Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: [Demo] Super Smash Bros  (Read 24546 times)

[Demo] Super Smash Bros
« on: December 15, 2009, 02:38:41 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
Hey All!!  It has been a while since I have been n the forum, but I just uploaded my latest project.  Super Smash Bros!!!

Now before you turn away because most Smash Bros remakes don't work very well, I would like to say that a lot of work has gone into making this run smoothly.  I would appreciate your feedback.

Download: Smash Bros

Characters I'm interested in:
-Link (Done)
-Kirby (Just Beginning)
-Fox
-Battletoads (Near Completion)
-Mario
-Luigi
-C. Falcon
-Chrono (From Chrono Trigger SNES)
-Magus (Also Chrono Trigger SNES)
-Pikachu (that little annoying runt)

Recent Updates
-Arwing Added to Sector Y
-Controls are now user definable!
-New levels under development!
-Rash (battletoads) is nearly completed!
-(NEW Level) "Wookie Hole" from battletoads.
     Level Characteristics:  Platform moves up and down the Wookie Hole modifying the Gravity felt by the characters.

Recent Screen Shots:

-AI Battle

-Defend Yourself

Thanks and Enjoy!!

Aero88
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:21:58 am by Aero88 »

DJvenom

super-sage
Re: Super Smash Bros
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 03:04:25 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
That is an incredibly smooth engine! You can definitely feel all the work put into it while you're playing! The movement is very fluid, and all of the attacks are there! Keep up the good work, and this game definitely goes on my radar!

***It actually Feels Like Smash Bros.***

Very true statement! You can even blast the enemy out of the top of the screen, and they go spiraling into the horizon!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 03:09:35 am by DJvenom »
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 03:13:24 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
That is an incredibly smooth engine! You can definitely feel all the work put into it while you're playing! The movement is very fluid, and all of the attacks are there! Keep up the good work, and this game definitely goes on my radar!

Thank you I appreciate it.  Also not included in the demo is the ability to modify game play.  Features like gravity, teams, increasing and decreasing character sizes, acceleration, and attack power just to name a few.  I'll keep working on it as time permits.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 03:16:24 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Aha! YES! One word: SMOOTH.

If people are turned off by the graphics, don't be. It's obvious that they're just placeholders.

This WIP really feels brilliant! The camera acts great! Everything is really feeling good to me here. :)

This has better potential than any other Smash clone I've seen. And I've seen waaay too many. :P
  • My Music

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 03:18:52 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Freaking amazing O_O;;

Played it; very legit
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 03:28:33 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
Aha! YES! One word: SMOOTH.

If people are turned off by the graphics, don't be. It's obvious that they're just placeholders.

This WIP really feels brilliant! The camera acts great! Everything is really feeling good to me here. :)

This has better potential than any other Smash clone I've seen. And I've seen waaay too many. :P

Yes the Graphics are not the best currently, that will come with time.  I have seen quite a few SB clones myself, and they never really were convincing.  That is actually one of the reasons I started this.  Hopefully, This one won't end up in the same category.

DJvenom

super-sage
Re: [Demo] Super Smash Bros
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 04:19:10 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
If anything, it will be the truest to the original SSB clone to ever not be finished ;)
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 04:40:53 am »
  • RyuKage2007
In a word: amazing!

You did great on this, the only problem I had was the controls were a bit awkward, and by that I mean the keys you chose, the whole "y,u,h,j" was kinda weird to get used to. Maybe if you did u-shield, k-jump, j-special, and h-basic it might be a bit easier, at least in the case of the 'wasd' player. That way the extra keys would be setup in another 'wasd' pattern (uhjk) so it might be a bit easier to get used to.

Anyways though, very nice, can't wait to see more :)
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 02:55:38 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
Okay.  I have been working hard.  Demo 2 is ready to be downloaded.  There is quite a bit new.

-Links Boomerang
-Revamped Slopes ( interact better with items and characters)
-Jump through platforms
-Fixed bugs
-Can now choose from three different Levels
     * Hyrule Castle
     * Sector Y
     * A debug level I through in just for fun

-Some other stuff too

Take a look at it http://www.zfgc.com/index.php#?action=games&sa=view&id=147

Thanks for your time and feedback!

Oh yah.  The controls are the same, but I'm hoping at some point to make them customizable, if I can figure out how.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 03:08:38 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
My only peeve with this game is the controls, but this is by far the most flawless SSB game EVER (aside from SSB >_>)
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 03:24:41 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
My only peeve with this game is the controls, but this is by far the most flawless SSB game EVER (aside from SSB >_>)

That is understandable.  The reason I have been hesitant to change it is because I want to keep the keys close together to make it easier for two people to play on a keyboard.  Also because it is the way I'm used to setting up my keys.  It is difficult to satisfy everybody when the keys are not customizable, but I will consider changing them.  Thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 04:39:05 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
Okay.  I have had a number of people say that they would like the controls changed...  If anyone would like to submit a suggestion for the layout of the keys until custom keys can be implemented please do so.  I would like to keep Player 1 on on WASD and Player 2 on the Arrow keys as far as movement is concerned.  Remember that two people should be able to use the same keyboard, so spacing is important.  Thanks!

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 02:06:40 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
How about u-shield, k-jump, j-special, and h-basic for the 'wasd' player, and 5-shield, 3-jump, 2-special, and 1-basic on the numpad for the arrow key player. That might work well.

Also, demo 2 was awesome :).
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 10:57:27 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
How about u-shield, k-jump, j-special, and h-basic for the 'wasd' player, and 5-shield, 3-jump, 2-special, and 1-basic on the numpad for the arrow key player. That might work well.

That sounds great! I second that exact setup.
  • My Music

Sinkin

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 10:34:55 am »
  • Idk
I really love the engine. It's the best Super Smash Bros thats ever been made in Game Maker. But still, I can't wait until you put some other sprites in this work.
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 03:42:50 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
I really love the engine. It's the best Super Smash Bros thats ever been made in Game Maker. But still, I can't wait until you put some other sprites in this work.

Thanks!  Yes the character sprites leave something to be desired currently, but In order to fast track the development of game play some of the graphics have been kinda put to the side.  There is quite a list of sprites required to complete each characters actions, and if the truth be told I'm not the best spriter...  It took me a while just to sprite what I already have.

If anyone wants to help with character spriting I would be happy to post a list for the needed sprites and there dimensions.  Of course credit would be given along with my eternal gratitude.  They just can't be too good or my levels will look like crap... er  more like crap.  XD

Characters I'm interested in: (Also in first post)
-Link
-Kirby
-Fox
-Battletoads (I really want to put these guys in)
-Mario
-Luigi
-C. Falcon
-Chrono (From Chrono Trigger SNES)
-Magus (Also Chrono Trigger SNES)
-Pikachu (that little annoying runt)

-If you want to make a stage that would be cool too, but if you do that put the background and the actual platforms in different files. Any questions just ask.

As far as the controls are concerned I will go ahead and change them to the "uhjk" pattern as suggested so look for that in the next demo.

As far as an update is concerned I am still working on AI.  The holidays slowed me down a little.  The AI is using an A* algorithm with Airslide's Motion Planning Extension for GM.  They can successfully navigate a maze if they need to, and also pick up items.  I still need to make them attack, but it is coming along.  Also a few small glitches have been fixed.  Hopefully it won't be too long before I have the next demo out so you can test it and tell me what needs fixing.  Thanks for all of your suggestions and support!

Ethelon

Awesome Resized Avys
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 04:49:38 am »
Nice job.
I'd suggest for the sprites, you create a model, and take screenshots of its animation, or just use the model itself, since it'll look much better, and I'm sure SSB actually uses models.

Xfixium: "Leader"/Lead Programmer/Lead Spriter,  Cypras: Programmer, Ethelon: Tiler/Spriter, Darklink45: Spriter, Noseblunt3: Spriter,
SinkinDevil: Spriter, Dotyue: Spriter, Tompel: Tiler/Spriter, 
Mamoruanime: Tiler, DJvenom: Spriter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 07:56:55 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Characters I'm interested in: (Also in first post)
-Link
-Kirby
-Fox
-Battletoads (I really want to put these guys in)

BATTLETOADS!!!! MUST HAVE!

Also, imo, just continue using placeholder graphics.
And if you ever end up having multiple people working on different characters, stages, etc: I suggest you (or a good spriter) set a standard spriting style (a set of rules/guidelines), mainly for consistently shaded characters and whatever else spriters need to do for the graphics to compliment each other (i.e. should they be outlined or no? What Ethelon said ^ or no? etc). Otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of really cool characters that don't fit together graphically, and that's just sad.

I wish I knew more about spriting, but I'm still learning and probably not good enough just yet to help out with this. There's no way my graphics could compliment your sexy engine! :P

Also, congrats for PotM! Here's to tasty progress! :)
  • My Music

Sinkin

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 09:50:29 am »
  • Idk
Is there any specific style you are looking for the sprites? Such as how they look. As for Link, he's got alot of different styles when it comes to Super Smash Bros. 
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 06:39:25 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
This is all very good feedback.

I really like the idea of screen shots of a 3D model.  It seems to me doing it this way could save a lot of time.  I would like to put in the actual model, but I have zero experience with 3D projects in GM.  If I were to tackle that now it may end up taking a very long time, but maybe it is easier than I think it is.

Thanks FrozenFire!  You have some good points, I guess I have some thinking and deciding to do.  If the sprites are drawn by me they would most likely end up as placeholders anyway.  If however there was a good sprite set for a character I would probably put them in when I make the character to save time.  Though I admit it would look really weird while some characters were place holders and others completed.  At this point I am thinking not outlined.  For shading I guess as long as everybody uses the same point for a light source we should be okay, but I am speaking from a limited understanding of 3D models as well.

Hmm.. Styles of Link.  Well my sound effects for link are all Toon/Young Link.  I would be happy with either.

Quality wise I guess that depends on what people are capable of doing, but I would not expect anything to be better than N64 graphics, and I would be satisfied with less as long as everything matches.

My main focus is still on the engine, but If I were to get some sprites now it would make it that much easier and faster to make new characters when the time comes.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 74 queries.

anything