Town. The same image was in the trailer. Or when I rode from Lake Hylia towards death mountain.

I will reserve my opinion of the film until I see the whole thing on Dailymotion.com on the 14th, but by all means if you are going to judge the film now before you see it. At least do them the justice of reading the info on their site.  It is obvious a lot of work has gone into this, and I will for one give it the chance it deserves.   This is the attitude I try to approach all independent films with, and without it a good few of good films are missed, yes a lot of bad films are watched, but that is a meager sacrifice.

I can see that there has been put much work in it. The CGI looks great, even the props are made with care. I am not accusing them to be lazy and not putting work in it. What I am saying is that they are not creative or imaginative.

Oh and make no mistake, I will watch the movie. Just to give them the chance to convince me it is anything but a movie copy of OOT. But the trailer doesn't give me much hope. There is no reason why I shouldn't watch it, because it is free and a movie only takes up about 2 hours of my time.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 78 queries.

anything