Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Un-Named Wind Waker fan game  (Read 15886 times)

Un-Named Wind Waker fan game
« on: September 19, 2010, 12:52:14 pm »
Un-Named Wind Waker Fan-Game!

Well everyone, I was recently thinking of making a Zelda fan-game, and decided that 2D was getting old.  Why not port to 3d? Well, I've been using the Unity 3d Game Engine to create an early beta of a Wind Waker fan-game! All the graphics and sounds are from the original GC game.  I spent hours and hours working through all the model files to find Link's animation files and here it is!

DEMO V0.01: http://www.mediafire.com/?yvpyl1dbaqdycsb

SCREENSHOTS:
[imgzoom]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/ben981/1.jpg[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/ben981/2.jpg[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/ben981/3.jpg[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/ben981/4.jpg[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/ben981/5.jpg[/imgzoom]

Now, on to the bad part... I'm not GREAT with Javascript and I'm going to need a lot of help in order to get the game to function correctly, I can do all of the resource management and working on a storyline.  The engine currently has Running and Basic jumping which will have to be removed and replaced with Zelda style jumping (Auto Jump when running over an edge).  I'll try to upload some video footage when I get capture software OR I could upload a demo.

Please reply and tell me what you think.

-Bazooie
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 09:03:13 pm by Bazooie »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Un-Named Wind Waker fan game
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:26:50 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Wait <_<

Javascript? I don't think that's going to be enough to power much of anything, especially 3d <_<

You sure you don't mean Java?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 02:53:00 pm »
Javascript? I don't know much about Unity and about the languages it supports, but why Javascript?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 03:19:16 pm »
I would imagine it's because of familiarity. Javascript is just as fast on unity as it is with any other language that can be used with unity.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 03:55:32 pm »
Well, we don't necessarily need to use Javascript, we could use any Unity supported language, but I think that Javascript is easiest of all of them.  Anyway, currently I'm working on basic enemy AI.

-Bazooie

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 03:58:43 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Well, we don't necessarily need to use Javascript, we could use any Unity supported language, but I think that Javascript is easiest of all of them.  Anyway, currently I'm working on basic enemy AI.

-Bazooie

If I'm not mistaken Unity also supports C# and Java; both are pretty easy to use/learn as well and probably a bit more flexible.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 04:02:23 pm »
Ah well, it doesn't really matter to me.  What I need is a programmer who is familiar in any of Unity's languages.

Anyway, any thoughts on how the game looks? I've tried to make it look as Wind Waker-ish as possible.  Just wondering whether or not I should change the graphical look.  I personally think it looks almost EXACTLY like the Wind Waker.  :)

-Bazooie
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 05:31:08 pm »
Wait <_<

Javascript? I don't think that's going to be enough to power much of anything, especially 3d <_<

Nope, unity3d uses JavaScript and C#
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 06:19:51 pm »
Ok, I've decided that I'm going to upload the first demo.  Very few features, but it's progress.  There are no jumping or swimming animations yet and I need to figure out how to make Link jump when running over a ledge.  (Think Raycasting...)

Anyway, link: http://www.mediafire.com/?yvpyl1dbaqdycsb

Please tell me what you think.  Oh, and honestly the programming language doesn't really matter that much.

-Bazoie

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 07:47:47 pm »
  • b e p i s
Please tell me what you think.  Oh, and honestly the programming language doesn't really matter that much.

Even as someone who has never been a programmer, I can tell you that yes, it in fact does.

Your demo's not too bad actually. I thought movement felt pretty accurate compared to WW and, despite the obvious collision problems and the fact that there is a JUMP button, it's a good thing to build on for a Zelda game.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 08:09:05 pm »

Even as someone who has never been a programmer, I can tell you that yes, it in fact does.

Your demo's not too bad actually. I thought movement felt pretty accurate compared to WW and, despite the obvious collision problems and the fact that there is a JUMP button, it's a good thing to build on for a Zelda game.

I see.  I'm honestly not a great programmer and the only languages I know anything about are Javascript and GML (Which doesn't really count...).  Sorry about that.  ;)

About the engine, the collisions are probably the least of my worries (FOR NOW), as you state, the jumping is a big problem.  I could easily remove the jumping but I'm having trouble with Zelda style jumping.  I need to look into raycasting.  Thanks for the feedback.

Tell me: Should I make a proper fan-game or a replica of the Wind Waker? By fan-game, I mean custom maps, etc.

-Bazooie
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 08:57:00 pm »
Replicating Wind Waker? Are you nuts? It took Nintendo several years and a team of about 100 people to create that. You are not going to replicate Wind Waker on your own like that. Especially if you aren't a programmer. My advice is to start out by creating something basic. A small island with maybe a few NPC's, a house, some overworld objects and features, some overworld enemies and one dungeon (which could be a dungeon for a larger game). Start simpler and let it grow. If you make the basic and lose interest it is more likely you have delivered some sort of fun game.
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 09:01:30 pm »
Replicating Wind Waker? Are you nuts? It took Nintendo several years and a team of about 100 people to create that. You are not going to replicate Wind Waker on your own like that. Especially if you aren't a programmer. My advice is to start out by creating something basic. A small island with maybe a few NPC's, a house, some overworld objects and features, some overworld enemies and one dungeon (which could be a dungeon for a larger game). Start simpler and let it grow. If you make the basic and lose interest it is more likely you have delivered some sort of fun game.

Aha, I understand.  Well, even a small game will need a team of people working on it.  Anyone want to help?

Anyway, remember that I have pretty much every resource in Wind Waker ripped so it wouldn't take as long to replicate ;)

Ok, I actually have a plan for a Zelda game ready to use, a bit of refining and thats all.

-Bazooie

Dr. Strange

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 07:21:36 am »
Wait <_<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyfu4OwjUEI

This is why Quake 3 can run in a browser, in pure HTML5/Javascript. Can't handle 3D. Really, now? Oh, what about WebGL? Have you not seen the demos where full 3D scenes are rendered within the browser with just HTML5/CSS/Javascript? Everyone aside from IE supports WebGL, which again.. proves your understatement wrong.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 08:05:06 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
But ken, I love you.

Anyway, I wasn't entirely aware javascript had any higher purpose than simple scripting, except again; it appears to me that it's doing just that; scripting out commands from other much larger systems. It's not actually doing !@#$% by itself. I'm not entirely wrong. I just wasn't sure they had written wrappers for js in Unity, or even made a system that utilizes js for higher level 3d. I also stand by my previous statement that a more suitable language would be C# or possibly even Java if Unity supports it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:41:29 am by Mamoruアニメ »
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 02:36:07 pm »
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 02:43:45 pm »
Honestly, that's where I picked up the idea from.  But my version is entirely my own project.  Nothing is from that engine.

Just going through some trouble with Enemy AI and Raycasting at the moment, I'll update when I overcome some problems ;)

-Bazooie
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 07:14:01 pm »
Ok, I had a BIG problem.  For some reason Unity decided to reset EVERYTHING to it's import settings, so I had to put everything together again.  It's pretty much working as normal again now, which is good.  I'm still trying to figure this damn raycast jumping out.  Is there honestly nobody here who knows Javascript or C# who can help out?  I'll try to carry on myself for now, but if anyone can help that'd be great.

-Bazooie
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 05:15:10 am »
Actually there are several people with the knowledge for javascript and C#. But not everyone has the time to help. And some don't even look in the recruitment section. My advice is to create a project in the new project system of the site.
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 06:14:19 am »
Ah, I'll make sure to do that later.  Thanks :)

-Bazooie
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 74 queries.