Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Update  (Read 10868 times)

Re: Engine Update
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 12:44:43 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Also, another update.  Animations are now working!

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 04:49:16 am »
How are you guys going to work with the overworld areas?
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 01:32:11 pm »
What do you mean, exactly?

thestig

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 01:52:22 pm »
How are you guys going to work with the overworld areas?
The format is already chunked so right off the bat, the engine won't be loading the entire map, but only a small region. Secondly, we're going to skip drawing anything that's beyond a "render-safe" zone, so in other words we're doing renderculling. These are pretty standard tricks. The size of the maps should be of zero concern for the designers because the engine will be able to compensate for the size.

That being said, I want to acknowledge that I've rigged the map format to only be able to do one tileset per map. Each chunk can have different tilesets, but this is only for exceptional cases such as the Overworld. Should a map be submitted and it rely on multiple tilesets, there's a chance it will be shot back at you for to revise. The reason why I say this is because, it's not optimal to simply do that. Will the overworld require multiple tilesets? Yes. Is that fine? Yes. What about a dungeon? Absolutely not. These are considerations that have to be logically factored in.

At this current time, nobody has to really worry about it. This only applies to when we release the editor, which should be coming up soon.
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 04:10:07 pm »
What do you mean, exactly?
What I meant is, if it is in the style MC (which I prefer), ALttP or LA/OOx. But I think gm already answered it.

Then there is a tilesize to consider. 8x8 or 16x16.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:12:11 pm by Niek »

thestig

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 04:16:24 pm »
Well, Minish Cap's tilesizes are 8x8, but the tiles are grouped as 16x16. In the end, it really doesn't matter because if we were to use inconsistent tile sizes now, we'd end up retiling all of the maps anyways(if any have been tiled at this point).

You're pretty much spot-on though.

EDIT: And it's Minish Cap styled... I thought that was clear at this point. xD Sorry. But yeah, Minish Cap. ;p
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 04:54:57 pm »
If you look through the Overworld concept topic, there has been a discussion about that.

Okay, MC with 16x16 tilesize
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 08:17:34 am »
8x8 pixel tiles please. That's what MC uses and allows for so much more variation. However, the editor should allow you to select blocks of 4 tiles in 16x16, as around half of the tiles appear in a configuration like this. Only about half, though.
I'm almost done with the Deepwood Shrine tileset so you'll see what I mean then.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

thestig

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 02:37:35 pm »
I can configure the editor to allow you to select any multiple of 8x8 pixels. 8x8, 16x16, 24x24, etc.. But I agree with the 8x8 being the default tile size. 16x16's too big for some of the assets MC has.

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 06:14:23 am »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
what we can do is something similar to whats done in GBA and SNES games: have 8x8 tiles and then have arbitrarily sized "blocks" i.e. 32x64, 16x64, 64x32 etc. this way it's far more flexible and allows for easier tile flow.
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories

thestig

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 10:51:25 am »
Could do that too. I was just suggesting numbers off the top of my head. These things will be determined once we got all of the assets we need to make some of this stuff a reality, through a meeting between MG and I. We'll come up with the answer.
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 01:57:02 pm »
Well yeah, being able to select 'blocks' of tiles in multiples of 8 both for width and height is pretty much what we need :P Take a look at gamemaker's or RPGMaker's for an example of what I mean, but I think it's fairly standard features to have in a map editor.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

thestig

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 02:30:15 pm »
Yeah, pretty much. I was sort-of half-awake when writing that previous post(which somewhat contradicted what I originally put) though I was thinking in terms of the literal tilesets, not the data in the map editor. I said the post before that the editor could be set up to do any multiple of 8 since the base tile in MC is 8x8.

Besides, Antidote, the numbers you suggested were all multiples of 8 anyways. I was under the impression you were referring to tile sets since I already pretty much closed the debate about the editor itself lol.

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 05:32:11 pm »
yes but what i was suggesting allowed for tiles that aren't right next to each other in the tileset in GM the tiles have to be contiguous.
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 06:35:21 pm »
yes but what i was suggesting allowed for tiles that aren't right next to each other in the tileset in GM the tiles have to be contiguous.

Ohh so you want to be able to group together ANY tiles in the set!

thestig

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 09:39:43 pm »
I don't understand how doing any group of multiples of 8x8 isn't making this possible? Perhaps you're not understanding what I am saying?

EDIT: Here maybe this will clear your confusion up: I am NOT suggesting JUST LITERAL rectangular selections. Being able to select ANY position on the tile set should be possible. After all, you're just adding entries in a set of parameters. All I'm saying is that I'm not going to go for allowing any selection of a given that's less than 8x8 because it simply wouldn't make sense for what our parameters are. And this is just an engine configuration... let's say King of Thieves engine were used for a project that had 4x4 tiles for whatever reason, then a parameter would be passed upon initialization to specify that. It's how the map system works.

Make sense? See I got confused with your first post because I thought you were referring to the actual tilesets in regards to organizing them. And I'm honestly still confused why you're confused so hopefully this clears up your concern.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:46:20 pm by gm112 »

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 12:11:03 am »
what i mean is, creating blocks of common structures, i.e. walls, paintings etc.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 72 queries.